PDA

View Full Version : Ball Speed

SRB57
02-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Hi All, Since coming back to bowling the house I bowl at shows ball speed which I never had back in the last years I bowled regular around 2001. My speed is around 14 mph +- a little. I think my speed is medium and I do cover a lot of boards so that would slow the ball down as opposed to going straight up.. correct?? What is a typical speed today?? Steve

Blomer
02-27-2015, 07:37 PM
I bowl just about the same I believe. My center doesn't have it displayed as it needs to be updated but at times I bowl elsewhere and it has it. I think it's great help to be able to see your speed to keep you consistant.

foreverincamo
02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Speeds in my house range from 12 to 22 mph. I average 14.5 mph. What really matters is consistency in your speed from shot to shot.

fortheloveofbowling
02-28-2015, 12:23 AM
Hi All, Since coming back to bowling the house I bowl at shows ball speed which I never had back in the last years I bowled regular around 2001. My speed is around 14 mph +- a little. I think my speed is medium and I do cover a lot of boards so that would slow the ball down as opposed to going straight up.. correct?? What is a typical speed today?? Steve

As camo said, you must have consistency with your ball speed. This is an area you will get better at as you progress with your game. The biggest thing though is to match your ball speed and rev rate to achieve good results throughout your lines. Real slow ball speed & high rev rate causes as much problems as too high ball speed and low rev rate. Again, as with all aspects of this game consistency is a must. There are a wide range of ball speeds used by top players so don't feel like you have to gun it down there. Good luck to you.

RobLV1
02-28-2015, 03:30 AM
One of the biggest changes in modern bowling, because of how aggressive the balls have become, is the need for higher ball speeds. Prior to reactive resin, the average ball speed on the PBA Tour was 16 mph. Today, it is over 19 mph. There are very few elite players who are successful with ball speeds under 19 mph.

Ryan1700
02-28-2015, 05:41 AM
I bowl at 16.5. I noticed that keeping track of the speed really helps my game. For instance, this past week in league I was rushing my approach and my timing felt off. I looked at my speed and was throwing up over 17.5. I slowed it back down and got into my comfort zone and started hitting. The main thing is, as mentioned above, is getting consistent. Using your push out and pendulum to set the speed. An older gentleman in our house threw a 790 series a week or so ago bowling 9.8mph and EVERY SINGLE BALL was 9.8 mph.

SRB57
03-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the tips and opinions on this. I practiced at a house without ball speed displayed and I know when I am slow. I am getting to know my game each week of practice. I never get to practice on fresh oil so am not sure how I would do on it. I just know I have to keep my speed consi

Aslan
03-01-2015, 03:43 PM
I started out around 21mph with very little revs so I was getting very little reaction…throwing essentially a straight shot.

As I've tried to get better, settle things down…my speed has dropped into the 14-16mph range. And my rev rate has improved from the < 200s to the 250ish range.

So as I get better and more consistent…I need to find a way to get that speed back up to the 19-21 range…which means finding a way to increase my revs…which has be 'problemetic'.

jab5325
03-02-2015, 09:05 AM
I bowl at 16.5. I noticed that keeping track of the speed really helps my game. For instance, this past week in league I was rushing my approach and my timing felt off. I looked at my speed and was throwing up over 17.5. I slowed it back down and got into my comfort zone and started hitting. The main thing is, as mentioned above, is getting consistent. Using your push out and pendulum to set the speed. An older gentleman in our house threw a 790 series a week or so ago bowling 9.8mph and EVERY SINGLE BALL was 9.8 mph.

Same with my league.

There's a 55+ guy who suitcases the ball, averages 215 and had 785 a couple of weeks ago. He won a regional USBC senior tournament with a 750+ series not long ago too. He's just an absolute machine.