PDA

View Full Version : Timing Research

RobLV1
04-10-2015, 11:09 AM
I would like to ask for your help for an article that I am writing for BTM regarding timing. I would appreciate it if you would take a few minutes to answer the following questions for my research:

1. What do we mean by "timing" in bowling?
2. Is there a standard for "good" timing?
3. Do certain types of bowlers use certain kinds of timing?
4. What happens when your timing is off?
5. What is the #1 cause of bad timing?
6. What can you do to correct bad timing?
7. Are you aware of your own timing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

jab5325
04-10-2015, 11:21 AM
1-
To me, timing means having a delivery that gets you to allow for a proper slide step/release. If your delivery (arm swing) is late, it'll cause you to do x. If you're delivery is early, it'll cause you to do y.

2-
There is no standard for timing because people vary their arm speeds/foot speeds during approach.

3-
The crankers in my league have excellent timing. One in particular has one of the best overall deliveries I've ever seen--it's textbook: Knee slightly goes forward after release, terrific balance, good slide length (which is short). Conversely, I see tweeners mess up timing the most....but that also might be because there are no good "tweeners" in my league.

4-
When my timing is off, I always yank the ball. I almost never leave it out, unless I "drop" the ball. Bad timing is my #1 problem.

5-
The cause of said problem, bad timing, for me is mental. I lack focus, or sometimes, I focus on one aspect of my delivery so much that I neglect others. I have developed a consistent routine this season, and my average has climbed consistently as the year went on. I'm going to end up in the upper 170s, and am going to continue bowling through the summer. I'm still not "there" yet though.

6-
To correct bad timing, I find I need to be aware of what I'm doing. If I'm yanking the ball all the time, I need to fix my timing. I try to keep a mental metronome going to make sure I'm staying true to what I consider good timing.

7-
I am very aware of my own timing, almost hyper-aware. This too causes problems. The more you think about any one aspect on a league/tournament day, the more you're likely to screw it up. Practice (meaning, practicing correct habits) makes perfect--practice not until you get it right, but until you can't get it wrong. Once you reach that point, you're golden. I believe timing is everything in bowling. Good timing will allow for a good arm swing, good bend, good slide, a good release, and a high average.

bowl1820
04-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I would like to ask for your help for an article that I am writing for BTM regarding timing. I would appreciate it if you would take a few minutes to answer the following questions for my research:

Well, I guess the textbook answer would be the relationship of the ball to the steps you take though your approach and delivery.

I would say arriving at your release point, just a moment after the slide foot stops.

Though I would think good timing would be any timing that had your release at the proper point and moment in your swing/approach that gave you the most effective and accurate shot.

From what I've read I believe Yes, also I believe timing has changed over the years.

Would depend on which way it was off your either pull it, leak it out, lose your leverage and power, hit up on it.

I'd say not getting the ball started soon enough, which causes you to be late at there release point. Then you start muscling the ball trying to catch it up.

Get the ball started sooner, have a free swing and raising or lowering the ball in your stance adjusts timing.

To some extent, IMO I'm late most the time so tend to pull the ball a lot because I'm pulling down on my swing to bring the ball back into time.

fokai73
04-10-2015, 05:41 PM
1. Timing - Is how I start my approach and how I finish. The whole approach has a tempo.

2. There is none. Everyone has different timing. CB, TJ, and ND all have different timing.

3. Yes, as stated above. Likewise, if we talk about the end timing, which is at the foul line, then there are differences too. The modern planted foot or late later timing, where the slide foot arrives at the foul line a split second before the ball arrives. Then there is the classic timing which the slide foot and the ball arrives at the same time.

4. Pull, pushes, and/or fall off my shot happens if my timing is bad. Also, I don't have any leverage and the ball is a dud.

5. Not being present during my set up at the approach. which is due to me rushing to the lanes without having the chance to stretch and relax my mind after a long day at work.

6. I have a trigger to when I start my push away and how my push is done in a certain manner. If I am aware of this, I can correct it easily. If not, and my mind is struggling and thinking with everything else, I'll have a really bad day.

7. I would like to think so, but if I truely was aware 100%, I wouldn't be a house hack.....

J Anderson
04-10-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. I think of it as the armswing and footwork being in synch.
2. Yes.
3. Probably yes, I'm still working on all the different ways we could classify bowlers.
4. Most of the time the shot is off target. Some times it can have a negative effect on the release.
5. Speaking only for myself, fast feet.
7. Aware only of the effect.
6. When I become aware the my timing is off, I make sure my first step is slow, short, and deliberate.

