PDA

View Full Version : downward spiral....

foreverincamo
04-04-2015, 08:50 PM
For my team, that is. I guess bowling with 4 other guys who enjoy golfing so much, it's to be expected that we have gone into a tailspin and can't win a point. We have a 7-point system per week, and have gone 0-28 the last four weeks, and 4-38 over the last 6 weeks. We are 15th out of 16 teams.
It's not like we aren't trying. No matter what we throw, we lose. We lost one game by two pins, and every guy was over average. Absolutely snake-bitten. But the guys are talking more golf than bowling since the weather is getting nicer. We're going to be short a guy for two weeks because some guys are going on golf vacations. My wife complains about how much bowling costs, but greens fees are outrageous. A round of 18 holes for what I paid for most of my balls this season. Too much for me.

J Anderson
04-04-2015, 09:40 PM
For my team, that is. I guess bowling with 4 other guys who enjoy golfing so much, it's to be expected that we have gone into a tailspin and can't win a point. We have a 7-point system per week, and have gone 0-28 the last four weeks, and 4-38 over the last 6 weeks. We are 15th out of 16 teams.

It's not like we aren't trying. No matter what we throw, we lose. We lost one game by two pins, and every guy was over average. Absolutely snake-bitten. But the guys are talking more golf than bowling since the weather is getting nicer. We're going to be short a guy for two weeks because some guys are going on golf vacations. My wife complains about how much bowling costs, but greens fees are outrageous. A round of 18 holes for what I paid for most of my balls this season. Too much for me.

I know the feeling. On Wednesdays, it seems like if my partner and I aren't cancelling out eachothers good games, someone on the other team is 40 or 50 pins over. On Thursdays, we finished the first half in first place. Now we're dead last.

Tony
04-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Seems like our team is the opposite, we bowl poorly and lose the first half of the season and do well the second half, most of the talk this time of year has shifted
to fishing rather than golf. Too bad storm quit making those balls that look like giant golf balls. maybe that would get your golf guys excited about bowling again !

foreverincamo
04-05-2015, 01:47 PM
I just can't believe what a round of golf costs. My league fees are $17, but I get a return at the end of the season. My buddies are paying around $40 a round for practice in March! Doesn't it cost more once the weather turns nice?

Tony
04-06-2015, 03:21 PM
I just can't believe what a round of golf costs. My league fees are $17, but I get a return at the end of the season. My buddies are paying around $40 a round for practice in March! Doesn't it cost more once the weather turns nice?

Probably could depending on the area, around here the cost runs from 23 to 56 per round on the public courses, they have some specials for after 3 pm starts
and for fall rates but their are no discounted early season rates.

jab5325
04-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Cost is one of the reasons why I gave up golf. I can deal with equipment/ball investments......but greens fees/carts are just absurd. Add the hassle of trying to get a tee time at a decent course, and I've all but given up the game entirely.

Bowling, while relatively cheap, is getting more and more expensive. High end balls are about the same cost as they were 7-8 years ago......but $3.50+ per game is prohibitive to a lot of young people.

NewToBowling
04-07-2015, 12:46 PM
I really only bowl when I have coupons or bowling alleys have good deals. So basically I stay away Friday and Saturday evenings. Sunday's have the best deals. My limit is $2/game and under because when I go I like to bowl a lot of games. At least 5-6

Mike White
04-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Cost is one of the reasons why I gave up golf. I can deal with equipment/ball investments......but greens fees/carts are just absurd. Add the hassle of trying to get a tee time at a decent course, and I've all but given up the game entirely.

Bowling, while relatively cheap, is getting more and more expensive. High end balls are about the same cost as they were 7-8 years ago......but $3.50+ per game is prohibitive to a lot of young people.

If it's a hassle to get a tee time, then they are underpricing the green fees.

For example, they price a ticket to Disneyland high because they don't want someone to come all the way out here, and then have the park be completely full.

Yeah it's gonna cost a lot, but at least you can get in and not waste the trip.

jab5325
04-07-2015, 01:32 PM

For example, they price a ticket to Disneyland high because they don't want someone to come all the way out here, and then have the park be completely full.

That's not entirely what I meant, although I should've communicated my point more clearly.

Often, I used to want to get a round in before work. The club I used to play at, which was underutilized, had certain times reserved for "members only"....semi-private if you will. If I have to go to work at 1pm, a 10am tee time just won't do most of the time.

J Anderson
04-07-2015, 08:16 PM

I had heard that Disney routinely raises prices until they notice a drop in attendance. Then they cut the price slightly.

Tony
04-07-2015, 10:17 PM

As a frequent Disney visitor I know that the parks can close when reaching capacity, they have 4 phases of closure and progressively allow fewer type of guests into the park.
The happens mostly with The Magic Kingdom, the times have been Easter and Christmas. Phase 2 Re-entering or hopping park guest , guests arriving on Disney transportation and the phase 3 people, Phase 3 only allows guests staying on Disney property and Annual Passholders. Phase 4 allows no-one
Phase 2 happens every Christmas, Phase 3 has happened about 15-20 times the last 5 years,Phase 4 last happened in 2009

So to answer your example Yes in some instances you can buy a ticket to Disney and not be able to get in. The phases are temporary but might last several hours or a fair chunk of
a day depending on how quickly people leave the park and make room for more.
FYI this is Florida, Being smaller DisneyLand is a little more suspect to these temporary closures.