PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into bowling. Guidance please?

Steve Mac
01-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Hey everyone, first off, this is my first post! So hey there, My name is Steve. I'm 24 years old.

I was in my bowling prime in high school. Had a nice arsenal of balls that worked for me, had a traveling average of roughly 220, and I believe I have ten 300's, but all in open play. Yeah yeah, I know haha.

My old arsenal was a Morich LevRG sanded for heavier patterns, two Track equations drilled a bit differently. One more rounded roll, and one went a little longer skid/flip. And my Brunswick spare ball.

I got all my stuff out and the spans and finger holes are all way off, And would like to start over. I may plug and redrill the smoother of the equations because I am after a new polished skid flip ball, and I need a heavy oil ball as well.

Last time I went, I was throwing 16 lbs 15.5 mph. I have no idea what my axis tilt and all of that jazz are. I have a cranker style though. I also might go 15 pounds this time because I'm not the biggest guy.

So I guess my question is, I'm looking for recommendations for both balls I need. I think I am going to buy the black and brown Dexter sst 6's for shoes and a 3 or 4 ball roller by KR strike force.

So, since it's been a while, whats hot? What works? And one further, any recommendations on drilling layout?

Thanks a lot guys!

Steve

epiepenburg
01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the forum.

So at the newest, your arsenal is at least 6 years old. A lot has changed in bowling equipment since then. Perhaps the best bet is to meet up with a pro shop and see what they can do for you, they should be able to tell you what new gear is similar to your old gear.

There's a lot of equipment out there these days, most of us on the forum are familiar with what we throw, whereas a pro shop should be more familiar with various equipment.

larry mc
01-10-2015, 04:03 PM
im using storm crux 4 heavy oil to med oil its drilled pin down , ball is so good its almost like cheating. for light oil im using a jet aviator great ball for the breakdown

Steve Mac
01-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys. I did just that the past few days. Met with various pro shop guys. I got hooked up with the track 910a, 15 lbs. Still getting used to it. It's drilled to go long. Thing I've noticed is I really have to watch my speed and give the ball time to do its thing. I like it so far though. Need a heavy oil ball now.

larry mc
01-10-2015, 04:38 PM
crux pin down , u will thank me for it

Steve Mac
01-10-2015, 07:57 PM
I have actually had a few recommendations for the crux haha. Pin down, that means it'll be more of a heavy roller, yes?

larry mc
01-10-2015, 09:48 PM
yes it does

RobLV1
01-10-2015, 10:20 PM
No, it doesn't. Pin down increases the angle to the VAL which causes the ball to rev up slower (go longer) and transition slower at the breakpoint (more of an arcing shape than a hockey stick shape). The notion that pin down balls roll sooner is left over from the days before balls had cores and static thumb weight resulted in earlier roll. Today, the positioning of the core in the ball has rendered static weights meaningless.

larry mc
01-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Storm Lightning Strikes Layout 1
4" x 4" x 3" Layout
http://www.bowlingball.com/images/drill-layouts/Lightning%20strikes%201.jpg

larry mc
01-10-2015, 11:09 PM
http://www.bowlingfans.com/jeff/a/mini_bowling_ball_reaction_guide.htm

larry mc
01-10-2015, 11:15 PM
guess it matters where it is relative to everything else , just find a good driller and tell him or her what u want the ball 2 do

fortheloveofbowling
01-10-2015, 11:35 PM
No, it doesn't. Pin down increases the angle to the VAL which causes the ball to rev up slower (go longer) and transition slower at the breakpoint (more of an arcing shape than a hockey stick shape). The notion that pin down balls roll sooner is left over from the days before balls had cores and static thumb weight resulted in earlier roll. Today, the positioning of the core in the ball has rendered static weights meaningless.

If you put the pin below say your bridge and the mass bias straight down then sure it will go longer. But that is because of the drilling angle being greater which controls the skid length. The angle to the val dictates not the length but how fast the ball transitions at the breakpoint.

Mike White
01-10-2015, 11:46 PM
If you put the pin below say your bridge and the mass bias straight down then sure it will go longer. But that is because of the drilling angle being greater which controls the skid length. The angle to the val dictates not the length but how fast the ball transitions at the breakpoint.

I think you'll find that the drilling angle really doesn't control the skid length.

Coverstock, and surface roughness have a much larger impact on skid length,

fortheloveofbowling
01-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I think you'll find that the drilling angle really doesn't control the skid length.

Coverstock, and surface roughness have a much larger impact on skid length,

Sure surface is probably the first consideration and that is something that high level players adjust a lot with. But i'm talking strictly about drilling angle versus angle to val. But if you want to add surface to the mix, that is why on longer patterns you see guys using some surface to even out the skid and larger drilling angles with the mass bias farther away from the pap so the ball is not as rolly and have some back end. That is if they are trying to create angle downlane. Now if you are trying to play straighter like wrw would do then his drilling would be small angles on both equations to transition the ball in to a roll as quick as possible.

