PDA

View Full Version : Help me, help my friend who is a new bowler!

Blomer
03-15-2015, 06:32 PM
My friend has started to get into bowling. We would go practice and he threw using the straight ball approach with no hook. Now he wants to add a hook. He bought a new hooking ball. We went the other day and I told hi. To go for the 2nd arrow, turn his hand as he was shaking someone's hand or throwing a football u derhand, but he didn't hook the ball much if at all. If thought the ball wasn't drilled to hook but I threw it and it hooked like no other. Any tips you can give me to pass on?

NewToBowling
03-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Biggest thing is to stay behind the ball. Keep his wrist firm, do t let it break. That alone should create some hook

foreverincamo
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
It would help us if we could see a pic of the ball and how it's drilled. Even knowing what ball he bought would help us help him. Tell him to keep practicing and look up videos on YouTube to see how different ways to hook the ball.

Blomer
03-23-2015, 10:53 PM
I tried to talk him out of it, as it was way too strong for him as a starter but he bought a Crux Pearl! Drilled with the pin up just above the finger tips in the middle. I tried to get him to buy a weaker ball but he insisted. He thought it was drilled wrong but I was hooking it like crazy. His biggest issue was not turning his wrist as it pretty much went straight which I thought that could never happen.

Hampe
03-24-2015, 04:15 AM
He thought it was drilled wrong but I was hooking it like crazy. His biggest issue was not turning his wrist as it pretty much went straight which I thought that could never happen.Most beginners (hell, even some long-time low level amateurs) just don't understand that. Just because you have the "most hookingest ball ever produced by X company", doesn't mean the ball will hook by itself. You still have to learn to release it properly. A properly released beginner level ball will noticeably out-hook the most aggressive ball on the market if it isn't released properly.

Sourtower
03-24-2015, 09:15 AM
I tried to talk him out of it, as it was way too strong for him as a starter but he bought a Crux Pearl! Drilled with the pin up just above the finger tips in the middle. I tried to get him to buy a weaker ball but he insisted. He thought it was drilled wrong but I was hooking it like crazy. His biggest issue was not turning his wrist as it pretty much went straight which I thought that could never happen.

Have your friend work on a few things each time. Trying to incorporate everything all at once is going to be frustrating for both you and your friend. I've currently been working with my wife, my brother, and my son on throwing mechanics. The one thing I've noticed with my brother is that he turns his wrist way too early. It almost looks like he's turning his wrist on the back swing. When he does this, the ball still hooks but only very little. Maybe 2 boards max. What's simple for us is complicated for somebody learning to throw a hook for the first time. Just gotta be patient.