PDA

View Full Version : My open bowling scores last night SUCKED

Monte
03-24-2015, 11:42 AM
That terrible smell coming from my local bowling facility last night was ME, after my first game: a 104.

I recovered a little in the 2nd game, shooting a 164 (a lot of opens in the first few frames). The third game, I shot 150.

Though I talked to the pro shop guy about the blistering of my thumb, and he gave me a helpful tidbit about how to grip the ball. So that's probably part of it.

I couldn't find my line last night, either. They JUST oiled the lanes, and I don't think the ball I currently have can handle that, because I was getting very little hook. I had to play an outside-in line (at one point, I was standing 3 boards left of center, and targeting board 10, then I moved a little more outside, standing 5 boards left of center, and targeting board 8).

I'm considering trying to buy a "heavy oil" ball.

Amyers
03-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Monte what are you currently throwing?

Monte
03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm currently only throwing two. An Elite Traitor, and an older Brunswick Reactive.

Amyers
03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Monte,

Depending on how many games you have on the ball it may be time for a resurface if it once had a good reaction and now doesn't. I'm not real familiar with the elite line of balls but from what I've read it's a medium oil ball. Unless something very unusual is going on at your house the odds of you running in to heavy oil during open bowling are probably pretty low. Unfortunately what I'm saying is this is a lot more likely a you problem than a ball problem. Take the money you were going to spend on the ball and have a qualified coach take a look at what you are doing. I can pretty much guarantee you it will be a better investment.

Monte
03-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Monte,

Depending on how many games you have on the ball it may be time for a resurface if it once had a good reaction and now doesn't. I'm not real familiar with the elite line of balls but from what I've read it's a medium oil ball. Unless something very unusual is going on at your house the odds of you running in to heavy oil during open bowling are probably pretty low. Unfortunately what I'm saying is this is a lot more likely a you problem than a ball problem. Take the money you were going to spend on the ball and have a qualified coach take a look at what you are doing. I can pretty much guarantee you it will be a better investment.

I mentioned the oil because at my local bowling center they have a $5/person unlimited bowling thing on Mondays, but they also have a league that night, so I think they lay down fresh conditioner on most (all?) of the lanes. We got there around 5:30, and I think the league started around 7:30, so I'm guessing that they put conditioner down on all the lanes (even those not used for the league) before then. I almost felt like, with my Elite Traitor, I was bowling on the US Open pattern...

I've bowled with the Elite Traitor on medium lanes. That ball probably doesn't even have 100 games on it. Not sure how often I need to consider "resurfacing", but I'll look into it. When I've bowled with it on medium to medium-low conditioner lanes, I can definitely get the hook. On medium oil, I stand about two boards right of center, and try to get a breakpoint around the 8th board (I'm left-handed, so from left side), and I can hit the pocket from there.

I wonder, though, if ball weight has something to do with it. I use 16# equipment, and have been for years, but I've been thinking of going down to 15#.

Amyers
03-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Yah if you've got a 100 games on it and haven't refreshed the surface that could be a problem. I usually have my balls hit with the same grit pad as the surface on it on about every 25 games and resurface every 50 to 60 games. The Traitor has a 2000 grit surface on it every time you bowl it smooth's that surface causing the ball to go longer and longer it will also have less and less ability to handle oil. Have your proshop guy redo it and try it again I bet you can tell a difference.

Monte
03-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Yah if you've got a 100 games on it and haven't refreshed the surface that could be a problem. I usually have my balls hit with the same grit pad as the surface on it on about every 25 games and resurface every 50 to 60 games. The Traitor has a 2000 grit surface on it every time you bowl it smooth's that surface causing the ball to go longer and longer it will also have less and less ability to handle oil. Have your proshop guy redo it and try it again I bet you can tell a difference.

Good deal. I'll check into that.

Could I get the abralon pads myself and do it?

Amyers
03-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Good deal. I'll check into that.

Could I get the abralon pads myself and do it?

At this point it needs a total resurface your PSO will need to put it on a spinner to do it but in the future every 10-15 games you can use a pad to touch the surface up. Just get an Abaron pad for that ball 2000 grit and lightly go over it. Then do the full resurface with the PSO about every 50-75 games and you should be fine.

Monte
03-24-2015, 03:55 PM
At this point it needs a total resurface your PSO will need to put it on a spinner to do it but in the future every 10-15 games you can use a pad to touch the surface up. Just get an Abaron pad for that ball 2000 grit and lightly go over it. Then do the full resurface with the PSO about every 50-75 games and you should be fine.

Cool deal! Thanks for the tips!

Amyers
03-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Cool deal! Thanks for the tips!

Let us know if it helps

Jessiewoodard57
05-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Mine is the opposite I seem to do better on open bowling ...First league and disabled bowling from a seated position in a power chair so I feel like a sore thumb. I wish I had made the shot I did Saturday night at open bowling during league play. I have never been able to pick up the 6,7,10 split but wouldn't you know it during open bowling on dry lanes I slide the 6 pin into the 7 for such a pretty pick up. My son and daughter in law just looked at me with their mouths open.