RobLV1
01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
guess it matters where it is relative to everything else , just find a good driller and tell him or her what u want the ball 2 do

How about instead of finding a good driller and telling him or her what you want the ball to do, you find a good driller and ask him or her what ball to buy that was designed to do what you want it to do?

larry mc
01-11-2015, 01:57 PM
he said heavy oil ball , smart guy, how about not being a know it all arrogant ***

Steve Mac
01-11-2015, 03:12 PM
How about the DV8 thug?

bowl1820
01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
http://www.bowlingfans.com/jeff/a/mini_bowling_ball_reaction_guide.htm

Note: The "Mini Bowling Ball Reaction/Layout Guide" of Jeff's is way out of date It's from 2003. That was around when they were still using the old Clock Layout Systems.

RobLV1
01-11-2015, 04:07 PM
he said heavy oil ball , smart guy, how about not being a know it all arrogant ***

So where's the oil heavy; in the heads, in the center part of the lane, tight backends? Sorry you think I'm arrogant. I guess all the time I spend studying this stuff, researching this stuff, thinking about this stuff, and writing about this stuff just doesn't make it as valid as your opinion.

larry mc
01-11-2015, 09:46 PM
its not about your knowledge its the attitude

bubba809
01-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Wow, you take offense to Rob????

..........wait till you get a load of M. White.:cool:

Amyers
01-12-2015, 09:34 AM
How about instead of finding a good driller and telling him or her what you want the ball to do, you find a good driller and ask him or her what ball to buy that was designed to do what you want it to do?

Have to say I agree here. The first step is identifying what the condition is then it's picking a ball that has the correct characteristics to attack that condition lastly is picking the proper drilling and surface to fine tune the reaction. To often people try to make balls be what they want them to be and not what they were designed to be.

Blacksox1
01-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Wow, you take offense to Rob????

..........wait till you get a load of M. White.:cool:

It's MWhite's tough love approach. ;)

Mike White
01-12-2015, 06:21 PM

This hurts my brain on too many levels.

"instead of finding a good driller and telling him or her what you want the ball to do"

Ok, so telling the driller what you want the ball to do is a bad thing.

"find a good driller and ask him or her what ball to buy that was designed to do what you want it to do"

If I'm not supposed to tell the driller what I want the ball to do, how can he/she decide what ball was designed to do what I need, but haven't told the driller?

RobLV1
01-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Mike, you're picking nits on too many levels. I'm on your side here. I'm telling him to trust the PSO in terms of selecting a ball instead deciding on a ball based on all the wrong reasons (my friend throws one, I saw it on TV, etc.) and telling the PSO to perform magic and make the ball do something that it was not designed to do. Like usual, you are so intent on discrediting me, that you can't even see when I'm telling someone to respect what you do.

fortheloveofbowling
01-12-2015, 10:42 PM
This hurts my brain on too many levels.

"instead of finding a good driller and telling him or her what you want the ball to do"

Ok, so telling the driller what you want the ball to do is a bad thing.

"find a good driller and ask him or her what ball to buy that was designed to do what you want it to do"

If I'm not supposed to tell the driller what I want the ball to do, how can he/she decide what ball was designed to do what I need, but haven't told the driller?

Running a pro shop is got to be tough. Sometimes my pro shop operator tells me horror stories about customers. When you deal in customer service and retail there is always going to be problem customers. Mike, as a pro shop operator do you prefer a guy that walks in and says i want that ball and drill it with the pin here etc. or someone that says i'm looking for a ball for this type of condition and want it to do this and asks what do you suggest.

Mike White
01-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Running a pro shop is got to be tough. Sometimes my pro shop operator tells me horror stories about customers. When you deal in customer service and retail there is always going to be problem customers. Mike, as a pro shop operator do you prefer a guy that walks in and says i want that ball and drill it with the pin here etc. or someone that says i'm looking for a ball for this type of condition and want it to do this and asks what do you suggest.

99% of the time when a new customer comes in and asked for a ball, my first question "is when can I see you bowl?"

By watching, I can tell what they currently have, and how it is reacting on the lane.

Based on that information, an educated guess can be made at how other balls will react.

Sometimes the person doesn't need a new ball, just a good cleaning of what they have.

Other times, a simple line adjustment gets them the reaction they were hoping a new ball would get them.

The hardest one to drill for is someone who doesn't bowl where I'm located, and I can't find a time to go see them bowl.

For those, all I really can do is drill based on their arsenal, filling a gap that the might have.

Mike White
01-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Mike, you're picking nits on too many levels. I'm on your side here. I'm telling him to trust the PSO in terms of selecting a ball instead deciding on a ball based on all the wrong reasons (my friend throws one, I saw it on TV, etc.) and telling the PSO to perform magic and make the ball do something that it was not designed to do. Like usual, you are so intent on discrediting me, that you can't even see when I'm telling someone to respect what you do.

You may have noticed I highlighted the word instead.

