PDA

View Full Version : How much slide are you supposed to get from shoes

NewToBowling
04-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Ok, I've been wearing a Dexter pair my wife got me used on Craigslist. Find out it's a Raquel (womens) model but all black so looks unisex.

Looks in decent condition but the sole area is worn down a bit. This is the only bowling shoe I have ever owned. There is definitely a lot of slide probably due to worn out heel.

I read that most new shoes have to be broken in and there is a definite break in period. I am used to how my worn out shoe reacts but curious what the "proper" slide should feel like. I feel my shoe only stops from loss of energy and not from anything the shoe/heel is doing in regards to friction.

vdubtx
04-22-2015, 12:27 PM
There isn't a prescribed amount of slide that you are supposed to get. The slide is indicative of the style of each bowler. I personally like a lot of slide. I will typically get 18" or so of slide at the end of my approach.

got_a_300
04-22-2015, 03:21 PM
There is no definite break in time on a new pair of shoes it
varies from bowler to bowler it could be a week or a couple
of weeks or longer depending on how many games you bowl
per week.

There is also no set limit on how much slide you should get
from a pair of shoes some people slide a bunch and some do
not slide at all such as plant and throw bowlers.

As vdubtx said he gets 18" of slide I used to get that much or
more back in my younger days I would stop anywhere from a
1/4" to a 1/2" from the foul line on every throw before taking
a 12 year break from bowling.

Now days after the break and after a bad back and bad knees
I have hardly any slide at all and stop around 2 feet or there
abouts from the foul line. I'm pretty much a plant and throw
type of bowler now and nowhere as good and no where as
accurate at bowling as I used to be.

NewToBowling
04-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Well after learning to slide vs planting I am big on sliding as it helps redirect some of the energy away from knees and hips thus I no longer have any knee or hip pain. Would hate to get a new shoe and have it "stick" and not allow me to not slide as I'm used to.

ralphs007
04-22-2015, 09:02 PM
There isn't a prescribed amount of slide that you are supposed to get. The slide is indicative of the style of each bowler. I personally like a lot of slide. I will typically get 18" or so of slide at the end of my approach.

Do you focus on keeping your weight toward your toes on your front foot to help you slide?

SRB57
04-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Everyone's slide is different. It is something you have to be comfortable with for your style. I don't slide a lot and recently got a pair of dexter sst 8 an can't get comfortable with them so still using my custom linds which are no longer made. I am wearing them around the house with the protectors on them to try and get use to how they feel. I amy never like these and may be a expensive mistake. Steve

Hammer
04-22-2015, 11:03 PM
I don't slide much because I am not far from the foul line when I set up on the approach. I might only be 10 to 12 feet from the foul line. This is mostly because of my age-68- and arthritis in my hips and knees. When I was younger I started at the back of the approach and had a longer slide. I might slide a couple feet or more.

jab5325
04-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Well after learning to slide vs planting I am big on sliding as it helps redirect some of the energy away from knees and hips thus I no longer have any knee or hip pain. Would hate to get a new shoe and have it "stick" and not allow me to not slide as I'm used to.

If you get Dexter SSTs with an S10 or S12 slide pad.......sticking would not be a concern at all.