PDA

View Full Version : Rubber bowling balls??

Monte
05-06-2015, 06:29 AM
What's up with rubber bowling balls? My local bowling facility has a sign that says "No rubber bowling balls".

I never really even knew that rubber bowling balls existed until I saw that sign. Of course, this bowling center was built in the 1980's, and maybe people used rubber bowling balls then. I'm guessing the people who own the facility now just never took the sign down.

I've never even seen a rubber bowling ball. Have any of you??

mc_runner
05-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Yep, rubber was what they all used to be made of... then came polyester, urethane, and finally reactive resin! There are still a few floating around here and there but definitely a relic now.

foreverincamo
05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
My first 300 was with a rubber LT-48, and that was in the 1980's.

bowl1820
05-06-2015, 10:39 AM
What's up with rubber bowling balls? My local bowling facility has a sign that says "No rubber bowling balls".

I never really even knew that rubber bowling balls existed until I saw that sign. Of course, this bowling center was built in the 1980's, and maybe people used rubber bowling balls then. I'm guessing the people who own the facility now just never took the sign down.

I've never even seen a rubber bowling ball. Have any of you??

The sign is there because the old rubber balls can leave black marks behind on the lane (Because the balls are old now) and there are issues they can cause with some types of ball return systems.

Sure I've seen rubber balls and if you've seen a old black ball you probably have too, you just didn't realize that's what it was.

J Anderson
05-09-2015, 02:52 PM
The sign is there because the old rubber balls can leave black marks behind on the lane (Because the balls are old now) and there are issues they can cause with some types of ball return systems.

Sure I've seen rubber balls and if you've seen a old black ball you probably have too, you just didn't realize that's what it was.

Rubber, an Ebonite Signature to be exact, was all I used up until 2008. The last 10 years that I threw it, it had more issues with getting stuck that other balls.

fortheloveofbowling
05-09-2015, 04:42 PM
I still use my dad's brunswick black diamond for my spare ball that he purchased in 1962. It goes nice and straight for sure. A lot of pro shops won't touch them with their equipment.

JoeInPI
05-12-2015, 12:58 AM
My first 300 was with a rubber LT-48, and that was in the 1980's.

Me too! But mine was in 1990. Bowled it at the now gone old home house of Aleta Sill, Satellite Bowl in Dearborn, MI... :)

got_a_300
05-14-2015, 01:37 AM
I think the first ball I ever bought was a Manhattan Rubber ball
then came the Yellow Dots (bleeders).