PDA

View Full Version : Contest June 22, 2015 to June 28, 2015 - Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro

BowlingBoards.com
06-23-2015, 04:10 PM
We are giving away a Brunswick Vintage Gold Rhino Pro for a random poster from June 22, 2015 through June 28, 2015.

== General Giveaway Rules

Every post made on BowlingBoards during the dates listed above will be considered an entry. Drawing will be done the first business day following the contest period. Winner will be contacted via email and through BowlingBoards.com.

BowlingBoards is a moderated site and reserves the right to delete any post deemed illegitimate, automatic, or just plain off topic.

The goal of BowlingBoards is to bring more people into our community. Participate in the conversations happening here. And while you are at it, you will be earning entries into our drawing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE! -- We reserve the right to redraw a winner if the winning post is not of quality content. Quality content is at the sole discretion of the BowlingBoards.com administrators. This means that one word posts will not qualify. Repeating what someone else has said does not qualify.

Just participate in the conversation instead of "trying to win" a drawing. The more you participate, the better your chances.

Tony
06-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Nice looking ball ! I love the look of it, hope they make a green rhino some day !

Blomer
06-23-2015, 06:28 PM
A guy in our fall league bowled a 300 with an original he had. Maybe I'll get me a 300? Probably not but would give it a hot! HOOK ME UP!

foreverincamo
06-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Absolutely gorgeous ball. I hope they release more of the old Rhino line. So many colors to choose from

atravis149
06-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Another absolutely gorgeous bowling ball!

Tony
06-23-2015, 10:09 PM
A guy in our fall league bowled a 300 with an original he had. Maybe I'll get me a 300? Probably not but would give it a hot! HOOK ME UP!
I have one and rolled my high game to date with it, a 289 practice game !

John Anderson
06-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Nice looking ball ! I love the look of it, hope they make a green rhino some day !

There was a Rhino Pro Forest Green from 1992. Maybe they will release it again as a vintage model?

Amyers
06-24-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure where this ball would go in my bag but I would make room for it.

ChuckR
06-24-2015, 10:21 AM
If I won this I would have to remove my Columbia WD and hope the lanes in Las Vegas never get dry. We now run less than 5% humidity.

Aslan
06-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I know nothing about it other than it's a Brunswick and Parker Bohn III threw it early on in the PBA50 season with amazing success....that's enough for me to want to give it a try.

LyalC52
06-24-2015, 03:43 PM
There was a Rhino Pro Forest Green from 1992. Maybe they will release it again as a vintage model?

I think the Rhino Pro Teal was their most successful ball in that line.
Would be cool to see a sup-ed up version of that one

foreverincamo
06-25-2015, 02:38 PM
The teal would be cool, especially with a solid coverstock and not another pearlized ball. Or the Forest Green

LyalC52
06-25-2015, 03:20 PM
The teal would be cool, especially with a solid coverstock and not another pearlized ball. Or the Forest Green

http://www.bowlingballvault.com/companies/3-brunswick/586-rhino-pro-forest-green

that was a urethane ball

dougb
06-27-2015, 12:15 AM
I have one and rolled my high game to date with it, a 289 practice game !

I rolled my second highest game -- also a 289 -- with the ORIGINAL Gold Rhino Pro. I am dropping down to 14s and just sold it today, along with it's sister the Teal Rhino Pro. I'm going back-and-forth between this ball and the Melee Jab. I am leaning toward the Gold for two reasons. First, I have the LT-48 and that ball is incredible. The same core with beefed up specs and a stronger cover must be a winner. Second, the sentimental value can't be beat.

Of course, if I win the contest than that settles it :D

Thanks bowlingboards.com for posting this on Brunswick's FB page. I dropped off bowling web sites for awhile and forgot about this site, although I've been a member since it started I think. This contest brought me back!

foreverincamo
06-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Anyone seen anything new at Bowl Expo from Brunswick and DV8? Was hoping for some new releases. Like more Rhinos

epiepenburg
06-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Anyone seen anything new at Bowl Expo from Brunswick and DV8? Was hoping for some new releases. Like more Rhinos

Dv8 has 3 new balls coming out on the 7th, another Thug, another Holligan, and their newest model the Vandal (new core design)

foreverincamo
06-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks, epiepenburg. I still have 3 DV8's waiting to get drilled.
My PSO had rotator cuff surgery and closed his shop until September. Was looking forward to getting some games in with those balls over the summer.

dougb
06-28-2015, 10:11 AM

I don't think they will come out with the next ball in the Vintage series until next year.

jojoboys
06-28-2015, 10:46 PM
i so need/want it!!

