PDA

View Full Version : Ball Manufacturers

jab5325
05-20-2015, 03:05 PM
I got into a discussion with a friend the other day who swore Columbia 300 made their own balls--he was shocked to learn that they were "related" to EBI.

I know that EBI makes Ebonite, Columbia, Hammer, and Track....and that Storm makes Storm and Roto-Grip.

Who makes the "other" brands these days? DV8, Motiv, etc?

RobLV1
05-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Storm now also manufacturers Global 900. Motiv does its own manufacturing - they used to make the cores for Brunswick, but decided to introduce their own brand when Brunswick moved their production to Mexico. DV8 is manufactred by Brunswick, as is Radical (under the direction of Mo Pinel).

NewToBowling
05-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Is DV8 a play on words of "deviate" or is it just a coincidence.

RobLV1
05-20-2015, 05:18 PM
What do you think?

NewToBowling
05-20-2015, 06:08 PM
What do you think?

Really?

Tony
05-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Is DV8 a play on words of "deviate" or is it just a coincidence.

Yes, I can't imagine it could be anything else.

vdubtx
05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
DV8, deviate or stray from an established course.

DV8 tries to be the "bad boys" of bowling. :rolleyes:

foreverincamo
05-20-2015, 11:01 PM
I own several DV8 balls. I like them. I own Brunswick equipment too. Like them just fine.

NewToBowling
05-21-2015, 04:42 PM
DV8 definitely aims at "hipper" or "edgier" crowd. Just look at their ads and naming convention of their balls: Hooligan, Thug

jab5325
05-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Out of curiosity, how are the product teams organized at the places which own multiple brands?

For example, EBI owns Hammer, Track, etc.

Does each brand have its own product team/engineers/etc? Or, is it more like a Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable--the same car with different details?

NewToBowling
05-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Not sure how much cohesion there is at EBI. As far as I know Track and Hammer were stand alone brands they purchased, not one they created from the ground up. But I could be wrong.

Amyers
05-21-2015, 10:31 PM
I know for sure hammer was a stand alone company and is still ran at least somewhat that way with separate ball designers and such as to the others I'm not sure I have never been a fan of Colombia,track, or ebonite

RobLV1
05-21-2015, 10:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that each Ebonite brand has it's own brand manager who is responsible for the line.

vdubtx
05-22-2015, 12:00 AM
I'm pretty sure that each Ebonite brand has it's own brand manager who is responsible for the line.

Or, used to. Think Ebi went through some downsizing recently. Ronald Hickland , for one, was let go within the last month or so. Believe he was instrumental with designs of cores etc.

jab5325
05-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Or, used to. Think Ebi went through some downsizing recently. Ronald Hickland , for one, was let go within the last month or so. Believe he was instrumental with designs of cores etc.

I don't have any "inside" information or "know" anyone at EBI, but I've heard much the same.

My PSO mentioned that EBI has been struggling lately. Back when I started to get back into bowling last October, I emailed EBI to see if they could recommend a ball that was similar to my old Ebonite Pantera, which wasn't listed anywhere on their website. I got a reply pretty promptly, and much to my surprise, the guy who responded said "we've been struggling in that area recently" and went on to say some other things--I was just surprised to hear such candor from someone directly associated with the company. I was happy with the honesty and recommendations.....but I was expecting a more "markety" response.

Aslan
05-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Really?

Don't feel bad. I didn't really draw the connection either until you mentioned it. :o