PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Maxim spare ball?

NewToBowling
03-21-2015, 09:58 AM
My wife is a straight bowler and uses Maxim spare ball. The ball is pretty dull now. Would it be logical to resurface the ball and polish it to at least 4000 grit so it has less reaction to lane conditions. Sometimes on ultra dry lanes it does have a tendency to drift when going down lane and my wife rolls it pretty slow.

bowl1820
03-21-2015, 10:41 AM
My wife is a straight bowler and uses Maxim spare ball. The ball is pretty dull now. Would it be logical to resurface the ball and polish it to at least 4000 grit so it has less reaction to lane conditions. Sometimes on ultra dry lanes it does have a tendency to drift when going down lane and my wife rolls it pretty slow.

Most keep their plastic spare ball polished, But some like a more sheen like finish (I do).

A highly polished spare ball can tend to "squirt" (hydroplane) in the oil as it crosses the center part of the lane. So some add just a little surface to make it a little more stable.

NewToBowling
03-21-2015, 11:20 AM
So the safest route is to polish by hand?

I detail cars so I have high end car polishes and a dual action polisher but that is probably overkill correct?

ralphs007
03-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I used this on my wife's Maxim ball, http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html#&slider1=18
I did the ball on my spinner and it came out nice. She bowled her highest game ever after I polished the ball. I really don't know if the polish helped her or not but the ball was nice and shinny.

NewToBowling
03-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks. I did t use anything that aggressive. Used some Menzerna Final Gloss polish with drill attachment. It came out nice and shiny