PDA

View Full Version : Any Summer Plans Yet?

The KingPin
01-28-2009, 12:17 AM
So I am still in winter here in Colorado, but what about you.. Any plans for summer yet?

Iceman
01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
By the time we get all this snow and ice out of the way, summer will be here. I'm putting my boots on and gotta do it the old fashion way, snow blowers don't do well on ice. lol

NoTapNorm
01-28-2009, 06:11 AM
usually have plans in place by now for the summer, but with the economy, I'll be lucky to get a weekend getaway to Myrtle beach or pensacola.

jaws1945
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Dreaming about warmer weather and anxiously waiting for grass to reappear keeps me warm on those -15 nights.

kev3inp
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
We always, or for the last 5 or so years anyway, go to NC for the Gathering. I don't think we'll be able to swing a trip to Chicago this year, so we'll miss another Beatlefest, but maybe we'll make it up with some time in Epcot.

JerseyJim
01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm going to try to get out and do more fishing this summer. Probably the thing that I have to do is to find a new job. After 12 years, the company that I'm contracted lost their contract at an utility company in NJ. My last day there will be at the end of June. With the advent of outsourcing IT jobs off shore, it will be tough to find a job in my field. I'm going to have to reinvent myself. If they come through with the stay bonus, I'll use it to take a few courses. I would like to get a project manager designation, but it requires a college degree. I dropped out due to a lack of funds, and stumbled into the IT field.

Jord_84
01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
We were going to fly down to the bahamas for a week, but we're buying a new car with our tax return now, so I think that plan is on hold until next year.

Now I think the plan is to take the kids into Chicago for a week and hit up all the museums, the shed aquarium, and the zoo.

The KingPin
01-28-2009, 09:52 PM
By the time we get all this snow and ice out of the way, summer will be here. I'm putting my boots on and gotta do it the old fashion way, snow blowers don't do well on ice. lol

Well I hope it went well for you. I live in the country so I get drifts so high I can't see out my door. But ice is way worse.

The KingPin
01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm going to try to get out and do more fishing this summer. Probably the thing that I have to do is to find a new job. After 12 years, the company that I'm contracted lost their contract at an utility company in NJ. My last day there will be at the end of June. With the advent of outsourcing IT jobs off shore, it will be tough to find a job in my field. I'm going to have to reinvent myself. If they come through with the stay bonus, I'll use it to take a few courses. I would like to get a project manager designation, but it requires a college degree. I dropped out due to a lack of funds, and stumbled into the IT field.

Hey I hope all things work out for you. Also I like the dog picture you have for your avatar

jaws1945
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM

I know the feeling. I was an IT contractor until I retired last year. Let's say it was kind of forced retirement. The contracts were drying up and the longer I went without a new contract the less my chances were of landing another one. Once I ran out of money, and reached 62 I pulled the plug and started drawing a pension. I still do odd jobs fixing PC's and doing peoples taxes, but still have a lot of free time which makes me hate winter.

ThongPrincess
01-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I know I won't be teaching Summer School unless there is a miracle budget recovery. Summer school has been cancelled for all except High School.

June is Las Vegas for Nationals. July I will be going to Chicago to bowl the Petersen Classic and North Carolina for "The Gathering." Other than that it will be time to organize the house and garage :(

jaws1945
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
AAh the Peterson. It's just not the same since the building on Archer burnt down. Now that was a dump....

ThongPrincess
01-31-2009, 11:42 PM
AAh the Peterson. It's just not the same since the building on Archer burnt down. Now that was a dump....

I have heard many stories about when the Pete was there. I wish I had bowled just one there. They do try to replicate the conditions and it is a hoot to see the lanes where the plastic ball out hooks anything else ;)

kev3inp
02-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Hey, it wasn't a dump. It was just really old and had character and history. It had closed down before the fire anyway. I grew up in that neighborhood and went there often in my formative years. What I miss in that building is the hardware store. It was a great place that had stuff no-one else carried.

The KingPin
02-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey, it wasn't a dump. It was just really old and had character and history. It had closed down before the fire anyway. I grew up in that neighborhood and went there often in my formative years. What I miss in that building is the hardware store. It was a great place that had stuff no-one else carried.

I think your story is great. The bowling alley I bowled in for years is now a feed store. They sold teh lanes to some dance studio. Its sad sometimes to see history happen.