As a wordsmith, you shouldn't use words that mean the opposite of what you intend.

Had you said "in addition to", things would have been much clearer.

In another thread, you said you were writing an article titled "Bowling Lane Whisperer", or similar.

There again, you mean something completely different than what you wrote.

The horse whisperer (Buck Brannaman), and the dog whisperer (Cesar Millan) both change the behavior of the animal.

Good luck changing the behavior of the lane.

The lane is the whisperer, and the bowler is the one who's behavior needs to change.

RobLV1
01-13-2015, 09:11 AM
You may have noticed I highlighted the word instead.

As a wordsmith, you shouldn't use words that mean the opposite of what you intend.

Had you said "in addition to", things would have been much clearer.

In another thread, you said you were writing an article titled "Bowling Lane Whisperer", or similar.

There again, you mean something completely different than what you wrote.

The horse whisperer (Buck Brannaman), and the dog whisperer (Cesar Millan) both change the behavior of the animal.

Good luck changing the behavior of the lane.

The lane is the whisperer, and the bowler is the one who's behavior needs to change.

Wow, Mike, you are truly a legend in your own mind. You not only know more about bowling than I do, you know more about writing as well, AND you know that I was wrong in my use of lane whisperer without even reading the article. You are amazing, and psychic too.

white_rabbitt
01-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Just have to say...this is great! You guys are cracking me up!

Steve Mac
01-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Soooo I'll try again since my thread has been completely derailed... DV8 Thug a good ball for a freshly oiled typical house shot?

vdubtx
01-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Welcome to Bowling Boards Steve Mac! LOL!

DV8 Thug will be a fine ball for a fresh condition. All depends on how you play the lane and how you can adjust to what the lane is telling you in terms of reaction.

My advice is to get yourself back up to speed with your current arsenal and when you are comfortable start adding to it if you desire.

Mike White
01-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Wow, Mike, you are truly a legend in your own mind. You not only know more about bowling than I do, you know more about writing as well, AND you know that I was wrong in my use of lane whisperer without even reading the article. You are amazing, and psychic too.

Classic, don't defend what you wrote, just attack the one who wrote it.

As for being psychic, time will tell.

All I have to go on is the title, and your track record.

I don't need to know more about writing than a writer to know that the "instead" was wrong.

Like I don't need to be a painter to know that a Jackson Pollock is crap.

larry mc
01-13-2015, 04:54 PM
thug shold be fine , but im loving the crux,, PS. GO MIKE WHITE

Steve Mac
01-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Haha I'm too new to the forum to understand the drama ; )

epiepenburg
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Soooo I'll try again since my thread has been completely derailed... DV8 Thug a good ball for a freshly oiled typical house shot?

I love my Thug, rolled my first 300 with it earlier this season. It's a very aggressive cover stock ball, if you want something even stronger, the Thug Unruly will be out in a few weeks.

rv driver
01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Haha I'm too new to the forum to understand the drama ; )
I'm thinking there ought to be a way for me to sell admission to this dog-and-pony show, and sell popcorn, to boot...

Steve Mac
02-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Well i got the dv8 thug unruly, track 910a, and getting the arctic sniper next week for a spare ball. Think i may also want a lower end dv8 ball for junk lanes.

epiepenburg
02-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Well i got the dv8 thug unruly, track 910a, and getting the arctic sniper next week for a spare ball. Think i may also want a lower end dv8 ball for junk lanes.

The Thug Unruly should be great for fresh oil. Kind of been thinking about either buying one of those myself or buying a lower model for burned up conditions.

The unruly is much stronger than the original Thug. I had a pretty good conversation about it with a DV8 staffer who bowls in one of my leagues. He loves his Unruly, he didn't like his original Thug.

Steve Mac
02-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Definitely agree. I love my unruly. I was actually thinking of getting the original thug as the step down ball as the lanes start to transition from the unruly. Probably polish the thug too. And maybe get a misfit or an outcast for the crap lanes.

epiepenburg
02-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Definitely agree. I love my unruly. I was actually thinking of getting the original thug as the step down ball as the lanes start to transition from the unruly. Probably polish the thug too. And maybe get a misfit or an outcast for the crap lanes.

That would be a good combo.

Steve Mac
02-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a good set up? Getting the arctic sniper spare ball too.

epiepenburg
02-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a good set up? Getting the arctic sniper spare ball too.

Yes, a polished original Thug would make a good ball to transition to. If you then get a dedicated spare ball, you'd be set for most conditions.

Like you previously stated, getting something for burned up lanes would be a wise choice as well. I am thinking about doing the same, my thug and ruckus don't do well in low oil conditions. With my rev rate, the low oil times the Thug becomes unusable even if I move over the left gutter and throw as far right as I can.

Steve Mac
02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Sounds like I have a plan then, haha. Any other suggestions before I go and buy these? I have a track 910a that I go to when the unruly starts hooking too much, but the 910a also is very aggressive and when I move to that ball I usually have to start at 35. I'm right handed.