NewToBowling
06-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Aslan wins again

foreverincamo
06-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Aslan is the winner! Congrats on the new ball!

John Anderson
06-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Congrats Aslan. Anybody know why there is such a delay posting the next contest on here but it's always on the facebook page first? Storm Skyrocket for the next week.

dougb
06-29-2015, 09:46 PM
I posted on this thread earlier today but something must've happened. In any case, congratulations to the winner and thanks to the site for the giveaway. I waited to see the results first and when I didn't win I ordered a Gold Rhino for myself!

Tony
06-30-2015, 01:43 AM
Aslan wins again
congrats on the new ball !

Amyers
06-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Congrats Aslan let's just hope he decides to use this ball and not make it part of arsenal #23 slated for use in 2043. :rolleyes:

dougb
06-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Aslan wins again how many times has he won? There is a guy on another bowling web site that's won I think 5-6 in the last year, although from a variety of places.

Amyers
06-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Not as many as you would think with as much as he posts. I think this is his second or at most his 3rd from this site.

Aslan
07-02-2015, 12:25 PM
WHAT!!??

Wow. Thanks Bowlingball.com. You made my 4th of July weekend!!

And for all the ball giveaway folks...like some of the other "regulars" (including the mighty Bowl1820 who makes the site "go")....I win a LOT less than you might think given my post count. Until Iceman returns from his 7-year prison sentence for "lewd acts" (rumor #4 I'm starting concerning his absence...)...I post by FAR more often than anyone else. I've tried to cut back a bit just because I'm busy. And also I've tried to cut back for 2 reasons:

1) I'm far too horrible a bowler to give so much advice and have so many opinions. It would be better for everyone involved if I kinda listened from guys like Rob, and Mike, Bowl1820, Chuck, FTLOB, and VDub (among others) than for me to spew my many theories.
2) I don't want to dominate the site. I think it's a turn off, especially to the significant minority that tends to lean towards despising my existence, when EVERY new post has "Aslan" as the last person to comment. As I've been told by many people..."Aslan is better taken in short, spaced out bursts." A little "Aslan" goes a LONG way!!

In over 4200 posts, this is the SECOND ball I've won. So, do the math. If you've posted 200 times and won once...you're 10.5 times as lucky as I've been. And I think it's the same for Bowl1820 and others. Iceman is the only one to reach 5000 posts and I think he only won 2-3 balls. I think Bowl1820 has the 3rd highest post total and has won 2-3 balls total.

But this is great. I've been very intrigued by this ball after watching Parker throw it in the first 2 PBA50 events. It doesn't seem like a very strong ball...but for Parker's slightly higher speed and straighter game...it played very well. Not to mention, I'm a Brunswick fan!!

Now I just got to see where it fits in as far as 15# vs 16#...which arsenal (#2, #3, #4, or future...), etc...

Thanks again BB.com!!

Aslan
07-02-2015, 04:43 PM
It's been so long since I won...I forgot what I'm supposed to do. I think I wait for a message from the site administrator. ???

dougb
07-02-2015, 05:14 PM
WHAT!!??

Wow. Thanks Bowlingball.com. You made my 4th of July weekend!!

And for all the ball giveaway folks...like some of the other "regulars" (including the mighty Bowl1820 who makes the site "go")....I win a LOT less than you might think given my post count. Until Iceman returns from his 7-year prison sentence for "lewd acts" (rumor #4 I'm starting concerning his absence...)...I post by FAR more often than anyone else. I've tried to cut back a bit just because I'm busy. And also I've tried to cut back for 2 reasons:

1) I'm far too horrible a bowler to give so much advice and have so many opinions. It would be better for everyone involved if I kinda listened from guys like Rob, and Mike, Bowl1820, Chuck, FTLOB, and VDub (among others) than for me to spew my many theories.
2) I don't want to dominate the site. I think it's a turn off, especially to the significant minority that tends to lean towards despising my existence, when EVERY new post has "Aslan" as the last person to comment. As I've been told by many people..."Aslan is better taken in short, spaced out bursts." A little "Aslan" goes a LONG way!!

In over 4200 posts, this is the SECOND ball I've won. So, do the math. If you've posted 200 times and won once...you're 10.5 times as lucky as I've been. And I think it's the same for Bowl1820 and others. Iceman is the only one to reach 5000 posts and I think he only won 2-3 balls. I think Bowl1820 has the 3rd highest post total and has won 2-3 balls total.

