PDA

View Full Version : Old Guy Getting Back Into The Game (Ball Advice)

Mgower
05-12-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm an older bowler (52) and getting back into bowling after about a 15 year lay off. My son and I are bowling in a summer league together. I'm not a high speed, high rev bowler. Just a straight down and in kinda guy, if that makes any sense. Averaged 190-200 so I do know how bowl lol.

Now back in the day, bowlers didn't have an arsenal. One maybe, two balls tops. I dug my old Sumo out of storage and with it, a Galaxie plastic ball I used for spares. To tell you the truth, I am a bit lost in the dizzying amount of balls available in today's market. And baffled by the terminology, but am trying to learn.

Now here's my question. If you were my shoes, what balls would you be looking at for your arsenal? Just some basic ideas. Cheaper is better, I don't think I need I need top of the line equipment at this stage of my comeback.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

SRB57
05-12-2015, 09:41 PM
I just got back into it again after a 12 year layoff. There is so many different ball manufactures now it is hard to make a choice. What I did was chose one of the more popular ones Roto Grip in my case and chose balls within there line to match my game. Storm and Roto Grip are made in the same plant so lots of choices there. You will find the balls are a lot stronger and with mostly synthetic lanes the game is a lot different. Have fun with your comeback. Steve

LyalC52
05-12-2015, 09:59 PM
got back in the game this February
bowling my daughter

after some research I picked up a Storm HyRoad and went with a conservative drill
for me its been a great ball for getting my rhythm back, now I'm adding to the arsenal.

when i was bowling in the 90's most the scratch bowlers and ABT bowlers I knew, usually had 3 to 4 balls

mc_runner
05-12-2015, 10:26 PM
I'd echo the Hyroad. You're not a beginner, but getting back into the swing of things... Hyroad's a fantastic ball that's smooth and controllable and will help you get a feel for modern ball reaction. Once you identify a need for a stronger ball, weaker ball, etc - that's when the arsenal really takes off.

jab5325
05-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Welcome back into the game! Getting back into it after a long layoff was a great thing for me--made many new friends, and am having a fantastic time.

The weight most people use today is 15-pounds, which surprised me when I got back into this. I had a 16-pound Ebonite Xxcel, and dropped down to 15-pound when I started buying new equipment.

LyalC52
05-13-2015, 09:54 AM
IMO, the guys throwing 15 pound equipment seem to be more about the "show" and big revs than consistency.
The strokers and tweeners around here are still using 16 pound gear.

RobLV1
05-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Being very active in Vegas (thought by many to be the bowling capitol of the world these days), I can tell you that I can count on one hand the bowlers that I know who still use 16 lb equipment. Fifteen is easier to control, whatever your style, and shops always carry 15# balls in their inventory. Most 16# balls need to be special-ordered. As far as a ball recommendation, I would suggest that you stay away from polished surfaces as they are going to give you a look that is totally different than you are used to seeing. Look for something with a mid-range RG (2.51-2.55), a solid reactive cover, and a little bit of surface. My own recommendation would be the Solid Blue Ringer from Brunswick (in their affordable performance line).

LyalC52
05-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Clearly we run in different circles.
So we don't hijack this thread, would love to debate this topic with you in its won thread.

bubba809
05-13-2015, 10:52 AM
IMO, the guys throwing 15 pound equipment seem to be more about the "show" and big revs than consistency.
The strokers and tweeners around here are still using 16 pound gear.

So what the heck would you classify us guys that throw 14 Lb equipment??

fortheloveofbowling
05-13-2015, 10:58 AM

fortheloveofbowling
05-13-2015, 11:01 AM
So what the heck would you classify us guys that throw 14 Lb equipment??

Someone who is losing a hell of a lot of carry if you can throw heavier. If weight is a concern with your physical game then i would say you are a bowler.

bubba809
05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Someone who is losing a hell of a lot of carry if you can throw heavier. If weight is a concern with your physical game then i would say you are a bowler.

Actually my average came up considerably after I started using 14 Lb. weight.

fortheloveofbowling
05-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Actually my average came up considerably after I started using 14 Lb. weight.

I believe you and that can be the case in certain circumstances. 52 created a new thread for this topic.

fortheloveofbowling
05-13-2015, 11:29 AM
To get back on track, i would recommend first really putting a lot of thought in the weight you are going to use first of all. Bowling balls cost so much you don't want to be 2nd guessing that decision. In regards to ball selection i would talk to a pro shop operator and maybe do some research your self and find a couple medium aggressive balls. Maybe one polished and one with a little surface and a cheap spare ball. The spare ball will be a good investment.

Mgower
05-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My current balls are 16 pounds but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to 15. Seems like a lighter ball would be easier to throw.

Going to my local shop and ask about the Storm line up and others.

jab5325
05-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My current balls are 16 pounds but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go to 15. Seems like a lighter ball would be easier to throw.

Going to my local shop and ask about the Storm line up and others.

Definitely go into it with an open mind, and you'll come out happy.

Remember: Storm isn't paying you to throw their equipment. Until they do, rely on the PSO/other experts plus your own research to find what works for your game. I've seen countless people waste hundreds on balls because they look great, or are just too strong for their game.