PDA

View Full Version : "The Right Ball"

RobLV1
04-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Most of us agree that with modern bowling balls, you cannot outbowl a bad ball reaction. We talk about having "the right ball" in our hand to suit the lane condition. What's your definition of "the right ball"?

rv driver
04-08-2015, 02:11 PM
To me, the "right ball" is the one that does what you need it to do with a minimum amount of effort.

mc_runner
04-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Gets to where you want to be on the breakpoint without forcing it, drives through the pins without rolling out or skidding, and makes it obvious when you need to adjust.

bowl1820
04-08-2015, 04:34 PM
The one that carries the corners.

Getting a ball to hit the pocket isn't really that hard, even bowling bad as I have been. I can take every ball I have and hit the hole with it, but carrying is another story and The problem is usually corners leaves.

Mark O
04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
This may be an overly simple answer but my definition of the "right ball" is the ball that makes the game easy. And what I mean by easy(on a house shot) is that I have ample miss room left and right and my carry percentage is high.

bubba809
04-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Control & predictability.

Had many balls where I never quite knew what it was going to do on a given night. I attribute this more to the "right" layout pattern for each individual bowler. Everyone has a different release/axis/speed. The right ball and layout for your particular game will result in control & predictability.

RobLV1
04-09-2015, 12:09 PM
What do you all think of this? The "Right" ball for any given lane condition is the one that you do not have to throw perfectly to strike.

Mike White
04-09-2015, 12:48 PM
The real question should be, why are so many balls the "Wrong" ball?

They appear to be designed to be very finicky about lane conditions.

jab5325
04-09-2015, 12:56 PM
The "right" ball allows me to stay the most comfortable while making a shot.

Meaning, I don't have to flatten my hand, bend my wrist, alter my release, etc. as much to throw "my way".

For me, the Bad Intentions is the "right" ball to start out with on a given league night on a THS pattern. As the game progresses, the "right ball" will move away from the Bad Intentions to something less aggressive that still allows me to play the same/similar lines to the pocket with the same throwing mechanics.

HowDoIHookAgain
04-09-2015, 01:21 PM
The "Right Ball" is the one that carries into the pocket well without an insane hook, or without me doing anything strenuous. It's also a ball I can use and rely on to make the majority of my spares (excluding 10 pin spares, depending on how little oil is on the lanes in any given week).

rv driver
04-09-2015, 02:12 PM
The real question should be, why are so many balls the "Wrong" ball?

They appear to be designed to be very finicky about lane conditions.
This probably goes along with the questions, "Why are there so many lane conditions and throwing styles?"

Tony
04-09-2015, 05:56 PM
The right ball for me is the one that allows me to use my regular line, stance, hand position , ball speed and doesn't require me to move much
throughout the evening plus gives me a couple of boards of margin and allows some not so great shots to carry along the way.

rv driver
04-09-2015, 09:27 PM
The right ball would smell like steak.

Aslan
04-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Most of us agree that with modern bowling balls, you cannot outbowl a bad ball reaction. We talk about having "the right ball" in our hand to suit the lane condition. What's your definition of "the right ball"?

:confused:

I would say:

#1- A ball that fits your hand well. Too many bowlers out there with second hand balls that don't fit right or maybe a weight that isn't right or drilling layouts that are goofy.

#2- A ball you can control....whether a weight issue or a ball strength/motion issue...again, too many bowlers buying the most expensive, lowest RG, highest flare, newest core ball because on the internet video they saw it turn on a dime into the pocket. Then they spend 5-6 weeks unable to control it.

I have this issue with my two Encounters. With my erratic/work-in-progress release...I have no idea what those balls are going to do downlane from shot to shot.

And that leads to #3- A ball you're confident with. I KNOW I can throw my Rhythm well. I've scored nearly every high score and high series using that ball. It fits my hand the best...the thumbhole is reasonably sized...and I know the arc it's going to make. Same as my old Frantic...with the moderate strength cover...and a symmetric core...I KNOW what those balls can (and can't) do.

The rest of my arsenal is more of a "?". The Encounters usually don't respond well to my inconsistent release (assymetric core). The thumbholes are way too big so there's like 8-9 pieces of tape in there. The Bullet Train has a good (VISE) thumb fit and a symmetric core...but it's coverstock is very strong so sometimes it over-reacts...especially if I keep my hand in a good position and relax my shot. And the Slingshot is a reliable ball...but thumb fit is also an issue with this ball...AND...I'm just not confident that it can carry corner pins (to Bowl1820's point).

RobLV1
04-13-2015, 04:07 PM
The right ball for me is the one that allows me to use my regular line, stance, hand position , ball speed and doesn't require me to move much
throughout the evening plus gives me a couple of boards of margin and allows some not so great shots to carry along the way.

The first article that I wrote for BTM back in 2007 was about the dangers in preconception in bowling. When I hear about a "regular" line, it absolutely sends shivers up my spine!

fortheloveofbowling
04-14-2015, 04:04 AM
The short answers are: something i can miss my target with and still get to the pocket or in other cases a ball that carries the corners. But, for the vast majority of us talking about the right ball is putting the cart before the horse. Unfortunately and sad to say a very very large percentage of bowlers never learn what the right ball is. You first have to understand the wrong ball, wrong foot placements, wrong angles, etc.

RobLV1
04-14-2015, 07:57 AM
The short answers are: something i can miss my target with and still get to the pocket or in other cases a ball that carries the corners. But, for the vast majority of us talking about the right ball is putting the cart before the horse. Unfortunately and sad to say a very very large percentage of bowlers never learn what the right ball is. You first have to understand the wrong ball, wrong foot placements, wrong angles, etc.

So true! Not long ago I had a long time bowler who averages over 225 come up to me while I was practicing. He asked me if the ball I was using was my "best ball." I asked what he meant by "best ball," and he looked at me like I had two heads and said, "Why, the one that hooks the most." For bowlers like the one I'm describing who have so much physical talent that they can average 225 on a house shot, having the right ball in hand is a whole lot less important than it is for the rest of us who don't have the power and speed to make one ball work all the time.

Mike White
04-14-2015, 01:54 PM

Rather than hunt for that ball that allows you to strike while missing your target, why not work harder at not missing your target. That would make all of your balls better.

fortheloveofbowling
04-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Rather than hunt for that ball that allows you to strike while missing your target, why not work harder at not missing your target. That would make all of your balls better.

In an article one time brian voss was quoted as saying the first thing he does is find a line where he can miss and still get to the pocket. I'm sure you haven't gone brooklyn since 1994 huh? If you have to hit dimes out there every shot you might want to work on your lane play theories.

bobforsaken
04-14-2015, 07:47 PM
For me the "right ball" and "the right line" get a bit conflated. The right line, to me is the line that allows me to miss a bit right or left and still hit pocket.. The right ball is the one that allows me to be a bit imperfect on my axis of rotation and rev rate and still carry.

Hammer
05-15-2015, 10:31 PM
The right ball is the one that works the best on the lane conditions that we bowl on league. I try out both balls during the practice segment of league night and see which ball is handling the conditions the best. That is the one I use.