PDA

View Full Version : Need a Ball Recommendation Please

meppwc
01-05-2015, 12:28 PM
I am looking for a ball recommendation.
I am left handed, and bowl in a house with medium to high oil conditions.
I am currently using a Hy-Road Pearl - 15 lbs.
The Pin (circle on the ball) is above and to the left of my outside or 3rd finger.
I bowl between 12-14 mpg with 11 revolutions
(I think that calculates out to 220-250 rpm)

This ball hooks good on the back end with adequate punch if I keep the ball speed down.
But a lot of time throwing at 14-15 mpg is comfortable and that is when my ball doesn't finish hard.

Overall I am looking for a ball with more hook and punch and reaction on the back end when my mph is up. It is comfortable. Just looking for a better ball if it exists.

Amyers
01-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Meppwc Do your revs increase with the higher speed? If they don't you are going to be pretty speed dominate at 15 mph and 220-250 rpm. The first thing to keep in mind usually a different ball isn't going to fix things like a low rev release. I would suggest trying something that has a little more surface and a lower rg to get the ball started up a little sooner. Rotogrip Disturbed, Brunswick Melee Cross, or similar ball should give you a little more traction in the oil. Just don't expect the ball to fix any problems you may have the Hyroad pearl is a excellent ball.

meppwc
01-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Meppwc Do your revs increase with the higher speed? If they don't you are going to be pretty speed dominate at 15 mph and 220-250 rpm. The first thing to keep in mind usually a different ball isn't going to fix things like a low rev release. I would suggest trying something that has a little more surface and a lower rg to get the ball started up a little sooner. Rotogrip Disturbed, Brunswick Melee Cross, or similar ball should give you a little more traction in the oil. Just don't expect the ball to fix any problems you may have the Hyroad pearl is a excellent ball.

The revs do not increase when ball speed increases, if anything the revs decrease. But I appreciate the recommendations and will look at the balls you suggested. Can I assume that I am considered a Lo Rev bowler? If so, I wonder what I need to do to increase the revs?

Amyers
01-05-2015, 01:51 PM
The revs do not increase when ball speed increases, if anything the revs decrease. But I appreciate the recommendations and will look at the balls you suggested. Can I assume that I am considered a Lo Rev bowler? If so, I wonder what I need to do to increase the revs?

It is hard to say without seeing you bowl but revs are mostly generated with the release. I might suggest finding a qualified coach in your area and invest in some lessons before investing more money in bowling balls. Too often people chase the next great ball when the problem is actually in their game. Sometimes after a few lessons the bowlers game changes significantly enough the new ball they bought no longer fits what they need. Even if it really is an equipment issue a good coach can help you identify exactly what you need and improving yourself first can be a real game changer.

Stormed1
01-06-2015, 10:22 AM
+1 on coaching. If you must get a ball I would recommend Hy-Road solid / Roto grip disturbed / Motiv Venom Shock or Covert Revolt just to name a few. I would also recommend talking to your pro shop operator for their recomendation

larry mc
01-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Storm Crux . im not a storm guy and this ball is so good its almost like cheating , mine is drilled pin under and its ridiculous , almost cant miss the pocket with it

dnhoffman
01-11-2015, 11:45 AM
If you're a one trick pony house shot bowler (like me!), and a lot people will probably disagree with me here, but if you just want to spend money and see a result then I'd buy something that allows you to throw fast, and with a large margin of error on a house shot (note: this advice is null and void on any other pattern) that will still carry well no matter badly you botch your shot... This means a pricey high performance ball that most good and experienced bowlers would not, in good conscience, recommend to you...luckily I have no conscience.

Here's some recommendations:

Dv8 ruckus feud
Radical Guru
Storm Crux (or Sync if you can find one)
Roto Grip Hyper Cell

Honestly I'd go with the guru, it has the most length.