PDA

View Full Version : Ball Weights

jab5325
02-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Do any of you have multiple ball weights that you use on a regular basis?

My current arsenal is pretty aged, and all 16-pounds. My main ball is a 16-pound Ebonite Xxcel. I'm slowly upgrading, and everyone now uses 15. I'm more of a stroker with a long slide, average speed, track close to the thumb hole and not a ton of revs. I'm no Earl Anthony in terms of style, but I'm also not Jason Belmonte or Mike Fagan.

Do you think using multiple weights is a problem?

mc_runner
02-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Generally speaking it's best to take away as much variance as possible between your shots so a lot of times people will recommend (myself included) keeping everything at one weight. But, it's really what you're comfortable with. If you can switch from 15-16 and vice versa without any accuracy or timing issues, go for it.

Gone59
02-10-2015, 03:49 PM
What is the weight that an XL house ball comes in?

Jaescrub
02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Do any of you have multiple ball weights that you use on a regular basis?

My current arsenal is pretty aged, and all 16-pounds. My main ball is a 16-pound Ebonite Xxcel. I'm slowly upgrading, and everyone now uses 15. I'm more of a stroker with a long slide, average speed, track close to the thumb hole and not a ton of revs. I'm no Earl Anthony in terms of style, but I'm also not Jason Belmonte or Mike Fagan.

Do you think using multiple weights is a problem? I would stick with one size, but my wife uses 15lb for everything except her spare ball that's a 12 as she has somehow misplaced her 14 track 100p!!

jab5325
02-10-2015, 04:08 PM
As a side note to this conversation: I've been out of the game for 7-8 years, at least. What's the reason that 15-pounds is now "in" and 16 is an afterthought?

RobLV1
02-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Dynamic cores and reactive resin have made balls so powerful, that most bowlers feel that they don't need that extra pound for carry (there are a handful of PBA pros who still throw 16#, but most throw 15#). Yes, multiple weights is a problem, as it messes with timing.

FireCapt782
02-10-2015, 05:13 PM
All my stuff was 16, After being away for 12 years I'm now getting back into it. My new primary ball (BW Legend) is 14# still use a Gryro Pro 16# at times and my spare ball is still 16#. Looking to upgrade everything to 14 as budget allows.

epiepenburg
02-10-2015, 05:24 PM
My plastic spare ball is a 14lb, and my other two are 15lb. I feel the added speed I can get from the spare ball makes my spare shooting more accurate, as the ball spends less time on the lane. I have up to a 6mph difference between first ball and second ball.

epiepenburg
02-10-2015, 05:26 PM

In my house, the XL balls are either 15 or 16. However the house balls where I bowl, the XL just refers to the finger hole size.

J Anderson
02-10-2015, 05:48 PM

Usually the house balls are marked with the weight and grip size. Some times the weights are color coded as well, like having all the 8# balls in orange,10# in green and so on.

jab5325
02-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I'm continually amazed at how much the game has changed in the time I've been away.

When I stopped bowling, reactive resin and particle were just becoming "things".

What I consider my last ball purchase was an Ebonite Apex Obsession drilled for a lot of back end. That was state if the art when I bought it, and cost a ton. I then stopped bowling around 2004.

In 06, I decided to try out for a college team. When I went back to my parents to get my equipment, I found my Ebonite Pantera to be cracked all around, and my Maxim spare ball to have spider cracks around the finger holes. I hated the Apex, so I bought an Xxcel. I promptly embarrassed myself in the tryout and quit bowling until a few months ago.

What prompted this thread was that I'm bowling in a tournament on the Kegel Route 66 pattern in a few weeks. My Xxcel hooks a lot, but it hooks early and is no match for long oil patterns. So I thought the Apex would be good because it has more back end.

Much to my dismay, I pulled out the old Apex and saw it too now has spider cracks along the finger holes. Less than 50 games on the ball. I took it into the pro shop just in case it could be saved, but if can't be.

They have 15lbs in stock but no 16s and I don't have the time to order. So, I'm going to retool as I can afford it.

I still miss my Pantera greatly. I could make it do anything and had my best games with it. Ebonite's "Cat" line of balls was great and very under appreciated IMO.

