PDA

View Full Version : Do your shoes really make a difference?

morgothaod
04-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Well, I don't get much slide out of my shoes and I find myself being about a foot or slightly less/more behind the foul line. Do you think a pair of shoes with better slide, will help improve my game? I assume I may find it easier to hit my target if I am closer to it. All the bowling shoes I have owned were under $40 (Dexter).

bowl1820
04-01-2015, 12:44 PM
The obvious first step (pardon the pun) is just start a little closer .

Yes a better pair of shoes could help, a cheaper place to start maybe to try a bowlers "Slide sock"

http://images.bowling.com/1906.jpg

you just pull it over your shoe. (You could actually use a sock)

HowDoIHookAgain
04-02-2015, 06:36 AM
I'm currently using an old pair of Dexters that a friend gave me. I've been using them for a while, and the slide on them is insane. if you aren't getting the slide you like, then by all means, buy a new pair of bowling shoes. But if you don't want to spend the money or anything, then I recommend moving up about half a foot or so closer to the foul line at the approach. I'm thinking that by doing this you wont have any need for a slide, since you will be closer to the foul line just by moving up.

jab5325
04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
For me, good shoes make a huge difference.

I always used the cheapest pair of Dexters I could buy. But, I finally ponied up for a pair of SST8s, and love them--I won't go back.

augoat
04-02-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm fairly new to bowling but not sports. In any sport shoes are very important. While your arm is certainly important, it all starts with footwork. It's important that your feet are comfortable, supported and that you get the reaction you want out of the footwear. If you are compensating for your feet getting tired or uncomfortable, that is going to affect other aspects of your base and can alter your game or lead to early fatigue or even an injury. If you feel you need more slide, then you should take the necessary steps (either buy new shoes or try a shoe sock).