PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit confused about tournament participation...

Monte
02-20-2015, 05:29 PM
I've been Googling around, and I'm still confused about this.

For tournaments, are there "individual" tournaments? Because what we see on TV is essentially a "stepladder" tournament.

Do you have to be in a league to bowl in a tournament?

What about USBC-sanctioned tournaments? Do you have to be in a league to bowl in those?

I'm asking primarily out of curiosity, but if I get to a point where I get "better" equipment I might consider bowling in a local/area tournament or two, just to see how I can do...

Could someone explain this to me?

epiepenburg
02-20-2015, 05:46 PM
There is definitely individual tournaments. While you don't have to be in a league, establishing your average in a league is a good first step. Most handicap tournaments will look up your average to calculate handicap, if you don't have one established through league, you get a predefined handicap, which may or may not hurt your final score.

bowl1820
02-20-2015, 07:07 PM
I've been Googling around, and I'm still confused about this.

For tournaments, are there "individual" tournaments? Because what we see on TV is essentially a "stepladder" tournament.

Yes, In fact most tournament's are "individual" or singles, The "stepladder" your talking about are usually the final part of a singles tournament. Once they make the cut to the final few bowlers, they use a stepladder format to find the winner.

Do you have to be in a league to bowl in a tournament?
No, Unless it's a closed tournament for league bowlers only.

What about USBC-sanctioned tournaments? Do you have to be in a league to bowl in those?
No, not necessarily. Sanctioned tournaments just mean you have to have a sanction card
and you can get a unattached card and not be in a league.

Being in a league helps though, because then you will then have a sanctioned average that they can use for handicapping or placing you in a division etc.. If you don't have a sanctioned average, then you have to use whatever the entering averages the rules state for that tournament say. A lot of times you bowl scratch or get very little handicap.

I'm asking primarily out of curiosity, but if I get to a point where I get "better" equipment I might consider bowling in a local/area tournament or two, just to see how I can do...

Could someone explain this to me?

Monte
02-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks, guys! That definitely clears things up.