PDA

View Full Version : It takes talent to strike as a hook baller...........

Hammer
02-01-2015, 06:20 PM
When you think about it it takes some talent to throw strikes with a ball that is hooking down a 60' bowling alley. You kind of have to know how to adjust on the alley to get a strike. Let's see, you have 60' of alley which has oil on it and a topografy all its own. There are probably people that have a hard time being able to do it and may struggle for some time. Plus you have to know what kind of ball to use depending on what type of pattern you bowl on.

How many times have you seen people that are on leagues and throw the ball straight down the alley trying to hit just right to get a strike that way. Not everyone can get the hang of throwing a ball with a hook to strike. So it does take some kind of talent to throw a heavy ball up to 16# down a 60' slippery alley and get it to hit just right for a strike while hooking. Plus the deeper you play and the bigger the hook makes it even harder. So you have different degrees of hook. We all just have to find how much of a hook we can handle and get the right ball for the right condition we bowl on to make it work.

Some bowlers never get to that point. I see all kinds of people from young to old that never get to the point of hooking a ball to the pocket. They have been throwing straight balls all of their life using a ball with conventional drilling. There are those of us that took the plunge and got a fingertip ball that had the right surface for the condition we bowl on and stuck with it so we could get good at striking with a hook ball. When you finally get it as right as you can it is a good feeling of accomplishment. When you get to the point of stringing strikes then the work you put into it to get to that point was all worth while. You went from a straight baller to a hook baller and never looked back.

fortheloveofbowling
02-01-2015, 06:36 PM
When you think about it it takes some talent to throw strikes with a ball that is hooking down a 60' bowling alley. You kind of have to know how to adjust on the alley to get a strike. Let's see, you have 60' of alley which has oil on it and a topografy all its own. There are probably people that have a hard time being able to do it and may struggle for some time. Plus you have to know what kind of ball to use depending on what type of pattern you bowl on.

How many times have you seen people that are on leagues and throw the ball straight down the alley trying to hit just right to get a strike that way. Not everyone can get the hang of throwing a ball with a hook to strike. So it does take some kind of talent to throw a heavy ball up to 16# down a 60' slippery alley and get it to hit just right for a strike while hooking. Plus the deeper you play and the bigger the hook makes it even harder. So you have different degrees of hook. We all just have to find how much of a hook we can handle and get the right ball for the right condition we bowl on to make it work.

Some bowlers never get to that point. I see all kinds of people from young to old that never get to the point of hooking a ball to the pocket. They have been throwing straight balls all of their life using a ball with conventional drilling. There are those of us that took the plunge and got a fingertip ball that had the right surface for the condition we bowl on and stuck with it so we could get good at striking with a hook ball. When you finally get it as right as you can it is a good feeling of accomplishment. When you get to the point of stringing strikes then the work you put into it to get to that point was all worth while. You went from a straight baller to a hook baller and never looked back.

There is a huge difference between talent throwing a hook and a talented release. A talented release is what you see commonly from good players at a local level. Those are the guys because of their talent that can open up the lane from inside and carry shots they missed way left down lane. Their release is so good that when they miss in to the oil and carry half pocket hits they can get the 10 out. Know a great bowler throwing a hook and being a shot maker is different. Case in point, look at the cheetah show where dick allen was playing around 4th arrow out to 5 and repeating shots. That angle is so tough it is unbelievable and when he missed by a board both ways late to lose you saw that going through the nose and coming up light for the 7-10. At that angle you could literally miss by a half board with your feet and get the wrong reaction.
Having said that, yes it is a talent to develop a powerful release and i respect all players at all levels for that ability. There just is a big difference between release and shot making.

Aslan
02-02-2015, 03:06 PM
#straighterisgreater

Bradski9
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
#straighterisgreater
Hahaha! I was expecting a couple paragraphs from you aslan and here I click on the thread I see one hash tag. #StraighterIsGreater

Aslan
02-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Hahaha! I was expecting a couple paragraphs from you aslan and here I click on the thread I see one hash tag. #StraighterIsGreater

Some things don't deserve more than a quick response.

Mudpuppy
02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
According to MWhite it takes no talent just ride the wall of oil. #expectnothinglessfromasurfer

Mike White
02-06-2015, 05:15 PM
According to MWhite it takes no talent just ride the wall of oil. #expectnothinglessfromasurfer

There is a youngster bowling juniors who is averaging 200+

His "style" makes Aslan look like a technician.

He throws house balls, right handed, high rev, high loft, backup balls.

Don't ask him to pick up a spare, not likely to happen.

I'll try and catch a bit of video of him tomorrow.

If you take away the wall of oil, he either averages 120, or quits bowling.