PDA

View Full Version : Scratch League Questions

jab5325
05-06-2015, 08:30 AM
What styles do you see in your scratch leagues?

What's the "average average" you see, and what are the lowest/highest averages you see?

I'm doing a scratch league in the fall, and am curious to see how much this has changed over the years.

RobLV1
05-06-2015, 12:51 PM
What styles do you see in your scratch leagues?

What's the "average average" you see, and what are the lowest/highest averages you see?

I'm doing a scratch league in the fall, and am curious to see how much this has changed over the years.

All styles are represented, including traditional, no thumb, and two handed. The league high average this year is somewhere between 235 and 240, and the low average is between 175 and 180. Teams are made up with an entering average cap of 865 for four bowlers. Low average bowlers bowl first, moving progressively to the high average bowler automatically in the anchor position. There are twenty points per week: one point per game and one for totals, scratch, for man to man competition, and one point per game and one total for team totals using a difference in team handicaps based on 80% of the league high average.

Aslan
05-06-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm considering a scratch league as well but am nervous that I don't have the skill level. I think the lowest average was 169 and that was a female bowler.

I can't answer the questions because the only scratch league I bowled in was a sport shot league so the averages were quite a bit lower across the board than you'd see in a THS league.

RobLV1
05-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm considering a scratch league as well but am nervous that I don't have the skill level. I think the lowest average was 169 and that was a female bowler.

I can't answer the questions because the only scratch league I bowled in was a sport shot league so the averages were quite a bit lower across the board than you'd see in a THS league.

Scratch leagues are so rare these days that most are desperate for bowlers. Unless they have a league minimum average (many don't), they will welcome you with open arms.

Aslan
05-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Scratch leagues are so rare these days that most are desperate for bowlers. Unless they have a league minimum average (many don't), they will welcome you with open arms.

Oh...I don't doubt that at all. The sport shot league I was in welcomed me with open arms. But with a 149 sport shot average...when the vacancy spot gets 160...I hurt the team every time I show up. That's one of the reasons I'm not in that league anymore. If they had a cap or a vacancy score = to the lowest average bowler...then it would make more sense and you'd get a lot more participation from average bowlers. But the way they had it set up...there were 1-2 teams with 3 guys averaging around 205 (sport shot) and they won every season.

Tony
05-07-2015, 12:21 PM
I don't bowl in a scratch league but a number of the league bowlers in my league are also scratch league bowlers and I can access the league stats
they are in the final week of the league and I was just looking at the stats. Of the guys I know in the league / about 1/2 or around 30 guys are almost all
traditional bowlers, I know of two that are no thumb bowlers and none that are 2 handed. The league average is pretty high with the top 10 or so in the 230 to 245 range.
I counted 6 bowlers with averages under 200 and 2 of them were subs. The under 200 regular bowlers were 196, 198,199 and a 186 averages.
15 of them have recorded a 300 in league play this season.
High avg is a 245 , the guy runs pro shop and has over 90 300 games.