PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sooooo Excited!!!!

classygranny
05-02-2015, 10:30 AM
We plan on taking our annual vacation and spending a week in San Clemente this month. Since we have installed the tonneau cover on the truck we will be able to take our bowling balls. And with that, I was able to schedule a one-hour lesson with video with Mark Baker. I am so excited, as I have read his book and watched his dvd, and now I get to have personal lesson - what could make this vacation any better than that? Just hope I don't get lost finding the bowling alley!

bowl1820
05-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Sounds like you have a great time planned, Hope you get some great tips from Mark!

vdubtx
05-02-2015, 12:04 PM
You know what's better than that? The possibility to meet Aslan. Think he lives around there. You should definitely meet up. :D

Where you been classygranny? It's been awhile since you posted here.

classygranny
05-02-2015, 08:12 PM
You know what's better than that? The possibility to meet Aslan. Think he lives around there. You should definitely meet up. :D

Where you been classygranny? It's been awhile since you posted here.

Yes, you are probably right! I thought about that but I'm just not sure how my husband would take to meeting him, or vice-versa. I would be game if he is, but I'm not driving in that traffic unless I have to, or to my lesson, of course.

I've been reading most posts - usually while we are watching basketball, baseball games, but it seems with so little time available (work has been absolutely crazy and hasn't slowed down for the summer yet), I haven't been posting much. And, I've been kinda up/down and funky about my bowling lately and didn't want my negative aura to be absorbed by the good people on this forum.

Aslan
05-02-2015, 10:19 PM

Yes, you are probably right!
Well, of course thats a huge benefit. Goes without saying. I'm not from San Clemente, thats about 45 minutes to an hour away. I dated a gal from there for about 6 months so I know the area though.

Yes, you are probably right! I thought about that but I'm just not sure how my husband would take to meeting him, or vice-versa.
Wait a minute! What did I do!! How can some guy I don't know and have never met have an issue with me??

On second thought, I don't want to know.

And, I've been kinda up/down and funky about my bowling lately and didn't want my negative aura to be absorbed by the good people on this forum.
Actually I'd prefer if people actually DID post about their funky bowling. It's getting kinda boring being the ONLY one that can't seem to bowl very well. Most people that post their scores only post them when they roll a near 700 series. Or it's VDub posting that he bowled a 267-248-181 and had an "off night"…usually I read that just before I post my 179-182-167 series which I was sorta proud of….until I read how horrible VDub's 181 was…then I'm embarassed and want to stick my head in the sand.

I plan on getting a 1hr lesson from Mark this summer. I have family in town right now until mid-June but then plan to schedule it.

As to a meeting; I'm gonna pass now that I know her husband hates me. But…if it were a challenge or tournament or dare of some kind…then obviously standard "A Christmas Story" dare rules apply. The only issue is how much handicap I'm being given…and whether or not it's even possible to request handicap from a girl. I'm not sure how the rules apply to that type of thing. It's too bad it wasn't an Easter vacation because she could have taken part in the 2ABHMAVZSCI…witnessed my awesomeness in person…and seen Mike fall down in person. Win-Win-Win.

classygranny
05-03-2015, 05:16 PM
As to a meeting; I'm gonna pass now that I know her husband hates me. But…if it were a challenge or tournament or dare of some kind…then obviously standard "A Christmas Story" dare rules apply. The only issue is how much handicap I'm being given…and whether or not it's even possible to request handicap from a girl. I'm not sure how the rules apply to that type of thing. It's too bad it wasn't an Easter vacation because she could have taken part in the 2ABHMAVZSCI…witnessed my awesomeness in person…and seen Mike fall down in person. Win-Win-Win.

Hey, I NEVER said he hates you...he would never prejudge (he doesn't even know about you). Just not sure how we would react meeting you for the first time - when I say, "hey, let's go meet up with this guy that posts on the bowling forum I'm always reading". Yes, a bowling outing for a reason with others involved might be easier to explain to a husband...

And, handicap for a "girl" is no different than a "boy". I would give you whatever was determined to be the handicapping system for the event. I bowl in one league that uses a 100% handicap, and one that is 90%. I don't see much difference. It usually just depends on who is on their game the most, and how many on a team is on at the same time.

I will think about posting more...good and bad. It's just been really, really busy - yet, things should slow down for the summer some.

Mike White
05-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Most people that post their scores only post them when they roll a near 700 series.

I guess I'll have to tell you that this week....

Tuesday I shot 258, 234, 227 for 719
Thursday I shot 208, 201, 213 for 622
Friday I shot 251, 225, 233 for 709

The 719 was a clean 30 series.

