PDA

View Full Version : Sport Patterns???

5280 Hooker
03-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Do any of your bowling facilities employ the sport patterns like the Cheeta, Viper, Shark,...etc. I live in Colorado and none of them want to do them.

The reason I'm asking is, If we just bowl house patterns, then how are we supposed to practice for biggers events that do employ those patterns. You can't bowl on house patterns and then go to an open and bowl on a sport pattern....you'll get your but handed to you...lol!

:)

bowl1820
03-05-2015, 08:00 PM
That's one of the major problems there is in bowling, there's no simple answer.

The best you can do is bowl in different leagues, different houses, when you practice make the most out of it. Bowl in small tournaments and look at them as practice for bigger ones.

5280 Hooker
03-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Lets say I open a 30 lane facility and employ 6 lanes of each (5) sport pattern. This facility is private with no weekend (family) bowlers......how many of you would play on lanes like these in your area if there was one?

Blomer
03-05-2015, 08:21 PM
During the summer there is a sports league that changes the shot every few weeks.

5280 Hooker
03-05-2015, 08:36 PM
During the summer there is a sports league that changes the shot every few weeks.

That's cool.....no one in Colorado does that (that I know of). It would be awesome to try a sport pattern!

Stormed1
03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
One thing you can do is when you go practice, forget about score. Just work on acuracy. Play disserent lines and just worry about hitting your target. Accuracy is very important on sport patterns

swingset
03-05-2015, 09:18 PM
One thing you can do is when you go practice, forget about score. Just work on acuracy. Play disserent lines and just worry about hitting your target. Accuracy is very important on sport patterns

This. Playing sport patterns is mostly knowledge about them, but to execute it's accuracy. You can get the knowledge without being there, but on a house pattern work exclusively on hitting your marks, and breakpoint.

That said, you might be able to rent a lane and have them dress it to a sport pattern if you talk to the house.

We have a sport pattern league at one of the houses here during the summer. Not that many people bowl it, but it's fun and challenging.

bowl1820
03-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Lets say I open a 30 lane facility and employ 6 lanes of each (5) sport pattern. This facility is private with no weekend (family) bowlers......how many of you would play on lanes like these in your area if there was one?

How many? Not enough to keep 30 lanes in business anywhere.

You would have to run it as a normal bowling alley with open and league bowling to keep the doors open.

Then maybe one or two days out of the month, you could do a sport bowling day. Put out sport or other patterns for people to practice on, Maybe take sign ups to see just how many lanes are really needed for it.

Maybe run a cheap weekly "sport bowling" sweeper, pays your monies, practice on a condition maybe win a prize.

or if your a real advocate for the sport, have some of the leagues using sport/pba/tournament patterns. For open bowling set a side a few lanes for those that want to practice on sport patterns.

J Anderson
03-05-2015, 09:29 PM

Idealy one would want to practice on the pattern for a given tournament in advance. In truth sport patterns can play very differently from one center to another. One thing I've heard quite often is a bowler saying "I've played this pattern before and they must have screwed something up, because it's not playing the way it did somewhere else".

To be successful on sport patterns you need good fundamentals, especially accuracy, and the ability to read the lanes by watching the ball reaction. You do not need sport patterns to work on your fundamentals. Heck, you don't even need a lane to work on some things. Admittedly, bowling on the same house pattern doesn't help develop the ability to read lanes. You can get yourself ready for sport patterns by learning to play different parts of the lane. That way, when a pattern needs a different line than what you usually play you'll be able to play it with confidence.

5280 Hooker
03-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Right on guys!

All great advise.

As a newb here, you all have been great putting up with me and some of my crazy ideas/questions, but I love the knowledge and wisdom you all share with me. :)

J Anderson
03-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Right on guys!

All great advise.

As a newb here, you all have been great putting up with me and some of my crazy ideas/questions, but I love the knowledge and wisdom you all share with me. :)

And you know that it's all true 'cause you read it on the internet!

larry mc
03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
im friends with the people at my local house and can get them 2 lay out any pattern i want on a slow day 4 practice ,,,, lesson... it never hurts to be friendly