PDA

View Full Version : forget what you just learned....

Shaneshu87
12-24-2014, 10:18 PM
here recently i have been trying to change many things with my approach, release, foot work, and ball speed. after many weeks of barely breaking average and even shooting 30 under series a few times. i soon realized that i was vastly over thinking things and trying to change WAY to much at once. last weekend i went to a no-tap tournament, i told myself, "i'm just gonna relax, have a few beers, and just have a good time with friends" BOOM 260-300-268 with 3 NT strikes (1 each game) i just cannot believe how much my mental state of mind affected me so much. i felt like i was on auto-pilot, granted i did have to move my feet once but it was back to the basics common sense moves you would make for any house shot. i just shut down my brain basically and let my swing run off muscle memory, let my feet time themselves, and let my wrist/hand do its thing, instead of calculating every single step and every single change on the lane. over all i am very happy with the way i performed and i cannot wait to get back at it next week! ps have a merry Christmas!

got_a_300
12-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Yep when you start trying to work on too many changes
to your game at one time it can be mind boggling and it
can be very detrimental to your game and cause more
harm than good.

It is advisable to work on one thing at a time and get it
to where it just comes naturally without having to think
about it and then move onto the next thing you want to
work on and so on and so on.

Blomer
12-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Nice shooting!

ralphs007
12-28-2014, 03:47 PM
I think it was Sam Snead who said " Too much analysis leads to paralysis". He also said that if you thought about the way you eat, you'd probably stick yourself in the eye with your fork. :0)

fortheloveofbowling
12-28-2014, 05:06 PM
I think it was Sam Snead who said " Too much analysis leads to paralysis". He also said that if you thought about the way you eat, you'd probably stick yourself in the eye with your fork. :0)

With the many analogies between golf and bowling we would all do well to have the tempo of sam snead. The guy was a amazing athlete as well with tremendous flexibility. There are stories of him being able to kick locker room ceilings and standing on a street curb and touching his hands to the street.

mike_thomas93
12-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Having that mentality is key. And yes. Trying several things at once can overwork your mind. One thing at a time. By relaxing and letting your mind concentrate, look what happened. Great shooting.

dnhoffman
12-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Just relax and throw an 800, no big deal, we all do it.

mike_thomas93
12-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I haven't yet -_- not even 600. Nature of not being to bowl very much

Aslan
12-29-2014, 02:35 AM
Just relax and throw an 800, no big deal, we all do it.

What happened? I stopped reading at "no-tap" since anything after that other than "and the bowling alley burned down" is irrelevant.

Dammit. Here I thought I wasn't at the level of power, accuracy, precision, etc.. of a pro bowler but it turns out the only separation between me and them is I think about my shot and they just clear their mind and imagine eating a corn dog. Great.

dnhoffman
12-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Totally missed the "no-tap" lol!