But this is great. I've been very intrigued by this ball after watching Parker throw it in the first 2 PBA50 events. It doesn't seem like a very strong ball...but for Parker's slightly higher speed and straighter game...it played very well. Not to mention, I'm a Brunswick fan!!

Now I just got to see where it fits in as far as 15# vs 16#...which arsenal (#2, #3, #4, or future...), etc...

Thanks again BB.com!!

I hope I didn't come across like I was begrudging you the win! I was just curious how many times you've won. There is a guy on another board I frequent that has probably won 5-6 balls in the last year.

I won once and consider myself lucky to have won. It was a random drawing.

Enjoy the Gold Rhino Pro! I had an original and now I'm getting one of the vintage series ones. If it is anything like the vintage Lt-48, which uses the same core, then we are both in for a treat!

Mike White
07-02-2015, 05:18 PM
It's been so long since I won...I forgot what I'm supposed to do. I think I wait for a message from the site administrator. ???

I'm still waiting for a message on how to receive the $25 gift certificate that you said Bowlingball.com would provide.

Aslan
07-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm still waiting for a message on how to receive the $25 gift certificate that you said Bowlingball.com would provide.

That makes me sad. The site definitely did say they'd give the gift certificate to the VBT winner and you WERE the winner...and the site was notified. Hmm.

Amyers
07-02-2015, 09:24 PM
I hope I didn't come across like I was begrudging you the win! I was just curious how many times you've won. There is a guy on another board I frequent that has probably won 5-6 balls in the last year.

I won once and consider myself lucky to have won. It was a random drawing.

Enjoy the Gold Rhino Pro! I had an original and now I'm getting one of the vintage series ones. If it is anything like the vintage Lt-48, which uses the same core, then we are both in for a treat!

Yeah lt-48 core with the cover off the Fortera Exile. Sounds interesting to me I may end up actually buying one.

dougb
07-02-2015, 11:28 PM
That makes me sad. The site definitely did say they'd give the gift certificate to the VBT winner and you WERE the winner...and the site was notified. Hmm.

Winner combo. From what I heard a little stronger on the backend than the LT-48 (2-4 boards), more recovery, but very clean through the fronts like the LT-48. I can't wait to drill mine up!

Aslan
07-03-2015, 01:53 PM
IF I actully won it, I think I'd put it as #3 in the following arsenal progression:

Brunswick Aura Mystic, 900Global TheNuts, Gold Rhino Pro, Brunswick Fortera Exile

"TheNuts" is the real wild card given it's kinda a weird ball in terms of specs…a very high RG with a solid cover….but I think the 3 Brunswick balls would compliment each other quite well.

Amyers
07-04-2015, 01:46 AM
IF I actully won it, I think I'd put it as #3 in the following arsenal progression:

Brunswick Aura Mystic, 900Global TheNuts, Gold Rhino Pro, Brunswick Fortera Exile

"TheNuts" is the real wild card given it's kinda a weird ball in terms of specs…a very high RG with a solid cover….but I think the 3 Brunswick balls would compliment each other quite well.

Wow three skid flip balls and a go long solid. That's a weird arsenal my friend. The exile and aurora mystic are closer than you think the exile will be longer but they are both skid flip pieces. The gold rhino will be less agressive than the other two but still long and a sharp turn. I've never seen "the nuts" and from the numbers I couldn't even guess what it's going to be like. You need some help selecting out your next arsenal you've got some unusual pieces and I'm just not sure how you should put it together but I do not think what your talking about there would be good.

Not trying to rain on your parade and maybe they work better together than I think but I would seriously get some very qualified advice before drilling that set of balls up.

Aslan
07-06-2015, 03:10 PM
First, it doesn't matter that much since I've yet to get an e-mail or PM from the site saying I've won it. I'm assuming the site administrator is probably still on vacation or something. Or maybe he's waiting for me to drill and get a picture with the last one (SOON!! THIS MONTH!!!) before sending me this one.

In contrast to your concerns, I'm actually VERY excited about "Arsenal #4"...so much so I've been tempted to bump it up to #3 or #2. Unlike my current arsenal and #2/#3...the one I described would have 3 very modern pieces with "The Nuts" thrown in as the wild card. Granted, by the time I use it...it might be considered "old technology"...but if the ball companies are going to release a new line-up twice a year...claiming it's WAAAY better than their old stuff (without any real tangible evidence to support those claims)...a person can't really be on the cutting edge of the equipment. I'd be like that guy that has to have the new iphone the day it comes out and then a year later has to have the newest one again. Meanwhile...they're paying $1200 to essentially beta test a phone for Apple. All the people with 1-2 year old iphones meanwhile...paid $100-$200 for a phone where all the bugs have been fixed and it works just fine.

