PDA

View Full Version : 2 Things Confirmed at the Tournament

Aslan
01-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I had two things that were confirmed at my recent tournament:

1) Chris Barnes was right when he said good spare shooting WON'T win you tournaments...but bad shooting can lose you tournaments.

I always focuse on the last part...because I really am trying to get my single-pin spare shooting up to the 80% level. But the first part is absolutely true in today's game as well. You just can't be competitive in today's game if you can't string strikes together. Game 3 of squad 1 on day 1, I made 6 spares out of 8 attempts...and the two misses were a 6-7 split and a 1-2-4-7 washout. Scored a 176. In Game 2 of the 2nd squad on Day 2, I made 5 spares...only missed a 4-7-10 split, 5-6-10 split, and a 1-3-8-9 and a single 3-pin (each barely). End result was a 145.

Splits are going to happen. Washouts and higher degree difficulty spares are going to happen. Expecting a clean game of all spares is about as difficult as a perfect game. But if you strike enough...an occasional missed single-pin or a split...you can still finish in the 250s. You have a couple opens where you're throwing virtually all spares...you probably won't bowl close to your average much less high enough to be competitive.

2) Live by the hook, die by the hook...straighter is greater, etc...

I watched a guy who claims he used to be sponsored by Brunswick or something...high rev guy. I watched a thumbless bowler that had won the tournament as a youth. And I watched a 2-hander that just went from youth to adult level. All 3 of them...I beat their scores in one of the 3 games...despite all of them having well over 200 averages.

How? Because when they were ON...they were almost unbeatable. It seemed like they just needed to be "near" the pocket to strike. BUT....when they were OFF....they were AWFUL. All 3 of them thought they were superstars...and when they were striking they were talking loud and giving people pointers...but when they couldn't strike...they looked like abused pets.

bubba809
01-27-2015, 08:49 AM
BUT....when they were OFF....they were AWFUL. All 3 of them thought they were superstars...and when they were striking they were talking loud and giving people pointers...but when they couldn't strike...they looked like abused pets.

I find that true of most arrogant bowlers.

Amyers
01-27-2015, 09:57 AM
1) Chris Barnes was right when he said good spare shooting WON'T win you tournaments...but bad shooting can lose you tournaments.

The first step in spare shooting is to leave spares you can make. I don't know anybody who can leave those kind of spares (washouts and splits) and be a good spare shooter. When I first got in bowling back in the urethane days my coach would always tell me 9/ is 190. 190 can win. I don't think that's true anymore but if your not consistently getting the 9 your in deep trouble.

I will give you I've never met an accurate no thumbed bowler (I figure they exist I've just never seen it), Most two handers have accuracy issues with spares (I've seen a few who can put the lie to not being able to do it though), High rev guy I don't know most of them I've seen are pretty good if they put the work in to develop the release their games are usually pretty complete from my experience but what your saying is true of any bowler not just these archetypes. When you get screwed up your going to stink it up regardless of bowling style. I've seen Norm and PDW throw some stinkers over the years happens less often to those guys but it still happens. On a THS pattern straighter is not greater generally the more you can bend the ball the greater miss area you can create as long as you keep the shot repeatable. Sport patterns are a different story.

J Anderson
01-27-2015, 10:25 AM

The first step in spare shooting is to leave spares you can make. I don't know anybody who can leave those kind of spares (washouts and splits) and be a good spare shooter. When I first got in bowling back in the urethane days my coach would always tell me 9/ is 190. 190 can win. I don't think that's true anymore but if your not consistently getting the 9 your in deep trouble.

I will give you I've never met an accurate no thumbed bowler (I figure they exist I've just never seen it), Most two handers have accuracy issues with spares (I've seen a few who can put the lie to not being able to do it though), High rev guy I don't know most of them I've seen are pretty good if they put the work in to develop the release their games are usually pretty complete from my experience but what your saying is true of any bowler not just these archetypes. When you get screwed up your going to stink it up regardless of bowling style. I've seen Norm and PDW throw some stinkers over the years happens less often to those guys but it still happens. On a THS pattern straighter is not greater generally the more you can bend the ball the greater miss area you can create as long as you keep the shot repeatable. Sport patterns are a different story.

1) I hope you're not including sport patterns. I see good bowlers leave big splits and washouts every Monday. Iv'e also seen some regional pros who are very good at converting washouts into spares.

2) I agree about the THS. Unless you have at least some axis rotation, the THS is no help at all.

Amyers
01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
1) I hope you're not including sport patterns. I see good bowlers leave big splits and washouts every Monday. Iv'e also seen some regional pros who are very good at converting washouts into spares.

2) I agree about the THS. Unless you have at least some axis rotation, the THS is no help at all.

On part 2 yes sports patterns are a different story. Somewhat on part 1 although splits and washouts are more expected that first ball becomes even more important and on really difficult patterns 9/ can really be a winner. Yes a bowler can raise his percentage on those difficult shots but you will never convert washouts or splits at the same rate you can convert single pin spares.

Aslan
01-27-2015, 02:59 PM

My hypothesis as to why my sport and THS averages are so similar is sort of exactly what you're elluding to. The lesser the hook you throw...the lesser that dry/hold THS philosophy holds true. There have been many PBA patterns where I throw the exact same shot I'd throw in my THS league. Many of the players have to adjust based on the pattern...I don't really.

To me, the only thing that makes the sport patterns a little harder is you really do have less miss room than normal...but for me...it's a board or 2 difference. For some of the rev dominant players...their miss room on a THS is 6-7 boards right and 2-3 boards left. I have about 2 boards left and 3 boards right...and those misses are unlikely to carry. On a sport pattern, for me, it's more like +/- a board each direction.

foreverincamo
01-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Missing single pin spares cost you 11 pins on average. That adds up on a block for a tournament. And seeing how I just shot an 8 strike 182 game, throwing only strikes didn't save that game. 4 opens on splits. The elite players are over 95% on single pin spares. Chris Barnes and Major Mika both majors on missing a single 10 pin.

Hobbit
01-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Amyers, got it right, focus on leaving makeable spares at worst case here....

The strikes should look after themselves, however in saying this, it might be prudent to point out that if u can't average over 6 strikes per game, u will be never get beyond the 220 range, let alone dreams of regional/tournament quality kinda bowler here.. Fine tune adjustments are sometimes all that is needed.. But u have to be right on moving quickly, but only after leaving a succession of ringing or flat 7 or 10's.

Foreverincamo, I've seen both those final games of the 2 bowlers, u just feel for them, hell of a way to lose a title!!

For me my recollection of my tournament experiences are rather grim :( My strike ball was too slow, and my single percentage was too low.. Something that I am working now on! Had to be very accurate, unfortunately the THS made me pretty soft haha.. Humbling experience.