PDA

View Full Version : Okay. Kids are grown, time to start bowling again!

Cygnus
03-24-2015, 06:00 PM
I wanted to introduce myself here and let everyone know where I'm at. I think this place is a great resource for the sport.

My wife and I were heavy into bowling years ago and were always in multiple leagues and did a lot of tourneys. Stuff got put on hold for us to have a family.

Fast forward twenty years and I'm at a bowling fundraiser for my daughter's travel softball team. Now, I haven't picked up my gear in a very long time, so it was with great surprise and delight when I rolled a 246 on my first game. My last few balls were the Teal Rhino, Nitro and the red pearl Patriot, and I used Lind's shoes. I don't even know what the current "hot" ball is these days so I went over to my friend's bowling center and got hooked up with a new ball, bag and shoes.

After much deliberation, and with the help of the pro shop guy, Mike, I wound up buying a Hammer Absolut Hook for $119. Not bad considering the price included all drilling, finger tip inserts, and free lessons. Didn't want to spend a lot on my first one coming back because I have to work on my approach and get the release down. All the equipment in the world doesn't matter until I have a good foundation.

Anyway, the ball hooks nice, with a long, smooth sweep that's very predictable. I didn't want something that skidded and then flipped hard at the last second. Once I get my chops back I'll probably graduate to a more aggresive ball and a polished ball in case the lanes break down. Thanks for listening! :)

Cygnus

NewToBowling
03-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Wow, 246 for first game after years of not bowling. Very good.

Blomer
03-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Welcome back to bowling! Get ready to get addicted again!

Cygnus
03-24-2015, 09:31 PM
I went out and rolled my strike shot for about three games. I was having a hard time with sticking in the ball and dropping the ball so a friend recommended Turbo tape for the thumb. After messing around with that and putting some white tape in the thumb hole I was finally feeling a little comfortable with my release. I was wondering if anyone here uses the Turbo tape or is it seen more as a "crutch?"

Anyway, when I bowled years ago I used a wrist brace but this time around I'm trying to change up my style a bit from my old "stroker" form to more of a "tweener" and I want to try to eliminate some hardware.

Amyers
03-24-2015, 10:44 PM
I went out and rolled my strike shot for about three games. I was having a hard time with sticking in the ball and dropping the ball so a friend recommended Turbo tape for the thumb. After messing around with that and putting some white tape in the thumb hole I was finally feeling a little comfortable with my release. I was wondering if anyone here uses the Turbo tape or is it seen more as a "crutch?"

Anyway, when I bowled years ago I used a wrist brace but this time around I'm trying to change up my style a bit from my old "stroker" form to more of a "tweener" and I want to try to eliminate some hardware.

Tape is never a crutch almost every top level bowler uses tape. Whether you prefer tape that is applied directly to the thumb or tape in the holes is just personal preference

rv driver
03-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Sheesh! I barely broke 100 on my first game back after 30 years. Welcome back to the game!

Cygnus
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Sheesh! I barely broke 100 on my first game back after 30 years. Welcome back to the game!

I have to confess that the lanes had that recreational block oil pattern so I had a good 8-10 board margin of error going for me and I carried a bunch of ugly pocket hits. But thanks for the welcome back, dude. :)

rv driver
03-26-2015, 12:05 AM
I have to confess that the lanes had that recreational block oil pattern so I had a good 8-10 board margin of error going for me and I carried a bunch of ugly pocket hits. But thanks for the welcome back, dude. :)
I never did like blocked lanes; couldn't throw right on them. But ugly pocket hits or no, that's a respectable score. Take it and RUN! Congrats!

Cygnus
03-26-2015, 12:02 PM
I never did like blocked lanes; couldn't throw right on them. But ugly pocket hits or no, that's a respectable score. Take it and RUN! Congrats!

Thanks. Have to straighten out my shoe issues first.

rv driver
03-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks. Have to straighten out my shoe issues first.
Well... take it and at least limp...
Shoe issues are aggravating. Sometimes I think shoe issues outweigh ball issues, because if you can't approach and slide right, you can't bowl. Balance, timing, ball speed -- all begin with and are rooted in the feet.

SRB57
03-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Welcome back to the game. I myself have recently started back at it after a 12 year layoff. Good luck to you. Steve

dnhoffman
03-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Glad you're getting back into it!

Cygnus
03-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Since getting my new ball last week I've thrown about 12 games. This morning I reconnected with my best friend who is also getting back into the game. We rolled three games and it was the first time I bowled for score all week. Big mistake. Although the first two games were mostly pocket hits I completely ran out of steam on the third game. I can tell when I'm done when I throw one into the right side gutter after chicken-winging it. Of course, my friend threw up a 225 after a four year layoff so that discouraged me a bit. Here I am diligently working, becoming a student of the game again, and Mikey suits up and kills it without a thought. Not gonna let it get me down, I know I have work to do so I'll continue to do so. But today was the first day I wanted to put the wrist brace back on because my control was basically non-existent. Then again, I'm only back for a week...what did I expect?

Cygnus

Amyers
03-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Welcome back to bowling the higher your hopes get the bigger the fall sometimes keep working at it

rv driver
03-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Since getting my new ball last week I've thrown about 12 games. This morning I reconnected with my best friend who is also getting back into the game. We rolled three games and it was the first time I bowled for score all week. Big mistake. Although the first two games were mostly pocket hits I completely ran out of steam on the third game. I can tell when I'm done when I throw one into the right side gutter after chicken-winging it. Of course, my friend threw up a 225 after a four year layoff so that discouraged me a bit. Here I am diligently working, becoming a student of the game again, and Mikey suits up and kills it without a thought. Not gonna let it get me down, I know I have work to do so I'll continue to do so. But today was the first day I wanted to put the wrist brace back on because my control was basically non-existent. Then again, I'm only back for a week...what did I expect?

Cygnus
Putting in the work to get better is half the fun!

Cygnus
03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and support. This will be a fun ride and I'm glad to be here.

Cygnus

Jessiewoodard57
04-14-2015, 03:10 PM

RV I can relate 35 years ago I had to help my ball hook and I still have that bad habit of coming over the top of the ball resulting hook in a that is a 7 pin only at best....get so mad at myself when I do that