After seeing how fast balls are replaced and seeing how the new balls are essentially just old cores and covers that are re-combined to make a "new ball"...I guess I've just lost faith in the bowling ball companies to truly be honest players. With the exception of a few new releases (Mastermind, Deadly Aim, 'maybe' the Crux...) I've seen very few new releases that outperform older reactive resin balls. And even though I'm a Brunswick guy and love the stuff that has come out of their system the past couple years...the Melee series, the Mastermind series, the paranormal series, and the Fortera series for example...I'm equally frustrated with them because there was no need to retire the original Mastermind, no real need for the Intellect, and no real need for the new Einstein as far as I can tell. It just seems like they are releasing balls for the sake of releasing balls. And that's fine...release 50 per year if ya want...knock yourself out...but they CAN'T say that each release is a technological advancement...not at the pace they're releasing stuff.

Take the Rhino Pro (vintage gold) for example. It's a combination of the LT-48 and Fortera. It's not a 'new' ball...it's a re-hash of previously released balls. And they stamp "Johnny Petraglia" on it or "Rhino Pro" and hope that bowlers will flock to it (Hammer did the same thing with the Black Widow name) because they remember it from the "old days". Now...does that mean I'm not interested in the Rhino Pro? Of course not. Like I said, I watched Parker tear up the first 2 PBA50 events with that ball and it looked like a great ball for medium-low oil or for medium to short patterns.

The bottom line is it has a PerfectScale score of like 170.8. That means it's OVERALL hook potential is similar to the Storm Ride or Storm Hy Road. Both rather mid-upper performance balls. All 3 have symmetric cores. The other two balls are hybrids...yet have very high RGs compared to the Rhino Pro which is a pearl but has a very low RG (2.52). So, I really, honestly don't think this ball will be as "skid/flip" as the Fortera Exile. It's RG is just too low and it doesn't have an assymetric core. And that gets into the "old Optimus argument/discussion" of whether you can call a symmetric core bowling ball "skid/flip". I say, "no"...to truly be a "long/snap" or "skid/flip" or whatever you want to call it...it must have a high RG (to go long)...and it 'should' have an assymetric core (to flip or snap)...and it would be nice if it has a Pearl cover (to aid in going long and to keep from entering the hook and roll phases too soon).

So...all that non-Mudpuppy Cliff note babble aside...which is really only stated to annoy those that hate hearing about bowling ball specs...the Rhino Pro looks like it will serve a purpose similar to what I am planning for my Rotogrip Asylum (ironically the ball I won in the last giveaway over a year ago). I think the Rhino Pro would be a good option for broken down patterns, shorter patterns, drier patterns...not the first ball or even 2nd ball out of the bag in most cases. I don't think it'll have as much overall hook as the Asylum...but I think it'll be more angular. The only trouble I have with it is the RG. 2.52 is very low. That makes me worried that on mid-drier patterns, the ball may want to enter the hook phase too soon. That could be problematic for what I have intended for it. Because I don't think it has the overall movement to be used on fresh patterns...but on burnt up patterns it may try to "snap" too soon...roll out too soon, etc...

But...part of the equation is specs...part of the equation is drilling...and part of the equation is observation. I learned that with the Bullet Train. It was supposed to replace the Frantic as a 3rd ball in my progression...it ended up being the 1st ball out of the bag...it's S79 cover was just too strong so it was hooking way sooner than I thought it would and was useless on burnt up or dry patterns. But I couldn't "know" that for certain until I actually threw it. The Gold Rhino may end up with a similar fate...but I doubt it given it's PerfectScale rating. Like I've said before...as simplistic as the PerfectScale is...and it definitely doesn't tell the whole story...I've found in practice...it is probably the best measure available for accurately predicting how much a ball will hook. I haven't seen many balls with a low PerfectScale rating that end up being the first out of the bag in heavy/fresh conditions...not without an MWhite type of rev rate.

The other key to success in arsenal selection is drilling. I consider drilling to be a very minor part of what a ball will do...based on my own testing. BUT...the advantage of switching arsenals all at once is I can have them drilled in a way where there is as much difference from #1 to #2 to #3 to #4...that even if the ball specs are close...you can get some separation. When you add a ball piece mail...then another...then another...it's harder to do that.

