PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully get to....

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Hopefully I get to bowl again soon. I have missed most of this season so far due to an unexpected health problem. I was at the doctor today and she thinks they will finally have me all fixed up so that I will be able to bowl at least the last 4 weeks. Not much, and I won't be eligible for any awards such as most improved or anything, but at least I will be able to bowl some.

Have any of you ever had to miss most of a league season? Did you go ahead and finish out the season as I will be doing or did you say heck with it and wait until the next season?

vdubtx
02-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Get well soon.

Haven't had to miss bowling thankfully, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't rush into it. Just be sure you and your body are ready to get back in it. If it was only 4 weeks of season left, I would likely not finish up and work on getting myself healthy for the next season.

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks, vdubtx! And thanks for the input!

Amyers
02-18-2015, 06:02 PM
If you come back take it easy. I haven't ever had to miss more than a couple of weeks but my wife has bowled most of this season left handed doe to carpel tunnel in her right hand

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks, Amyers! Ouchie! Did she have surgery for it? I hope she feels better soon either way!

JoeInPI
02-18-2015, 06:14 PM
I missed several seasons due to a fluke hand injury- I somehow ruptured a tendon while picking up an empty manila folder. (Really!)

Mine was not really a choice of waiting, I didn't really clear until after the season was over, but I think if I could be competitive, I would bowl...
I think once you're back, you'll feel better and will have more fun! :)

Amyers
02-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks, Amyers! Ouchie! Did she have surgery for it? I hope she feels better soon either way!

She had an injection so far she is waiting until fall league is over and then going to decide on surgery the injections have helped some

Sourtower
02-18-2015, 08:52 PM
I haven't had to miss any time so far but I only started league bowling in May of 2014. My suggestion to you, since I'm a nurse who works in rehab (lots of shoulder, hip, and knee replacements), is that you make sure you're not going to risk reinjury coming back too early from whatever is ailing you. The last thing you want to do is reinjure yourself and risk an even further setback.

mc_runner
02-18-2015, 09:04 PM
I've broken a few fingers, toes over the years (in fact, just last night I dropped a bowling ball on my ring finger and might have done some sort of... damage) and generally try to get back/suffer through it as much as possible. I don't know why, but when I'm hurt I tend to totally clear my mind and usually do BETTER than normal since I'm forced to slow down and not rush/think too much. Even with a huge, black & swollen finger I'm going to try going out there tomorrow for league.

Disclaimer, this may not work for everyone... and anytime I feel that I could make a problem worse or it absolutely negatively impacts either my team (score) or enjoyment, it's best to take time off.

Hope you feel better and get back soon!

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks JoeInPI! I believe you about hurting your hand! My youngest daughter is the Queen Of Freak Accidents and has done such fluke-y stuff before lol

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Amyers, I am glad they have helped some!

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 10:27 PM
I haven't had to miss any time so far but I only started league bowling in May of 2014. My suggestion to you, since I'm a nurse who works in rehab (lots of shoulder, hip, and knee replacements), is that you make sure you're not going to risk reinjury coming back too early from whatever is ailing you. The last thing you want to do is reinjure yourself and risk an even further setback.

Thank you, Sourtower! The return date my doc gave IS pending that my heals on the average schedule. I will definitely listen to my body and if it isn't ready, then I will just have to finish sitting out the season :(

How are you liking league bowling? I liked it so much that I got a job at the bowling alley lol

AngieHall
02-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks, mc_runner! I totally get the doing better thing. My average had increased about 20 pins before I got put on no exertion orders :( I probably have to start all over now.

manke
02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
It might take a few games but you will get the swing of it in notime!!

AngieHall
02-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks, manke! I hope so :)