PDA

View Full Version : 2009 USBC Convention in RENO,NV

onefrombills
01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Just wanted to see if anybody will be going this year ?

Heres the info: 2009 USBC Convention will be in Reno, Nevada April 29 - May 2, 2009

USBC Convention activities will take place at the Reno Events Center and the Silver Legacy in downtown Reno

jaws1945
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Don't you think it's kind of stupid and financially irresponsible that they do not run the convention in the same place as the tournament is run? As a dues paying member I believe that is correct to question this.

ThongPrincess
02-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Don't you think it's kind of stupid and financially irresponsible that they do not run the convention in the same place as the tournament is run? As a dues paying member I believe that is correct to question this.

Women's Nationals is in Reno this year, so one of the tournaments is in the same location as the Convention.

onefrombills
02-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Women's Nationals is in Reno this year, so one of the tournaments is in the same location as the Convention.

Yes Thong is right the woman are their this year and the men are in reno next year and this conventions is in the reno the next 2 years so yes it is in the same place as the National tourny

jaws1945
02-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I stand corrected. I must have been referencing pre-merger when that usually wasn't the case.

onefrombills
02-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Thats ok ...were here to help :)

Iceman
02-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Yeehaw, I got a spot on Team Event May 9th at 7:00 PM. One of the other guys can't make it, so I swooped it. I'll just pick up a doubles partner out there from the sub list. I would hate to go down there and just bowl 3 games, but I need to get the first time jitters out of me somehow, and there are 2 others going first timers, so no pressure to win team events. Bad thing about dbl/sgl. May 19th at Midnight. Ouch, what a draw. Oh what will I do Sunday day before I bowl in Vegas? hmmmmmmmmmm

Oh and BTW It's in Vegas (At the convention center) correct? I see people saying Reno, and even the website is confusing, but I'll just head to Vegas on the 8th and find my way around. Reno isn't that much a cab fair from Vegas. haha (There goes my gambling money)

ThongPrincess
02-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Yeehaw, I got a spot on Team Event May 9th at 7:00 PM. One of the other guys can't make it, so I swooped it. I'll just pick up a doubles partner out there from the sub list. I would hate to go down there and just bowl 3 games, but I need to get the first time jitters out of me somehow, and there are 2 others going first timers, so no pressure to win team events. Bad thing about dbl/sgl. May 19th at Midnight. Ouch, what a draw. Oh what will I do Sunday day before I bowl in Vegas? hmmmmmmmmmm

Oh and BTW It's in Vegas (At the convention center) correct? I see people saying Reno, and even the website is confusing, but I'll just head to Vegas on the 8th and find my way around. Reno isn't that much a cab fair from Vegas. haha (There goes my gambling money)

The USBC Open Nationals is in Las Vegas this year and then Reno the next 2 years.

The USBC National Convention and USBC Women's Nationals are in Reno this year.

Then just to really add to the confusion :p the USBC Youth Nationals and Junior Gold are in Indianapolis this year and I think next year also.

I am sure this is now all clear as mud ;) If you head to Vegas, you're in the right place unless you want to put on a skirt and ... never mind :)

Iceman
02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I am sure this is now all clear as mud ;) If you head to Vegas, you're in the right place unless you want to put on a skirt and ... never mind :)

As long as I keep my mouth shut until then, the Skirt will not be an option. My coach and I already went though the bet of the year (and I ended up wearing a skirt with a pink bengals jersey that said Owned on the back of it one of our league nights.

We do have fun. I put him in the Pink Jersey also a few weeks later, but the skirt was not in the bet that time. Go figure. :p

ThongPrincess
02-05-2009, 08:59 PM
As long as I keep my mouth shut until then, the Skirt will not be an option. My coach and I already went though the bet of the year (and I ended up wearing a skirt with a pink bengals jersey that said Owned on the back of it one of our league nights.

We do have fun. I put him in the Pink Jersey also a few weeks later, but the skirt was not in the bet that time. Go figure. :p

LOL you definitely have to come to The Gathering. We had one guy, Big Willy Style, come into the center in a leprechaun outfit then showed up to one of the dinners in an inflatable fat B____ costume. The look on Ron's face was priceless.

PSBA10
02-06-2009, 12:03 AM
The USBC Nationals are in the Cashman Center in Vegas not the Convention Center. I'll be there in 5 weeks.

A question for those going to the convention: I have it on good authority that one of the proposals this year is to require all State Associations to merge. What are your feelings on this subject?

Personally I am opposed to this proposal. The first time that ABC / WIBC brought up the USBC it was voted down because it required all associations to merge. They later came back with language stating mergers were optional and not mandatory. This time USBC passed. By requiring all State Associations to merge, logically they will in a year or so require all associations to merge. Don't let USBC have piecemeal what was defeated in the original proposal.

ThongPrincess
02-06-2009, 02:35 AM
I understand your concern, but we have already merged on both the State and Local level. I think we are 3 or 4 years merged at the state level and in our 2nd or 3rd year as a local. There were some growing pains, but from what I have seen it has all been relatively smooth.

How many states are not merged? I ask because if more are merged than not merged I would think it will pass.

I also think there were other bigger issues in the first merger proposal such as no say from the membership when it came to rules and sanction fees charged by Nationals. I was on our local Women's board at the time the merger was in the works. I remember discussions about how in theory it would be good, but that the initial proposal gave too much power to the National and they could make changes without any consultation with the members. The conventions would really mean nothing. We had advised our delegates to vote no the first time.

PSBA10
02-06-2009, 03:33 AM
I also was there before, at the birth of USBC, and after. In subsequent years the board has been given additional "powers" that do not require membership approval. Do you think that if the membership had any control over the Board's activity that the move to Arlington would have happened? At the convention it was stated that this was happening period, no discussion. Proposals have passed that were worded such that they could be intrepeted several ways. One of the ways was always in increasing the Board's independance. This new proposal would be the capstone in the board's autonimy. If we give them the ability to mandate mergers, where will it end???? Mergers were to be OPTIONAL.

Mergers work for some, and others they don't. In PA we have merged associations. Some have increased membership and are thriving, while others can not get enough people to fill even half of the board, and are losing membership because there is no local leadership.

I am a state officer. We have approached the state women's board in the past and were told, in so many words, leave us alone. In PA we have 2 great organizations. We want to remain that way. I know there are other states, and locals that feel the same way.