Aslan
07-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Bowl1820-

Let Bowlingboards know I got their message about the ball and tried to reply but their mailbox is full.

Who knew the site administrator has a message limit as well?

bowl1820
07-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Bowl1820-

Let Bowlingboards know I got their message about the ball and tried to reply but their mailbox is full.

Who knew the site administrator has a message limit as well?

I sent them a message, I also tried their pm and it didn't say it was full. So maybe they cleared it already, so you might try it again.

Aslan
07-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I sent them a message, I also tried their pm and it didn't say it was full. So maybe they cleared it already, so you might try it again.

Am I responding to the right spot??? I keep getting this:

Errors

The following errors occurred with your submission
BowlingBoards.com has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Mike White
07-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Am I responding to the right spot??? I keep getting this:

Errors

The following errors occurred with your submission
BowlingBoards.com has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

They have Caller ID :)

Aslan
07-06-2015, 07:10 PM
They have Caller ID :)

I was going to say that....something to the effect that apparently Bowl1820 has a red phone on his desk, like Commishioner Gordon...so sure he can get through. But a schlub like me...not so much.

But I can't fault them. It has happened to everyone on here. I've tried to send PMs to Rob or Iceman and others in the past...and I've had random people tell me my mailbox is full...and I didn't even know it. It's not a huge limit on stored messages...very easy to reach.

Or they have caller id. :mad: :confused:

bowl1820
07-06-2015, 07:25 PM
I tried it again I don't get that error. So just have to wait and see.

dougb
07-06-2015, 10:15 PM
I just won the Sky Rocket (!!!) and had the same issue with their inbox being full.

Amyers
07-06-2015, 11:41 PM
I was right about you bullet train before you drilled it and I'll be right about this too. Three skid flip balls and believe me that rhino pro qualifies as skid flip asymmetrical or not, and a long solid do not make an arsenal. I never commented on the age of these balls all of these are relatively recent releases. Trying to compare an asylum and the rhino gold pro as similar is about like saying a doughnut and a pancake are similar because both are made from flour and fried.

Aslan
07-07-2015, 01:37 AM
1) Eventually I'll be so good that the ball won't matter.
2) A pancake is quite similar to a doughnut.
3) The Asylum was released on 1-7-2014. The Lt-48 was released on 2-6-2014. The Exile was released on 6-26-2014. The Rhino Pro Gold is a combination of a cover stock developed 6 months after the cover on the Asylum…and a core developed < 1 month after the Asylum core. So unless the first 6 months of 2014 were a time that will be recorded throughtout the halls of history as the single greatest golden age of bowling ball technological development….they are both round…and they both tend to roll.

Amyers
07-07-2015, 09:51 AM
1) Eventually I'll be so good that the ball won't matter.
2) A pancake is quite similar to a doughnut.
3) The Asylum was released on 1-7-2014. The Lt-48 was released on 2-6-2014. The Exile was released on 6-26-2014. The Rhino Pro Gold is a combination of a cover stock developed 6 months after the cover on the Asylum…and a core developed < 1 month after the Asylum core. So unless the first 6 months of 2014 were a time that will be recorded throughtout the halls of history as the single greatest golden age of bowling ball technological development….they are both round…and they both tend to roll.

I have a friend I bowl with he can throw one handed, thumbless, two handed, bowls against people just picking up the first house ball that fits his fingers all the time. He was practicing at another house and I ran into him bowling with balls that were drilled for him. I asked him what was up with that and he said he was going to be bowling in a big tournament in two weeks and was getting prepared. When you care about the outcome you make sure you have the right equipment regardless of how talented you are.

What is your obsession over the dates that balls are released? and what can that possibly have to do with their performance? (unless significantly dated). I'm really not sure what you are getting at here the dates a ball was released have nothing to do with what the ball is designed to do.

The Asylum is a ball rated to handle medium to heavy oil (will handle heavy oil with a surface change) This ball is designed to clear the heads get some traction in the midlane and then make a aggressive but not flip move to the pocket. I own this ball I'm pretty sure I know it's performance profile.