Aslan
02-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Dynamic cores and reactive resin have made balls so powerful, that most bowlers feel that they don't need that extra pound for carry (there are a handful of PBA pros who still throw 16#, but most throw 15#). Yes, multiple weights is a problem, as it messes with timing.

THIS.

There have been multiple studies on the differences between ball weights (14#, 15#, and 16#) and numerous discussions in the bowling world. With revs and angles becoming more crucial to bowling high scores...bowlers have dropped down into the 15# area. I also think many bowlers look at 16lb balls as "old-fashioned". For a short time there was a push to go to 14lb balls...but that kinda died off.

I still think you throw the most weight you can adequately control. I still think 16lb will carry more than 15lb. BUT...I think you can get a slightly higher rev rate as you move down the ladder...and that increased rev rate may allow you to maximize your angle...thus you could score higher with a 15lb ball despite the lesser carry.

I started out throwing my Grandpa's old 14lb urethane ball. He transitioned from 15lbs to 14lbs in his old age due to arthritis. That was a common reason to go down in weights and still is. When I bought my first ball, I went with 15lbs. But, since I wasn't having trouble controlling the 15lber AND I could find really good bargains ($$$) on balls that were 16lbs on clearance...I decided to switch to 16lbs. I plan to try 15lbs again later this year when I switch arsenals. I DO think I had more revs on the ball throwing 15lbs. Will I swear by 15#? Maybe...maybe not.

But would I throw multiple different weights in one arsenal? No. It's hard enough dealing with the differences in span, drilling, thumb fit, etc... I have 4 of my 6 balls drilled tri-grip. The other two are drilled conventionally. One of the balls has the VISE IT system/slugs....the others do not. Some have only a few pieces of tape in the thumb hole and that feels fine...others have 7-9 pieces of tape in them. Two have lifter style finger inserts...the other 4 have ovals. With all that variation already existing...I wouldn't want to add varying weights to the equation. I used to throw 15lb and 16lb...and switching from weight to the other...I'd say it took at LEAST 2 frames to get where it felt comfortable.

Aslan
02-10-2015, 06:08 PM
How are these balls cracking so much? Are you leaving them in your car or something? Back of a pick-up truck? Garage?

jab5325
02-10-2015, 06:41 PM
How are these balls cracking so much? Are you leaving them in your car or something? Back of a pick-up truck? Garage?

I really don't know, to be honest. Going through college and several moves over the years, I just left them with my parents since I wasn't bowling. I have no idea what happened.

I'm looking forward to trying a 15-pound ball. Though I'm scoring back where I used to (180s/190s), I'm also tinkering with more revs during practice sessions on off-league days.

My end goal is the following:

- Heavy oil ball drilled to hook early (I already have this, 16lb Xxcel)

- Heavy oil ball drilled for more back end (I'm in the process of buying one now; am waiting on pro shop's recommendation on what model to go with)

- Less aggressive ball for use on lighter oil patterns

- Plastic spare ball (That said, I'm doing reasonably well converting spares with my Xxcel)

SRB57
02-10-2015, 08:03 PM
When I stopped bowling after the 2001/02 season I was using 16lb and that seemed to be the norm. When I recently got back into it again 15lb seems to be the norm as everyone else said these new balls are so strong 15 works. I have not noticed any difference in carry if anything these newer balls hit harder. I used to be more of a power player but since coming back am more of a power tweener. I know one thing I used to stand on 20 and swing between the first and second arrow and now stand 30-35 and swing third arrow. Either the lane conditions have changed or the balls are that much stronger. Steve

fortheloveofbowling
02-10-2015, 11:28 PM

I always heard the reason why the main reason PROS were going down to 15 was to get back a little deflection at the pocket. With the balls getting stronger and stronger they were just going through the pins a little to strong for some guys on a consistent basis. I think norm duke as one example never has gone away from 16 and i have read comments from different people as to why they prefer 15 or 16 lbs. I know chris barnes has some thoughts on 16 lb being better for his game. I think if you can throw 16 or whatever your max weight may be without causing physical issues you are better off, especially if you are rev rate challenged. If your ball ends up consistently in the pit even just right of the 9 pin spot on a house shot that may be a good indication of too much deflection. Just my opinion and i guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with physically and mentally.

