PDA

View Full Version : Are bowling and golf the only two sports where...

NewToBowling
03-24-2015, 10:54 AM
you don't directly compete against someone else. As in there isn't a defender to stop you or you can not physically stop them from scoring

In these two sports, it's you vs the lane/course. The other people are there to do the same thing.

I think it's unique in that regard.

Also, bowling is relatively cheap and can be played year round.

Mike White
03-24-2015, 10:57 AM
you don't directly compete against someone else. As in there isn't a defender to stop you or you can not physically stop them from scoring

In these two sports, it's you vs the lane/course. The other people are there to do the same thing.

The modern game allows you to screw over your opponent.

That is what the pros do with their practice before the tv show.

AndrewRM
03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
I suppose archery is the same in those regards.

Though it would be interesting to see archery matches where you compete against people and they're trying to shoot your arrow out of the air before you hit the target...

NewToBowling
03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
The modern game allows you to screw over your opponent.

That is what the pros do with their practice before the tv show.

I guess you're talking about oil tansition

augoat
03-24-2015, 11:48 AM

You could probably say track and field. You aren't trying to score, but say distance running is as much about the conditions as it is the competition. But, no, there aren't many sports where it's kind of an individual performance compared to peers.

rv driver
03-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I was going to say bicycling, but then when I think about positioning in the field, drafting, and the other ways in which other riders can be used or blocked, bicycling is quite interactive between competitors.

NewToBowling
03-24-2015, 04:51 PM
I was going to say bicycling, but then when I think about positioning in the field, drafting, and the other ways in which other riders can be used or blocked, bicycling is quite interactive between competitors.

Yep, just like NASCAR or IndyCar. You could say with track racing (funny car, etc) it's you vs the track. You are trying to beat your competitor but nothing you can do to slow him down.

Mike White
03-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Yep, just like NASCAR or IndyCar. You could say with track racing (funny car, etc) it's you vs the track. You are trying to beat your competitor but nothing you can do to slow him down.

In drag racing, slow staging can effect your competition.

Not much defense in darts.

white_rabbitt
03-25-2015, 09:20 AM
It's one of the things I love about both sports!

They also both require repetition of very intricate motions that inevitably leads to different results/games every time out.

fortheloveofbowling
03-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Besides controlling the lane condition as mike was referring to there is also the verbal match as well. You see it on tv a lot and i have heard plenty over the years. Some guys can affect your game if you let them.

rv driver
03-26-2015, 04:13 PM
It's one of the things I love about both sports!

They also both require repetition of very intricate motions that inevitably leads to different results/games every time out.
To me, thats the beauty of bowling right there -- the learning of intricate movement, like a dance, the repetition of the same, requiring an almost Zen approach, and the myriad differences that affect the outcome of each game. No matter how perfectly we repeat shots, we can never control the variable of how the pins are going to react each time.

NewToBowling
03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
All true but it's an art that is not easily appreciated. So to the uneducated it looks like they are simply tossing the ball down the lane like every other time. Thus the reason it isn't a very popular spectator sport

rv driver
03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
All true but it's an art that is not easily appreciated. So to the uneducated it looks like they are simply tossing the ball down the lane like every other time. Thus the reason it isn't a very popular spectator sport
I must be weird, 'cause I've always loved watching bowling. I like watching it better than football or baseball.

NewToBowling
03-26-2015, 10:39 PM
I must be weird, 'cause I've always loved watching bowling. I like watching it better than football or baseball.

I definitely enjoy it now. I DVR all the shows on ESPN.

But football is still #1

swingset
03-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Lots of sports are you against the course with no one else, many of the olympic sports certainly are that way....skiing, marathons, even shooting.

I shoot competitive 3-gun and IPSC and both are me against the course and shot-timer. Only afterwards are my scores compared.

Nothing unique about golf and bowling, except that they're very popular.