PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Thumb

JoeBeavis
05-12-2015, 10:33 AM
i imagine this subject has been brought up often in the past so I apologize if it's redundant.

I know not getting the thumb out is a rev killer. I've sent more balls intended to hook straight into the 6 10 area than I can count due to my thumb not coming out. My questions...

1. Do you actually pull your thumb out on release (pulling thumb toward the hand causing it to bend) or is the thumb removed my wrist movement?

2. Is there anything wrong with not inserting thumb all the way into the ball? Sometimes I find myself with it halfway in but then it seems I'm probably squeezing too hard with it.

Thanks for responses and putting up with my ignorance about all this.

Amyers
05-12-2015, 10:47 AM
1. No the ball should come off all on it's own. If it's not your either gripping, or have an incorrect span or pitches.

2. I have heard both ways on this some people think it's the kiss of death other's not so much. Personally I can't bowl that way and can't imagine why you would want too.

bobforsaken
05-12-2015, 11:29 AM
How does your thumb look? Do you have rubbing on one part or another that causes either a swelling or damage to the skin? If so, you definitely have a pitch/fit problem. I experienced this and was really held back for 8 months because I had to come around the ball to get my thumb to exit. (plus I had to keep it ridiculously loose and often dropped the ball on the approach)

If not and your fit is fine, have you tried using slide powder on your thumb before each shot? when its hot and my hands are getting sweaty I have to do this or I end up with my thumb not exiting cleanly.

Jessiewoodard57
05-19-2015, 03:51 PM
I was having the same issue. I could not get out of the ball went to a highly recommended PSO and found that all my balls where drilled wrong ( I had used the house PSO) the span and pitch where way of causing me to have to really hold tight to the ball and many times I actually dropped it ending in a channel shot. Since I had the balls slugged and re drilled they are sooo comfortable and the release is more fluid.