PDA

View Full Version : resurfacing

PauL757
04-01-2015, 01:45 AM
Is there a difference between Abralon and Siaair pads?

bowl1820
04-01-2015, 10:52 AM

As for the grit there is no practical difference between Abralon and Siaair when new both use the same scale.

Abralon uses silicon carbide as its abrasive
Siaair uses aluminum oxide as its abrasive.

Siaair last's a little longer than Abralon, But Abralon is usually a little cheaper in cost.

You can make Abralon last longer if your careful not to use too much pressure when using them.

ralphs007
04-01-2015, 11:15 AM

You can get some good deals on eBay on these pads.

vdubtx
04-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Better prices at abralonpads.com. That is where I buy mine from. They carry both Abralon and Siaair pads.

foreverincamo
04-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Just the price, as far as I can see . They do the same thing.

dnhoffman
04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Siaair last a bit longer

ralphs007
04-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Better prices at abralonpads.com. That is where I buy mine from. They carry both Abralon and Siaair pads.

Thanks for the link ! I did find a descent price on ebay, 17.75 for six Siaair pads shipped. I'll have to bookmark the site you gave.

fokai73
04-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I prefer Siaair pads, but the 3M trizact 3K and 5K last wwwaaaaaayyyyy longer than these two pads. $7 to $9 a piece, it may seem much but I'm not spending $2.70 to $3 every 5 to 6 uses on a siaair 4K or 3 to 4 uses on a abralon pad. The tri pads can do a whole car and some....

In any case, if you want your pad to last longer, do wet sanding. Using water acts like a lube and helps too in saving your pad. I only dry sand if I'm bowling in true heavy conditions, but that's just me. Wet sanding helps keep the dust down and keep you from breathing in the bad stuff.....

Jessiewoodard57
04-10-2015, 01:43 PM

thanks for the tip ...ordered a 10 pack combo

vdubtx
04-10-2015, 02:07 PM
I prefer Siaair pads, but the 3M trizact 3K and 5K last wwwaaaaaayyyyy longer than these two pads. $7 to $9 a piece, it may seem much but I'm not spending $2.70 to $3 every 5 to 6 uses on a siaair 4K or 3 to 4 uses on a abralon pad. The tri pads can do a whole car and some....

In any case, if you want your pad to last longer, do wet sanding. Using water acts like a lube and helps too in saving your pad. I only dry sand if I'm bowling in true heavy conditions, but that's just me. Wet sanding helps keep the dust down and keep you from breathing in the bad stuff.....

Yep, wet sanding is my preferred method. Only time I am doing dry is when I am at the center and want to put a bit of surface quickly while I am practicing or before I start bowling.

thanks for the tip ...ordered a 10 pack combo

Yep, always good service from them.

HowDoIHookAgain
04-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Question; what is the point of resurfacing a ball, and should I be concerned about it? The most I bowl right now is twice a week, but it's mostly just once a week on Sundays. When the school team starts up again, it's about 1-3 matches a week for 2 months. Is it really something I have to worry about right now, or should I worry about it a little down the road? I'm using an Ebonite Cyclone (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/ebonite/9500/cyclone-blackgoldsilver-.html) and have been using it for about 8 months now. I clean my ball after every time I bowl (it's become a ritual of mine to clean it after every match/Sunday morning, which I suppose isn't a bad thing). Just answer what resurfacing does and if I have to worry about it right now?

bowl1820
04-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Just answer what resurfacing does and if I have to worry about it right now?

Resurfacing/refinishing is another part of proper ball maintenance, along with proper cleaning.

Resurfacing/refinishing helps your ball maintain a consistent reaction and also by altering a balls surface when needed, you can better match the ball to the lane conditions to get optimal performance.

Should you worry about it now? I'd say Yes, But it just]depends on how much you you want to put in maintaining your ball. The rule of thumb is to touch up your surface about every 9 games, with resurface about every 60 games. But really it just depends on how much you bowl and the conditions you bowl on.

You say you've been using it for 8 months, it do!

I touch up my surfaces every week.

Amyers
04-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Short answer yes you should.

8 months x 4 weeks x 3 games = 96 games. Your ball is no where near the surface you started with

PauL757
04-13-2015, 02:08 AM
thanks for all the input. l will try to get Siaair pads

Perrin
04-13-2015, 11:43 AM
I have to agree with everyone else.

I wish I could find the study but there was one done that shows that depending on your starting surface the track surface can be significantly changed in as little as 3 games.

hddon
04-14-2015, 02:27 PM
here is the surface analysis video done by Jayhawk bowling supply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMwsO2JCZxY
you can see for yourself a change when you bowl it is very apparent.