PDA

View Full Version : Avg. drilling prices??

FireCapt782
02-18-2015, 03:19 PM
My local shop charges $50.00 for drilling regardless if you buy the ball from them or not. Finger inserts are $5.00 extra for each finger.

white_rabbitt
02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Wow, that seems a bit steep to me...hope you get great service for that price!?
My local shop charges $45 for drilling, which includes the inserts. (I've never bought a ball from them so I don't know if it would be less/free in that case or not)

vdubtx
02-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Typical drill with inserts and thumb slug is $60 in our area.

Amyers
02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Wow I'm glad for my pro shop it is $50 if you bought on line $30 if you bought from them including inserts and slug for either.

Jaescrub
02-18-2015, 04:03 PM
If price of the ball you want to buy is not the same as online prices RUN!!! My pro shop charges $50 for any ball you bring in. If you buy a ball from the pro shop the drilling price is included. That's why most balls at my local pro shop cost about 30-50$ more then online prices. If he has a ball that's 199$ then 50$ to drill and you can buy that same ball for 149$ shipped online do that.

NewToBowling
02-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Yep, local place here is usually $50 more but that includes drilling so you really don't save by buying online. I've only looked at entry level balls (Tropical Storm, Cyclone)

bowl1820
02-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Got the balls I won drilled w/finger and thumb inserts for $40 here.

white_rabbitt
02-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Nice bowl1820! That's around what I'm paying. But it looks like we might be towards the low end!

FireCapt782
02-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Yea, Getting a pyramid Path drilled to night for spares, It's gonna cost more to drill then the ball cost!

Blomer
02-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Balls I brought in that I bought online was $50 which included the inserts. Whenever I get my Nano I'm taking elsewhere and will see. I want to buy the Rocket next week and price includes drilling and inserts.

swingset
02-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Typical drill with inserts and thumb slug is $60 in our area.

Same here.

AndrewRM
02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Both brick & mortar pro shops here are free if bought from them. Otherwise it's

$30 for Plastic/entry then goes up to $60 for the "Performance" level balls. I guess it's up to them what they classify the balls as.
Inserts are $9 for fingers.

gefecht
02-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Here it is included in the price of purchase if you buy from the shop, 50$ for balls brought in for high performance balls. 5$ per insert.

mc_runner
02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
It's included but fingertips are $5 extra each and a thumb slug is $10 (I believe, I don't use thumb slugs). However, the price of the ball is typically higher, about $40 more than online. I can't remember how much it is to drill a ball not bought there... probably $50 + the tips/slug.

Sourtower
02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
At the pro shop I go to, drilling prices along with 2 grips and a thumb slug are all included with the price of the bowling ball. Otherwise, its $30 for entry level bowling balls, $40 for mid performance, and $50 for pro performance bowling balls. Also included in those prices are 2 grips and a thumb slug.

Mark O
02-19-2015, 09:56 AM
My pro shop charges 30 for the drilling, plus an extra 10 for finger inserts and an extra 10 for a thumb slug. Most people choose to get those including myself so ultimately it's 50 which seems to be in line with most everyone else.

manke
02-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Mine is around $40

larry mc
02-19-2015, 11:08 AM
$ 60 grips and thumb here

got_a_300
02-19-2015, 12:13 PM
At the Pro Shop I've started going to the price for the balls
there is the same as you'd pay online but the drilling is like
$60.00 per ball and if you buy 2 new balls at a time like I did
the finger grips and thumb slugs are free.

I believe a standard label drill like for a spare ball is $40.00 if
I remember correctly not sure if that includes grips or a slug.

Perrin
02-19-2015, 02:20 PM
if you buy the ball there Drilling is free.
bring one in $30 for plastic $60 for everything else.

$6 per grip and $15 for a Slug. (even if you bought the ball there.)

the other places in town are less.

FireCapt782
02-19-2015, 03:34 PM
With the prices up as they are, Do you ever tip your PSO? I do if he does something for me quick while busy with other work. But in general not much anymore.

jab5325
02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I have never tipped the pro shop.

With that said, if I get good service, I do everything I can to utilize their services and direct others there.

