PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable Thumb Inserts.

FireCapt782
02-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Thinking of going to these as I can never get a good fit or feel with thumb. Always seems loose. Pros or cons ?

Perrin
02-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Thinking of going to these as I can never get a good fit or feel with thumb. Always seems loose. Pros or cons ?

major advantage = THumb in all of your equipment will feel the same.
con = chance of breaking the ball part of the system and that ball becomes unusable until repaired.
Major Con = if your insert breaks you are SOL on being able to bowl with any of your balls (this can be alleviated by keeping at least a few extra thumbs... but then you're back to having different feels)

Over-all it can be great if you have thumb issues.

Blacksox1
02-05-2015, 11:49 PM
I see no cons. I have 3 inserts.

Mike White
02-06-2015, 04:35 AM
The cons I see are exist if you have a tendency to flare over the thumb hole.

That is very hard on the pieces locking the thumb in place.

FireCapt782
02-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the input so far, I will be talking with my pro shop tonight to see if he's done any of these.

Gone59
02-06-2015, 06:16 PM
I have been reading on here and like the idea of deferent sizes for your thumb. I work with my hands out side on any given day my thumb might be cut, smashed, dry etc. wood pallets will do that.

rv driver
02-08-2015, 02:17 PM
I have been reading on here and like the idea of deferent sizes for your thumb. I work with my hands out side on any given day my thumb might be cut, smashed, dry etc. wood pallets will do that.
Yeah, I like that idea, too. Hands swell and shrink. I'd like the thumb hole to remain feeling the same size. I'm going to look into the IT system -- my PSO recommends it.

Jaescrub
02-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Do it! Really I can't see why more bowlers don't. One more good thing is you can drop off a ball to get drilled all your pro shop operator has to do is drill it you can pick it up with out even having to get the tumb worked saves time ;)

rv driver
02-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Do it! Really I can't see why more bowlers don't. One more good thing is you can drop off a ball to get drilled all your pro shop operator has to do is drill it you can pick it up with out even having to get the tumb worked saves time ;)
Oh, I plan to, especially now that I'm building an arsenal.

Blomer
02-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Thought many times about getting these. Never have yet! Always interesting to me.

dnhoffman
02-10-2015, 10:07 PM
I love mine, as my thumb swells I only worry about one fix overall

Hampe
02-11-2015, 05:59 AM
I've thought about getting this for a while now, and for me, the biggest con I can see would be the cost to have all my balls re-drilled.

SRB57
02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
It's interesting and the guy who drills my balls wants me to do it. He don't like doing my thumb as it has a knob on the side and is takes some care to do. How reliable is this system? I also use a spare ball so would have to wait for the ball to come back pop the slug out and insert in the spare ball (seems like a lot of time to make people wait). Steve

Fil
02-11-2015, 08:01 PM
I have them on both of my main balls. I have not done it on my spare ball yet. I biggest advantage is its more consistent when switching between different balls. Another thing I have them for is when my thumb swells I can switch to a larger slug.

zdawg
02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Another thing I have them for is when my thumb swells I can switch to a larger slug.

I'm getting it done finally (on one ball to start with) but for the exact OPPOSITE reason. My thumb shrinks a ridiculous amount during the evening.

I've finally gotten to the point where adding tape all night (every couple of frames), then not being able to get my thumb in the next day and removing it all, and then adding more tape every couple of frames over and over and over and over has become so tedious that I need a solution.

I envy bowlers whose thumbs don't change much over the course of 3, 5, 12 or however many games I'm bowling. Anyway, I told my proshop guy I'd bring in my Aura since I really don't use that in my THS league anyway and start with that and see how I like it, before I get all of my balls converted.

Jaescrub
02-11-2015, 10:50 PM
It's interesting and the guy who drills my balls wants me to do it. He don't like doing my thumb as it has a knob on the side and is takes some care to do. How reliable is this system? I also use a spare ball so would have to wait for the ball to come back pop the slug out and insert in the spare ball (seems like a lot of time to make people wait). Steve
My lead bowler had his done before any one else on our team and loved it but he had a thumb made that stays in his spare ball almost 24/7 but in a pinch he could drop it in any ball.