HowDoIHookAgain
04-10-2015, 06:49 PM
By timing, we mean your body being in sync with itself. In other words, your legs and your arms are working together in unison.
There is no perfect example or "standard" for timing. Everyone is different; some prefer to go a little fast, some a little slow.
Of course. As generations of bowling have changed, timing has changed along with them. One generation may be slower than another. And with the 2-handed bowlers coming into play, I believe they have a unique timing method they use.
A majority of things can happen when your timing is off. You can pull the ball away from you (righties pull to the right, lefties to the left), you can throw your arm across your body (righties go left side of the lanes, lefties throw right). In most cases, this will cause your ball to have more/less hook, depending on where your ball is thrown, which can really screw with you. You also will tend to have an inconsistent shot, and will rarely string together strikes or spares.
There really is no #1 cause of poor timing. There are a multitude of things; slow/fast arm swing, trying to hurl the ball, fast/slow feet, and even poor releases can mess with your timing. For me, the #1 cause of bad timing is fast feet, which seems to be a major issue amongst younger and newer bowlers.
Again, it really all depends on what you are doing wrong. If you are forcing the ball/hurling it, clearly you have to throw the ball with a little less force. With fast feet, you have to slow down, and with slow feet, you have to go a bit quicker. That doesn't mean rush yourself or baby the ball. All it means is perhaps taking a more deliberate, smaller first step for fast feet, or perhaps starting your second step sooner for slow feet.
I am very aware of my own timing. I tend to have fast feet, and this is the main cause of inconsistency. Going back to not being able to string together strikes/spares, I'm very fortunate to mostly bowl in a house where Brooklyn strikes happen a LOT, which is where most of my shots go when I'm fast. However, in many other houses, I may not get so lucky. Timing is by far one of the most important things in the sport. If you're going to master bowling, one of your first priorities has to be your timing.

Amyers
04-11-2015, 12:47 AM
1. where the ball is in the swing in line with the footwork

2. The simplest is being able to post your shot. With video you can look at certain points in your swing and footwork

3. Yes

4. Mostly I pull the shot to the left ( I'm a righty)

5. Starting the ball late or raising it in the push away

6. Watch my foot speed and try to post my shots

7. Bad answer sometimes

classygranny
04-11-2015, 07:42 PM
The relationship between the arm swing and the footwork in order to achieve good body position at the line

I believe Mark Baker is correct in the theory of the ball being horizontal to the floor (coming down) at the time the pivot step is flat on the floor (I can see this in some of the bowlers I believe have good timing)

When looking at the feet/hand at time of release, yes

Inaccuracy, poor body position at foul line

Controlled arm swing, starting ball late/pushing ball up rather than out and down

Relax/loosen the arm swing, start the ball sooner

Unfortunately, no I haven't perfected that issue as of yet

RobLV1
04-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Actually, Baker's Timing Spot occurs when the slide foot is parallel to the bowling side hip. This is close to when the pivot step is flat on the floor, but can be just slightly later depending on the length of the steps of the individual bowler.

Aslan
04-13-2015, 01:18 PM

Having the ball arrive at the release point where/when it 'should'.

Most modern experts would agree the ball should get to the release point as your foot is sliding towards the foul line and the release should occur when the arm is parallel with the sliding foot/leg.

Absolutely. Bowling is a sport with a wide variety of releases and approaches. Even PBA bowlers through history have utilized "early timing" or "late timing". When it's done intentionally...it becomes their "timing" where as others trying to mimic it may think it's too late or too early.

I've been told that most shots you "pull" (left for rightys) are because of bad timing. When my timing is off I find that I miss the pocket a LOT more than when my timing is good. I may hit the pocket only 30% with bad timing...or even less...but more like 60-70% when my timing is "on".

I would say for most bowlers I've watched...it's just very bad fundamentals. Not pushing the ball away...not taking a 4-step approach. Also, a lot of people have the tendency to "run" to the foul line...which makes you have to rush the shot...bad timing, etc... For ME...when my timing is off it's usually because either my feet are moving too fast and I need to "dial it down a notch" or it's because I've inserted a "studder step" of some kind.

I used to count to myself during my swing. I'd say "PUSH", "BACK", "BACK AND...", "SWING". Each phrase was a step in the 4-step approach. It helped. But with so much already going on in my head...I've tried to remove that so I have room for a few more pressing thoughts/areas of focus.

Absolutely. If I'm having a really bad night...especially if I'm just missing the pocket...left side AND right side....I know it's not the lane and it's not the ball...it's ME...and it's probably timing related.

ChuckR
04-15-2015, 06:25 PM
I had a good example of BAD Timing last night. I had been working on continuing steps, NOT pausing when I started the ball in motion. The first game I THOUGHT about this and bowled a 159. The last 2 games I trusted that I had learned to keep my feet moving. Shot a 200 and 256.
League is NOT a good time to practice, but to implement.

Mark O
04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Timing is the difference in time between the foot getting to the foul line and the ball getting to the foul line

A standard for good timing would either be both arriving at the line at the same time or the ball arriving at the line immediately after the foot

I would say a "cranker" uses slightly late timing for increased leverage

You pull shots and you fall off in one direction or another once you get to the line

Feet that are too quick/too slow

Adjust speed/length of steps to match your armswing

I am relatively aware of my own timing mainly because I know if I can't post a shot then my timing is off and I can usually make an adjustment.