Case in point: I'm in the market for a new ball. I went to bowl with the operator so he could get a feel for my style and recommend a ball. He did recommend a ball, measured me, etc. Since the ball was in stock, said it was going to be done in 48hrs or less. Through the night, we talked about what I didn't like about my current ball (which was drilled elsewhere). He picked up the ball he was going to sell me, and with the pin where it was, he said it will be very close to my current ball and he thought I wouldn't like it. So, he ordered me a new one with the pin farther out from the COG.

I've bought a lot of balls, and gave the same story about what I didn't like to several drillers. Every time, they just sold me what they had. Instead, this guy took the time to watch me, listen to me, and then recommend me a ball....and to order me a version he knew I'd like. So, my "tip" will be to go back there for as many needs as possible, and to direct my friends/colleagues there. It was great service, and I appreciated it--he could've sold me the ball for $200+, made quite a profit, and left me be.

rv driver
02-19-2015, 08:17 PM
On a ball bought from them, the drilling is $30, including inserts and IT system. If you bring in a ball bought outside, it's $45-50, including inserts and IT system. I got my Misfit bought, drilled and outfitted for just a few $$ more as I would have bought the ball online with no drilling.

Aslan
02-19-2015, 10:36 PM
I've seen it vary greatly from place to place.

On the lower end…many of the better pro shops will sell the ball for equal to the internet price and then charge $45-$55 to drill it + inserts. Some other of the better shops will sell it for a little more than the internet ($20-$35) and then just drill it for free.

On the higher end…I've seen pro shops selling balls for as much as $100 over the internet price and add as much as $65 to drill it w/inserts.

I think the more successful shops have adopted the lower/better pricing out of mere necessity. Back in the ole days, a pro shop sold a marked up ball to a guy or gal…and that person kept that ball for 10 years. You had very little competition and you had to make as much money as you could on the ball sale. Nowadays…competition from the internet is intense….the balls don't last as long…and pro shops also make a fair amount of money either on ball maintenance or selling ball maintenance products. The game has changed…but some pro shops just are not changing with it. I recently saw a pro shop selling a discontinued Rotogrip Disturbed or Deranged for like $184…drilling extra. Thats a discontinued ball that currently sells for $85-$125 on the internet.

Also importnat to add…the pro shops that do things the old way…usually empty, very little hours of operation, dust on the balls and merchandise. The ones that have evolved…usually they are open 6 days a week if not 7, they have orders for balls that haven't even been released yet, and most of the time they are so packed with people…I don't even bother going in to 'chat'.

Blomer
02-27-2015, 07:51 PM
I just go back from my pro shop and bought a Storm Rocket. On bowlingball.com it sells for $124.95 and I bought it for $179 which includes drilling, another $10 for inserts and free slug($17). I also had my Storm IQ Tour Nano, I won from here, drilled and that was $67. $40 to drill, $10 inserts and $17 for slug. So essential drilling is the same if I bring a ball in or buy it there if compared to bowlingball.com.

Ryan1700
02-28-2015, 06:09 AM
My local shop does mine for $35 total, grips and all. I know I am getting discounts but not exactly sure how much. I think regular is $50 plus inserts. I get a so many drilled that they know they will get their moneys worth out of me. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! LOL. They are also doing that retail price on the shelf. They said they stopped padding the price to include "free" drilling because people would just come in and see the sticker and think they were way too high in comparison to online prices. If you buy balls pretty regularly and always get them drilled in the same shop, one idea is to bring a ball you are retiring or wasn't impressed with and "donate" it to the shop or the house in exchange for some free drilling in the future. They can plug it and resale it to a beginner, or if the house and the shop are owned by the same people ( as mine are) they can use them as house balls. Even seen them keep a couple around to drill for someone to dial in a pap or axis before poking holes in a high end ball for that customer.

Ryster
03-07-2015, 09:35 AM
With the prices up as they are, Do you ever tip your PSO? I do if he does something for me quick while busy with other work. But in general not much anymore.

My whole family uses the same pro shop, and the PSO is very good to us. We always tip the PSO because the quality of service and workmanship is deserving of a tip. We also know we are getting a discount, and want to make sure the PSO is taken care of. In our case, it is just the proper thing to do.