PDA

View Full Version : Bowling ball names

NewToBowling
04-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I love how all these manufacturers come out with these cool names for their balls (Bad Intentions, Critical Theory, Frantic, etc). Just wondering when it started. Did it start with the new reactive resin balls or was it earlier.

I'm certain it will go on and on but over time they are going to run out of "good" options and have to start using tier 2-3 names like Diarrhea Blast or Colon Cleanser

rv driver
04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I love how all these manufacturers come out with these cool names for their balls (Bad Intentions, Critical Theory, Frantic, etc). Just wondering when it started. Did it start with the new reactive resin balls or was it earlier.

I'm certain it will go on and on but over time they are going to run out of "good" options and have to start using tier 2-3 names like Diarrhea Blast or Colon Cleanser
I basically stopped bowling in the mid-80s. By then, they had begun with the names. I was in the thick of it when Columbia came out with their benchmark "Yellow Dot," so named, because the ball had a ... yellow dot on it. That was before receive resin, back in the days of emerging urethane.

RobLV1
04-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Bowling Ball names have gotten pretty out of control. I remember a few years ago, I won a Hammer Hawg in a raffle. As a middle school English teacher at the time, I sold it to a friend so that I wouldn't be seen using a ball that had "hog" on it, but spelled wrong. LOL

JoeInPI
04-03-2015, 10:14 PM
It is pretty ridiculous now, I agree. I remember when it was a Rhino. Which one? Black? Wine, Cobalt... etc. Red hammer, blue hammer, black hammer, etc.

Now they really don't tell you anything, and unless you're a ball rep, a pro-shop owner or one of the pro shop groupies, I doubt anyone knows all of the names and their characteristics. The names are like the colors- they're mostly all swirls, which give the bowler the impression that they're really cranking some revs.

Cars are getting to be the same way with manufacturers that went from names to a series of letters.

Tony
04-03-2015, 10:25 PM
I had a Ebonite grey wolf in the mid 90's , it was one of the earlier reactive balls . I recall bowling with some guys having Nitro's before that but I think they were rubber or plastic.

Mike White
04-04-2015, 04:21 AM
You mean names like Crown Jewel, or Black Beauty?

Tony
04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
You mean names like Crown Jewel, or Black Beauty?

First ball I remember is the Black Beauty ! I wonder if there are some still around, maybe being used as spare ball ?