Aslan
05-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Hey, I NEVER said he hates you...he would never prejudge (he doesn't even know about you). Just not sure how we would react meeting you for the first time - when I say, "hey, let's go meet up with this guy that posts on the bowling forum I'm always reading". Yes, a bowling outing for a reason with others involved might be easier to explain to a husband…
Now, I'm no psychologist or anything…and I don't want to read to much into this…but I think classygranny has a crush on me. She's not worried the hubby wouldn't like it…she's worried she might not be able to control herself around me. #truth?

And, handicap for a "girl" is no different than a "boy". I would give you whatever was determined to be the handicapping system for the event. I bowl in one league that uses a 100% handicap, and one that is 90%. I don't see much difference. It usually just depends on who is on their game the most, and how many on a team is on at the same time.

Well thats far more rational than handicap debates with MWhite.

classygranny
05-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Now, I'm no psychologist or anything…and I don't want to read to much into this…but I think classygranny has a crush on me. She's not worried the hubby wouldn't like it…she's worried she might not be able to control herself around me. #truth?

Well thats far more rational than handicap debates with MWhite.

Man, how did you figure that out so quickly, when I haven't really been posting much of anything at all! LOL

I thought those debates were more about average calculations, not necessarily handicap.

Mike White
05-07-2015, 06:05 PM
I guess I'll have to tell you that this week....

Tuesday I shot 258, 234, 227 for 719
Thursday I shot 208, 201, 213 for 622
Friday I shot 251, 225, 233 for 709

The 719 was a clean 30 series.

Add to that 704 on Thursday.

Was clean thru the first 29, then the pinsetter broke, and we waited, and waited, when I finally got to throw the ball, my back had tightened up, and it sailed into the ditch.

Shot 246, and 244.

Had a possible 258 going into the 10th frame, but 0, then 8 dropped it to 214.

Tony
05-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Add to that 704 on Thursday.

Was clean thru the first 29, then the pinsetter broke, and we waited, and waited, when I finally got to throw the ball, my back had tightened up, and it sailed into the ditch.

Shot 246, and 244.

Had a possible 258 going into the 10th frame, but 0, then 8 dropped it to 214.

Nice shooting. too bad about the last game, lane problems are rarely fun.

classygranny
05-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Well today was the day for my lesson with Mark Baker.

What an eye opener! As many of you know I have worked with several coaches over the past few years. I sorta quit coaching as I felt we were hashing over the same old thing every time and I wasn't progressing the way I wanted to. Thus, the reason for wanting to work with Mark while on vacation.

What I had been told many times over....timing is off, slow your feet, start the ball earlier, etc. all boiled down to keep moving your feet and keeping my head up and back - in alignment with my knee.

Mark is an excellent instructor and explains things very well....also, seeing it on video makes a big difference as well. I would recommend anyone who gets the chance to expend the extra money to experience this level of coaching.

#GreatDayofBowling

vdubtx
05-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Congrats on the coaching session. Good to see that you see a benefit from it. Hoping it translates to some high scores for you. :)

jab5325
05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Well today was the day for my lesson with Mark Baker.

What an eye opener! As many of you know I have worked with several coaches over the past few years. I sorta quit coaching as I felt we were hashing over the same old thing every time and I wasn't progressing the way I wanted to. Thus, the reason for wanting to work with Mark while on vacation.

What I had been told many times over....timing is off, slow your feet, start the ball earlier, etc. all boiled down to keep moving your feet and keeping my head up and back - in alignment with my knee.

Mark is an excellent instructor and explains things very well....also, seeing it on video makes a big difference as well. I would recommend anyone who gets the chance to expend the extra money to experience this level of coaching.

#GreatDayofBowling

Sounds awesome!

I wish there was a coach willing to go into that amount of detail around me. Haven't found one yet.

Aslan
05-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Looking forward to getting a lesson from Mark later this year.

Amyers
05-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Mark just signed with 900 global

classygranny
05-23-2015, 09:40 PM
I think that will be a good move for Mark and 900 Global. I see where the October CampBakes will be 900 Global.

dnhoffman
05-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Glad to see people incorporating bowling into their summer travel!

classygranny
05-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Glad to see people incorporating bowling into their summer travel!

We don't normally, but my husband put a tonneau cover on the pickup so we could travel with more stuff. Couldn't resist the opportunity to spend an hour with Mark. Now I can't wait til I can get back on the lanes, but it will probably not be until Tues league.