PDA

View Full Version : One of the smoothest forms and releases I have seen

NewToBowling
05-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Name is Matt McNiel

Lefty bowler I've seen on YouTube. Love he slow smooth approach. Talk about a relaxed approach. Would love to emulate his approach and release

jab5325
05-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Very, very odd approach--can't say I like the style at all. To me, Parker & Rhino are "better looking" throwers.

But then again....it gets no smoother than the master:

https://youtu.be/PztTVWgU75Y?t=23

NewToBowling
05-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Odd approach?

I think it's nice and smooth. But yes many of the pros have great approaches and form.

jab5325
05-18-2015, 10:05 AM
It appears in this video that he's taking a giant step right at some point during his approach--hence my "odd approach" comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1U7BIeBLk

vdubtx
05-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Matt McNiel is poised to make history this year. He is gunning for his 3rd All Events Eagle at the USBC Open Nationals. He is currently sitting in 1st place for all events.

Only 2 bowlers have won All Events twice, Matt of course is one of them.

2 years ago in Reno, I bowled on the same squad as him on the Bowlers Journal tournament. Really nice guy.

NewToBowling
05-18-2015, 11:07 AM
It appears in this video that he's taking a giant step right at some point during his approach--hence my "odd approach" comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1U7BIeBLk

Agree with you on big drift. But otherwise very clean and free swing

Amyers
05-18-2015, 11:57 AM
What he has already accomplished has him on a hall of fame level. It's a shame bowlers like this don't intend on moving on to the tour. Great article on him on the 11thframe.com blog.

NewToBowling
05-18-2015, 12:11 PM
From what I have heard (not much though) he is a very smart man and has "bigger" ambitions I guess.

And honestly, with the financial situation the PBA has now who really wants to go pro and tour full time. The winnings just isn't enough.

jab5325
05-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Agree with you on big drift. But otherwise very clean and free swing

Yep. And, I don't care if you throw it between the legs or overhanded......if you can bowl like he is right now and be just as consistent.......all is well!

NewToBowling
05-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Yep, trying to get to the point of less muscle. Problem is with that I get around 13mph and sometimes will use a lot of hand so ball will hook too much due to slow speed.

fortheloveofbowling
05-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Matt McNiel is poised to make history this year. He is gunning for his 3rd All Events Eagle at the USBC Open Nationals. He is currently sitting in 1st place for all events.

Only 2 bowlers have won All Events twice, Matt of course is one of them.

2 years ago in Reno, I bowled on the same squad as him on the Bowlers Journal tournament. Really nice guy.

Has a doubles eagle as well.

jab5325
05-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Yep, trying to get to the point of less muscle. Problem is with that I get around 13mph and sometimes will use a lot of hand so ball will hook too much due to slow speed.

I fight that all the time too.

Way back when, you needed to use a lot of muscle/hand to get the ball to turn. Now, that's not the case.

If I'm focused, deliberate with my approach and under control with my timing, all is well. If not, it's often because my timing is off and I start muscling the ball too much.