PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with Storm

Amyers
05-13-2015, 03:58 PM
I know I'm going to get killed for this post but has anyone looked at Storm's lineup lately? It appears that we are really down to about 6 balls (excluding urethane and plastic). Everything is just some rebranded ball with an updated surface or change from a hybrid to a pearl or vise versus. I'm capable of changing the surface on my ball I really don't need you to sell me another ball that basically does the same thing a resurface would. There may be some difference between Pearl, Hybrid, and Solid cover stocks but personally feel most of it is surface. I know they are some new releases coming out but I just thought this is getting really absurd.

Premier Line- Crux and Crux Pearl

Master Line- 2 Optimus and 3 IQ Balls (at least one of the IQ series does have a different cover)

Thunder line- Basically consists of 1 ball the Hyroad/Rocket

Hot Line- Wipeout/Punchout and the Ride which is the Tropical Breeze with a slightly stronger core

Tropical Line- Hey its a bunch of balls in different colors.

So you could really say the entire line up consists of 6 balls pretty easily. 8 if you feel the different cover on the IQ and the different core in the Ride differentiate them. Just seems strange to me are they really that out of ideas?

LyalC52
05-13-2015, 04:19 PM
but they smell so wonderful

I've noticed the same thing too, lots of options for a few designs

NewToBowling
05-13-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm guessing this may be true with most/all manufacturers.

Roto Grip (same as Storm I guess), Motiv, Ebonite, Hammer, etc

If you look close enough most just change out cores or coverstocks and voila, new state of the art ball for 2015, 2016, 2017

RobLV1
05-13-2015, 08:20 PM
I think the real reason is that all ball manufacturers don't want us to know how fast modern balls die, so they introduce a new version of the same thing so we'll all go out and get the latest and the greatest so we won't notice our equipment dying a slow death on the closet floor.

NewToBowling
05-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Makes sense ^

fortheloveofbowling
05-14-2015, 04:05 AM
After bowl expo at the end of june you will see new equipment from everyone.

jab5325
05-14-2015, 09:45 AM
I didn't realize that Storm balls actually smelled....a lot....until my Rocket arrived.

The wife had no idea, and she asked why it smelled like an orange.

Is there a reason for this? How long does the smell last?

LyalC52
05-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Storm holds a patent on fragranced polyurethane. Hence the reason no other lines have the smells.
If you look at the specs for each, they list the fragrance.

The smell should last for many years.

NewToBowling
05-14-2015, 10:08 AM
One reason not to use them. I'm sensitive to smell

Tony
05-14-2015, 10:26 PM
The smell seems to diminish some but lasts for quite a while, I gave an old ball to a buddy and he says he can still smell it faintly, the ball is 8 years old. I wonder if he gets it resurfaced, will it restore the smell ! Another guy I bowled with for years has one that smells like grape and is still evident but not strong smelling after 5+ years.
The smell is not enough reason to buy a Storm ball and the last 2 have been a Roto-Grip and a Brunswick.

classygranny
05-14-2015, 11:18 PM
The smell does last a very long time; and if you do get it refinished it seems to revive the smell.

You should be next to someone's bag after they have left it in the car during the Phoenix summer, and they open their bag along with their shoe compartment. It usually smells like rotten fruit or something along those lines...(:<

Amyers
05-14-2015, 11:48 PM
I would never buy one just because of the smell but I guess I'm in the minority I think it's kind of cool and enjoy most of them. My Virtual Gravity doesn't have much scent though.

RobLV1
05-15-2015, 07:56 AM
When I moved into this house in 2007, I had shelves built into the office to house bowling balls to protect them from the summer heat in Vegas. One of the benefits for me when I switched from using Storm balls to Brunswick balls was that my office stopped smelling like a SuperMarket!

Aslan
05-15-2015, 06:21 PM
When I moved into this house in 2007, I had shelves built into the office to house bowling balls to protect them from the summer heat in Vegas. One of the benefits for me when I switched from using Storm balls to Brunswick balls was that my office stopped smelling like a SuperMarket!

Until they come out with an executive line of balls that all smell like rich mahogany...then you'll have to switch back!!