PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me ball cover stock and hook ratings?

NewToBowling
03-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Ok, things finally clicked. I am able to keep my hand behind the ball and can consistently hit my marks on most throws. If I aim for second arrow I am usually there. Over the weekend playing about 10 games total I probably had 4-5 bad throws (meaning totally missed mark).

I had scores of 201, 197, 175 over the weekend mixed with some 140s

I have an Ebonite Cyclone and can get controllable hook. But on heavy oil it just doesn't have the hook or "bite" on the back end.

So what would be the next logical step for a "stronger" ball. Is the Storm Optimus a logical next step up ball for heavy oil?

Thanks

jab5325
03-09-2015, 09:18 AM
If you want a heavy oil ball, try/think about Hammer Bad Intentions.

I just got one, and am astounded by how well it does and how it "bites" on heavier patterns.

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 09:36 AM
I was thinking about that ball also. Looks like it's a new release

RobLV1
03-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Ok, things finally clicked. I am able to keep my hand behind the ball and can consistently hit my marks on most throws. If I aim for second arrow I am usually there. Over the weekend playing about 10 games total I probably had 4-5 bad throws (meaning totally missed mark).

I had scores of 201, 197, 175 over the weekend mixed with some 140s

I have an Ebonite Cyclone and can get controllable hook. But on heavy oil it just doesn't have the hook or "bite" on the back end.

So what would be the next logical step for a "stronger" ball. Is the Storm Optimus a logical next step up ball for heavy oil?

Thanks

As you are new to bowling, you need to understand that terminologies are very ineffective in communicating lane conditions. What you may consider to be "heavy oil" may in fact be a medium condition either in terms of length or volume. There are many variables, and it can be very confusing. The Ebonite Cyclone is an entry-level reactive resin ball. In going to something more aggressive (stronger and weaker are really relative terms that can be very confusing), it is really important that you don't go to something that is too aggressive. Talk to your proshop operator and ask him to watch you bowl and make a recommendation based on your style and the lane conditions at your bowling center. Just because someone with a different style who bowls at a different center likes a particular ball does not mean that it will work for you.

Amyers
03-09-2015, 10:11 AM
I would suggest making a smaller jump to a little more aggressive ball that will handle a little more oil rather than jump all the way to an oil monster like the Bad Intentions. Consider a Storm Hyroad or IQ Fusion Rotogrip has some great deals on the Asylum and Disturbed right now too. Any of these would handle more oil and give you a little more pop than the Cyclone but you will get a lot more use out of them than you likely will the Bad Intentions. I'm not saying they don't exist but most house shots don't put out enough oil to throw that ball for very long into your set. I also feel that symmetrical cores are more forgiving for newer bowlers. It will also help you have more of an even bag instead of having a huge jump between your first ball and your second. A little latter if you still feel you need something that will handle even more oil you can look to add that piece.

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 10:17 AM
How does the Storm Optimus fall into the balls you mentioned?

Thanks

Amyers
03-09-2015, 10:36 AM
The Optimus has a pearl cover so it will go farther down the lane and have more backend movement than any of the other balls I mentioned. The Optimus will handle more oil than some other pearl balls but I wouldn't confuse it with a heavy oil ball. From what I have seen of the Optimus it is a love it/hate it type of ball if it fits your game it's great if it doesn't it make a crappy paper weight being round and all. The Optimus is a asymmetrical core. This is just personal opinion but as a newer bowler I think you would be better off with a more even rolling ball like the ones I mentioned below but every ones different.

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks. I'll read up on the ones you mentioned and maybe visit my pro shop to see what they think is best. They don't stock Storm products so they'll probably shift me towards the other brands

bubba809
03-09-2015, 10:44 AM
The Optimus has a pearl cover so it will go farther down the lane and have more backend movement than any of the other balls I mentioned. The Optimus will handle more oil than some other pearl balls but I wouldn't confuse it with a heavy oil ball. From what I have seen of the Optimus it is a love it/hate it type of ball if it fits your game it's great if it doesn't it make a crappy paper weight being round and all. The Optimus is a asymmetrical core. This is just personal opinion but as a newer bowler I think you would be better off with a more even rolling ball like the ones I mentioned below but every ones different.

Mine sadly sits in the corner like an "Aslan ball".

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Mine sadly sits in the corner like an "Aslan ball".

Please explain. Thanks

jab5325
03-09-2015, 11:15 AM
As you are new to bowling, you need to understand that terminologies are very ineffective in communicating lane conditions. What you may consider to be "heavy oil" may in fact be a medium condition either in terms of length or volume. There are many variables, and it can be very confusing. The Ebonite Cyclone is an entry-level reactive resin ball. In going to something more aggressive (stronger and weaker are really relative terms that can be very confusing), it is really important that you don't go to something that is too aggressive. Talk to your proshop operator and ask him to watch you bowl and make a recommendation based on your style and the lane conditions at your bowling center. Just because someone with a different style who bowls at a different center likes a particular ball does not mean that it will work for you.

The above is great advice. Not thinking, I mentioned the Bad Intentions, which is a very aggressive piece of equipment....like, on the aggressive end of aggressive balls. With that said, it's something to think about down the road. My proshop is actually running a special on a Cyclone, and I'm probably going to jump at it, because the Bad Intentions is too much ball for some league nights.

There are several guys in my league with the Hyroad and love it, so that's a worthy contender. There's also a few that use the Motiv Forza (I believe Ronnie Russell used the Forza in a telecast earlier this year).

