PDA

View Full Version : Team USA's Barnes, Nation to compete in World Games

onefrombills
01-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, and Stefanie Nation of Arlington, Texas, will represent Team USA at the 2009 World Games this summer in Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei.

Bowling is one of more than 30 sports not currently included in the Olympics that will be showcased in the World Games for 11 days beginning July 16. Eight countries from each of the three zones (American, Asian and European) of the World Tenpin Bowling Association will represent bowling by sending one male and one female athlete.

The event will mark the second Team USA appearance in as many years for Barnes, the Player of the Year in the Professional Bowlers Association for the 2007-08 season, who returned to the team last year after a 10-year hiatus. Professionals were granted the ability to compete in international competition in August 2007.

"The World Games is one of the events I never got to participate in during my first go around with Team USA," said Barnes, who won a team gold medal and trios bronze medal at the 2008 World Tenpin Bowling Association World Men's Championships in Bangkok, Thailand, last August. "I'm very much looking forward to representing Team USA again, and this is one of the events I've been waiting a long time to compete in."

Nation, a five-time Team USA member, recently competed in the PBA Women's Series. In seven events, she won once and finished second twice and hopes that success will help guide her at the World Games.

"Bowling well in the Women's Series definitely boosted my confidence, and I hope that carries me forward the rest of the year," said Nation, who helped the United States to the team silver medal at the 2007 WTBA World Women's Championships in her last international appearance. "It's an honor to be chosen from a team of such elite athletes to compete in the World Games."

Classified as one of four precision sports, bowling competition in the World Games is broken up into two events - singles and mixed doubles. The other precision sports are archery, billiards and bocce.

In addition to the United States, the American Zone will be represented by Puerto Rico, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Guatemala, Dominican Republic and El Salvador. The Asian Zone will send Chinese Taipei, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Philippines, China and Hong Kong, while the European Zone countries will be Austria, England, Finland, Germany, Belgium, France, Norway and South Africa.

For more information on the World Games, visit the official Web site of the event at www.worldgames2009.tw.