Like Rob said, multiple weights is a problem for your arm swing consistency and timing.

fortheloveofbowling
02-10-2015, 11:55 PM
THIS.

There have been multiple studies on the differences between ball weights (14#, 15#, and 16#) and numerous discussions in the bowling world. With revs and angles becoming more crucial to bowling high scores...bowlers have dropped down into the 15# area. I also think many bowlers look at 16lb balls as "old-fashioned". For a short time there was a push to go to 14lb balls...but that kinda died off.

I still think you throw the most weight you can adequately control. I still think 16lb will carry more than 15lb. BUT...I think you can get a slightly higher rev rate as you move down the ladder...and that increased rev rate may allow you to maximize your angle...thus you could score higher with a 15lb ball despite the lesser carry.

I started out throwing my Grandpa's old 14lb urethane ball. He transitioned from 15lbs to 14lbs in his old age due to arthritis. That was a common reason to go down in weights and still is. When I bought my first ball, I went with 15lbs. But, since I wasn't having trouble controlling the 15lber AND I could find really good bargains ($$$) on balls that were 16lbs on clearance...I decided to switch to 16lbs. I plan to try 15lbs again later this year when I switch arsenals. I DO think I had more revs on the ball throwing 15lbs. Will I swear by 15#? Maybe...maybe not.

But would I throw multiple different weights in one arsenal? No. It's hard enough dealing with the differences in span, drilling, thumb fit, etc... I have 4 of my 6 balls drilled tri-grip. The other two are drilled conventionally. One of the balls has the VISE IT system/slugs....the others do not. Some have only a few pieces of tape in the thumb hole and that feels fine...others have 7-9 pieces of tape in them. Two have lifter style finger inserts...the other 4 have ovals. With all that variation already existing...I wouldn't want to add varying weights to the equation. I used to throw 15lb and 16lb...and switching from weight to the other...I'd say it took at LEAST 2 frames to get where it felt comfortable.

Man you have to get those things regarding thumb size, grips, and all of that consistent. That makes things very difficult to be confident when you pick up a different ball. That would drive me absolutely nuts to have those different feels.

Hampe
02-11-2015, 05:55 AM
Man you have to get those things regarding thumb size, grips, and all of that consistent. That makes things very difficult to be confident when you pick up a different ball. That would drive me absolutely nuts to have those different feels.Same thing I was thinking....

For me, all of those things would bother me more than 1lb weight difference.

Also, why have the Vise system for just one ball? Kind of defeats the purpose a bit, no? Or are you just planning on using that for all the balls you drill from now on?

Aslan
02-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Also, why have the Vise system for just one ball? Kind of defeats the purpose a bit, no? Or are you just planning on using that for all the balls you drill from now on?

Yes. I had it put on the last of my 16lb balls just to give it a try. If I like it, I'll make it part of every ball in my arsenal when I switch later this year.

The only problem I'm having with the VISE IT system right now is that my thumb still "slips" out. Part of it could be the insert is STILL not small enough...and I may have a smaller one drilled (again)...but part of it is the material the slugs are made of is very slippery. I'm not used to that. I'm used to tape and no slugs. But, right now I'm leaning towards the IT system on my strike balls (when I switch arsenals) and then a regular drill on my spare ball because I don't feel like switching inserts or buying another set of inserts just for my spare ball. Maybe something to think about down the road.

I have sort of given up on Iceman's Tri-Grip drilling layout. The pitch of the thumb combined with my already horrible release position is making the ball fall off my hand. I have a much better release with just standard drilling (versus Tri-Grip). But, like the VISE IT system, that was something to try. You can't say it doesn't work until you've at least given it a try. Just like my next arsenal being 15lbs. I can't say it'll work better, worse, or the same as 16lbs until I try it. Thats how we learn. Unfortunately, with my current arsenal, I probably tried too many things and it led to this rather disconjointed arsenal in terms of layouts/fits/etc...