Consider the Black Widow Red Legend too: https://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/hammer/11876/black-widow-red-legend.html?gclid=CLHNnfTHm8QCFUlk7Aodhy4AvQ The ball is a step or two up from the Cyclone, and can definitely be used on heavier oil patterns than the Cyclone. Plus, not that it matters to most.....I love the look of the ball.

In the next few months, my current plan is to have the Bad Intentions (heavy oil), Black Widow Red Legend (medium/heavy), Cyclone (medium/dry), and a spare ball.

Aslan
03-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Please explain. Thanks

Funniest post ever (that it was in regards to explaining what was meant by "sitting in the corner like an Aslan ball").

I like Rotogrip's line-up in terms of helping new bowlers with incremental steps upwards. You start out with an HP1, then go to an HP2, etc...

Is an Optimus the next step up from a Cyclone? Short answer = no.

What is?

Well...Ebonite balls are weird in that they don't have a lot of quality in the middle range...but rather than think of it in terms of "next ball"...I'd recommend thinking of it in terms of what you need to build a mini-arsenal and then a complete arsenal.

A Cyclone is an entry level Pearl. Our best bowler on our team throws it and averages nearly 190. And it's probably the best ball I've seen for the money...and probably the #1 or #2 in terms of frequency I see it out on the lanes. So if it's not coming back...you have two options:

1) Get a ball that has a more aggressive backend...a higher RG, a higher differential, a polished yet strong cover, and an unstable core.
the BETTER idea (in my opinion)..is...
2) Get a ball that starts hooking sooner...a lower RG...solid or hybrid cover...maybe with some surface.

So if you have an entry level pearl...AND you're a beginner...going for a skid/flip ball (as many claim the Optimus is)...is a bad idea. Why?...and I'm sure some will disagree...but the reasoning is...unless you have a consistent release and consistent revs...it's very possible that ball will skid past where it needs to break...and you'll have a more expensive and better smelling version of the Cyclone.

Instead, if you're hell bent on changing balls rather than your skill set, is to try a hybrid. See if the hybrid cover will give you an earlier break to the pocket than the Cyclone. If it's still not enough...add a solid cover...or experiment with bringing that hybrid cover down a bit with abralon pads...see what that does.

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Funniest post ever (that it was in regards to explaining what was meant by "sitting in the corner like an Aslan ball").

I like Rotogrip's line-up in terms of helping new bowlers with incremental steps upwards. You start out with an HP1, then go to an HP2, etc...

Is an Optimus the next step up from a Cyclone? Short answer = no.

What is?

Well...Ebonite balls are weird in that they don't have a lot of quality in the middle range...but rather than think of it in terms of "next ball"...I'd recommend thinking of it in terms of what you need to build a mini-arsenal and then a complete arsenal.

A Cyclone is an entry level Pearl. Our best bowler on our team throws it and averages nearly 190. And it's probably the best ball I've seen for the money...and probably the #1 or #2 in terms of frequency I see it out on the lanes. So if it's not coming back...you have two options:

1) Get a ball that has a more aggressive backend...a higher RG, a higher differential, a polished yet strong cover, and an unstable core.
the BETTER idea (in my opinion)..is...
2) Get a ball that starts hooking sooner...a lower RG...solid or hybrid cover...maybe with some surface.

So if you have an entry level pearl...AND you're a beginner...going for a skid/flip ball (as many claim the Optimus is)...is a bad idea. Why?...and I'm sure some will disagree...but the reasoning is...unless you have a consistent release and consistent revs...it's very possible that ball will skid past where it needs to break...and you'll have a more expensive and better smelling version of the Cyclone.

Instead, if you're hell bent on changing balls rather than your skill set, is to try a hybrid. See if the hybrid cover will give you an earlier break to the pocket than the Cyclone. If it's still not enough...add a solid cover...or experiment with bringing that hybrid cover down a bit with abralon pads...see what that does.

Yes, interested in #2. Any suggestions?

Perrin
03-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Yes, interested in #2. Any suggestions?

There are a ton of choices for a entry-ish level solid

DV8 misfit or outcast
Brunswick ringer
Motiv venom Shock (or for more separation between the balls) the forza
Storm wipeout
Roto uproar

I'm sure the other companies all have something along those lines also.

rv driver
03-09-2015, 05:33 PM

DV8 misfit or outcast
Brunswick ringer
Motiv venom Shock (or for more separation between the balls) the forza
Storm wipeout
Roto uproar

I'm sure the other companies all have something along those lines also.
Somebody already mentioned this, but don't forget about the IQ Tour Fusion. it's a great ball, and will roll earlier -- but not too aggressive.

Aslan
03-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Agreed. As for a lower level solid...the Rotogrip Rumble is a nice ball. For a hybrid, the Storm Hy Road is probably the most successful ball available in terms of longevity. Those would be MY choices...but there's a lot of options out there.

Aslan
03-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Somebody already mentioned this, but don't forget about the IQ Tour Fusion. it's a great ball, and will roll earlier -- but not too aggressive.

I was gonna mention that one...but thats a bit closer to upper end than lower end.

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Motiv Forza looks imteresting

RobLV1
03-09-2015, 10:12 PM
You are still not getting it. The Forza is a medium oil ball with an RG of 2.50 and a differential of 0.051. Compared to your Cyclone, it is much, much more aggressive. Go to your PSO, have him watch you bowl, and get his recommendation. If you do anything else, you have a very good chance of taking the money that you spend and using it to light your bar-b-que.

NewToBowling
03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
You're right. The Asylum looks good. Especially at discounted prices.

rv driver
03-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I was gonna mention that one...but thats a bit closer to upper end than lower end.
Well, yeah. You're right. Maybe something in the Hot line would be a better choice?