PDA

View Full Version : Does bowling ball brand really matter?

NewToBowling
05-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Take any brand and they have enough balls to cover all/most land conditions with very similar coverstocks, cores, and RG's compared to the competition.

Ball manufacturers would like to make you think they have the secret formula. But truth be told they share the same coverstock and core technology.

I get it why one wants to stick with a certain manufacturer due to loyalty or familiarity or financial reasons but performance wise they pretty much all equal out.

Truth?

jab5325
05-20-2015, 12:13 PM
The best ball is the one that fits your fingers and your own personal game. Whether it be from Storm, Brunswick or EBI....the brand doesn't matter. A well-drilled ball that fits your style is the best thing ever!

NewToBowling
05-20-2015, 12:18 PM
The best ball is the one that fits your fingers and your own personal game. Whether it be from Storm, Brunswick or EBI....the brand doesn't matter. A well-drilled ball that fits your style is the best thing ever!

Yes, with that understanding there is no reason one wouldn't succeed with Brunswick or Storm or Motiv or etc

Basically, would one ever utter the words "If only Motiv made a ball like the Storm <enter name here> I would average 15 pins higher"

jab5325
05-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Yes, with that understanding there is no reason one wouldn't succeed with Brunswick or Storm or Motiv or etc

Basically, would one ever utter the words "If only Motiv made a ball like the Storm <enter name here> I would average 15 pins higher"

IMO, I would say only someone who doesn't understand bowling balls would make a statement like that. I've heard similar things said many times......by people would rather buy a ball because it looks pretty.

fortheloveofbowling
05-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Take any brand and they have enough balls to cover all/most land conditions with very similar coverstocks, cores, and RG's compared to the competition.

Ball manufacturers would like to make you think they have the secret formula. But truth be told they share the same coverstock and core technology.

I get it why one wants to stick with a certain manufacturer due to loyalty or familiarity or financial reasons but performance wise they pretty much all equal out.

Truth?

False. They don't share core and coverstock technology. Even within say the storm family they have different core designers and different formulations of covers.

NewToBowling
05-20-2015, 12:46 PM
False. They don't share core and coverstock technology. Even within say the storm family they have different core designers and different formulations of covers.

I know they don't share but the technology is very similar. There isn't one company out there with ground breaking technology that no one else has. There are solid, hybrid, pearl etc coverstocks. Cores are pretty unique but at the end of the day comparative balls from different mfgs will roll pretty similar down the lane.

LyalC52
05-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Until someone pays me to throw their brand, I have zero brand loyalty

Now, do I think certain brands are better then others; absolutely
Do I have actual facts to back it it up: no

but when it comes to perception, you will most likely bowl better with equipment from a brand you like

Amyers
05-20-2015, 01:42 PM
I know they don't share but the technology is very similar. There isn't one company out there with ground breaking technology that no one else has. There are solid, hybrid, pearl etc coverstocks. Cores are pretty unique but at the end of the day comparative balls from different mfgs will roll pretty similar down the lane.

This depends on who you are talking about. There is no manufacturer who can turn a 180 bowler into a 195 bowler. In the upper levels of bowling those 230 and above or professionals I do believe there are certain individuals that don't match well with some brands products. no single manufacturer has the best ball for every shot shape/condition.

fortheloveofbowling
05-20-2015, 01:45 PM
This depends on who you are talking about. There is no manufacturer who can turn a 180 bowler into a 195 bowler. In the upper levels of bowling those 230 and above or professionals I do believe there are certain individuals that don't match well with some brands products. no single manufacturer has the best ball for every shot shape/condition.

Give this man a prize.

fortheloveofbowling
05-20-2015, 01:49 PM

False again. If a player can't throw the ball the same way twice then sure they won't see as many differences. But certain companies throughout the years have had reputations for creating balls that lean toward certain motions. These differences and more easily seen at higher levels. Of course those motions can be tweaked and refined depending a players wants and needs.

NewToBowling
05-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Good to know

RobLV1
05-20-2015, 02:43 PM
The biggest difference between different manufacturer's balls is the cover material. At the higher levels in terms of average and performance, bowlers definitely gravitate towards products from one manufacturer or another because of the way they play the lanes. At the ends of the spectrum are Storm which manufacturers balls that are very reactive to friction, and Brunswick which manufacturers balls that read the oil very well. Most refer to Storm balls as "skid-flippy" and Brunswick balls as "rolly." So, yes, it does make a difference what company manufactures the balls you use.

PauL757
05-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Overall I don't think that any one brand is better than another. There are some characteristics that differ between the brands, but I feel that now most brands are starting to close the gap on those differences. I feel even the smaller companies a just as good as the more well known ones.

Aslan
05-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I've noticed Storm balls tend to be more reactive OTB...but tend to die sooner and many people have said they had cracking issues with Storm balls after a shorter amount of time than other brands...which I also noticed. Rotogrip seems to off similar performance with less of the negatives.

Columbia, Ebonite, Track, 900Global don't seem to be lighting the world on fire in terms of product offerings. Brunswick and Hammer I think fall in the middle of those brands and Storm/Rotogrip. DV8 a little closer to a Storm ball...but still very "Brunswick". And Radical has gotten a lot of attention and has interesting technology and offerings...but they also have the reputation for being more random and hard to control consistently.

If there are balls that are "different"; it would be Motiv. They have a different coverstock and different ways they put graphics on the balls...more technologically "advanced". But also difficult balls to control with an inconsistent release.

My feeling is that the ball does matter...but nearly as much as most bowlers think. Storm/Rotogrip and Motiv seem to be winning the PR/advertising wars and it's not even close really. Ebonite International seems like a sailboat in a windless lake. They ride the Hammer name as much as they can...but losing Chris Barnes to 900Global kinda hurt Columbia which was already struggling to regain it's former glory. Brunswick thought it's saving grace would be DV8 and Radical...but Radical hasn't totally caught on yet. DV8 has a lot of brand loyalty out there...but Brunswick's sale of bowling related products and all that uncertainty has hurt them quite a bit. Innovation is out there...cores, coverstocks, etc... But you'll still go to most alleys and find people bowling 300-games with old Hammer VIBEs and stuff like that...so it's not the ball, it's the bowler.