PDA

View Full Version : ball temperature

speedster
02-15-2015, 02:29 PM
I've been keeping my Ruckus in my truck and lately that outside Temps have been very cold. This morning I went to my local bowling center to roll a few games and the Ruckus felt like a giant cold rock. I was hoping it would come to room temp prior to bowling but I was in somewhat of a hurry and used it cold. The first game I bowled was horrible and the ball just seamed keep coming up short. By my second game game the ball seemed to be at room temp and I rolled closer to my average.

With that in mind does a ball normally react differently when ice cold or was that just a coincidence?

Does anyone else store their balls in the cold ? Should I be bringing them indoors during winter?

bowl1820
02-15-2015, 02:57 PM
With that in mind does a ball normally react differently when ice cold or was that just a coincidence?
Yes,
The colder a ball is the harder it is. It will tend to skid more.
(That was a old PBA trick years back, if you had a super soft ball that wouldn't pass the hardness test. You got it real cold just before you brought it in for weight in and when they checked the hardness it would pass.)

The warmer a ball is the softer it is. It will then see the friction more/earlier.

Does anyone else store their balls in the cold ? Should I be bringing them indoors during winter?

Yes, You should store you equipment in the house, preferably where the the temperature stays constant.

The main thing with temperature is extremes, going from cold to hot or hot to cold too fast. That's thing that can cause cracking.
(I had ball split walking into the bowling alley one time. It was during the summer and the alley AC had it pretty cold, I wheeled in, sat my carrier in the bowlers circle and a ball split right there.)

Blomer
02-15-2015, 03:38 PM
I have heard of several balls cracking as a result of leaving it in the cold. The house I bowl at has lockers for less than $20 a year so I store my stuff there.

Amyers
02-15-2015, 03:42 PM
The heat can be a killer too always keep you ball in a temperature controlled location

speedster
02-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Okay thanks for the heads up. I'll stop being lazy and start bringing my ball inside.

Bradski9
02-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Yep we had 2 balls last year in our house crack from being in the cold overnight and then used right away.

dnhoffman
02-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Pull your stuff inside man, it's the least you can do!