The Gold Rhino Pro is a ball rated to handle medium to medium/light oil. (not really a fan of sanding pearls so major surface change is out for me). This ball is designed to clear the fronts and most of the mids and make a flip to the pocket. This ball is finished with a Ruff Buff so it will pickup a little sooner than the Fortera also a little lower rg. I looked at this ball heavily because I considered buying I really liked the look and the idea of the Fortera cover without the asymmetric core intrigued me but from what I found the ball is extremely condition specific (requires a dry area to work but to much dry and it's uncontrollable) and I decided I liked the performance of the Hysteria better. I've seen this ball rolled by at least five different bowlers in two different houses got a pretty good read on it.

I'm not telling you I don't like these balls I would be happy to put any one of them in my bag. I have been somewhat a fan of all three of them and that's saying something as I'm not really a Brunswick guy but the operative word her is one. All of these ball the Aurora, Fortera, and to some extent the Gold Rhino are the same thing. I might consider keeping both either the Fortera/Aurora and the Gold Rhino as a step down for me as I need equipment to help me get length but in your case you tend to be speed dominate lower revs your equipment should be more biased towards earlier rolling with a little more surface I really don't see you needing a ton more length. Even for me I would never consider having all three of those balls in the same bag.

Do what you want. I'm not saying take my advice without reservation. All I'm advising is get some more advice from someone you trust if you don't want to listen to what I'm telling you but what I'm telling you is reasonable.

Pancake and dougnuts are not similar

Aslan
07-07-2015, 06:07 PM
What is your obsession over the dates that balls are released? and what can that possibly have to do with their performance? (unless significantly dated). I'm really not sure what you are getting at here the dates a ball was released have nothing to do with what the ball is designed to do.
There is an "opinion" among many in the bowling world that equipment matters. Furthermore, that equipment is upgraded and improved constantly...SO MUCH so that if you have a ball from 2012 or 2013...just 2-3 years old...you are essentially bowling with a wooden bowling ball. I personally disagree, respectfully, with that position because as I pointed out in my lengthy date breakdown...the Asylum has been retired...if I bought one today (which I won't...but I WILL be drilling one next week!!! Ball winner photo coming soon!!!)...people would claim it's outdated technology. Yet...how can that be...when it was released just before the LT-48...and now the LT-48 core is in the Vintage Gold Rhino??? If the answer is because of the amazing new cover...that's over a year old. So is the cutoff for "obsolete" 6 months? How much innovation and technological achievement can be reached in 6 months?

The Asylum is a ball rated to handle medium to heavy oil (will handle heavy oil with a surface change) This ball is designed to clear the heads get some traction in the midlane and then make a aggressive but not flip move to the pocket. I own this ball I'm pretty sure I know it's performance profile.
Agree to disagree, but I hope you're right. My next arsenal (drilled next week) will feature the Asylum. I have it slated as a low-medium oil option for drier, shorter conditions and when the lane has broken down significantly. But, if you're right...maybe it's aggressive enough to be a #2 or even a #1 ball out of the bag on medium or heavy conditions. I just haven't been that impressed with Rotogrip's HP3 and HP2 lines. Their HP4 line with the Hyper Cells...amazing performance. I've seen many bowlers dominate with the Hyper Cell. But most of the lesser stuff...disappointing. I think the Asylum got some great "hype" when that kid rolled a 900-series with it over in Norco or wherever that was. But other than him...I haven't seen many of those on the lanes. But...I'll be joining you soon...throwing it first hand...so I hope you're right!

(not really a fan of sanding pearls so major surface change is out for me).
Agreed. I experimented surfacing my Encounter and not surfacing the other one...and honestly, the OOB/polished one works way better. I think when you sand a pearl...you kinda mess up what it was designed to do. But, that's another huge topic I started elsewhere...and I still don't understand surface changes and pros/cons. It almost seems like sticking with the OOB finish is better and just having maybe a little larger arsenal to work with. IDK

but in your case you tend to be speed dominate lower revs your equipment should be more biased towards earlier rolling with a little more surface I really don't see you needing a ton more length.
1) That's what she said.
2) My main interest in the Rhino Pro, admittingly, was watching Parker Bohn throw it earlier in the PBA50 season. I had the wonderful opportunity to bowl with Parker at the Pro Am last month...one of my life's highlights for certain...and after talking with him and getting some insight...Parker's game is very speed dominant. He plays that outside line and (especially on the senior tour) is able to use his accuracy, consistency, and speed to generate great carry. Add to that, he's a lefty and is less affected by what most other bowlers are doing...and it's kind've a unique situation. But he does tend to play more outside...and it seemed like the Vintage Rhino was a perfect ball for that. It didn't burn up too fast out there...but had the backend movement to accommodate the speed. And I "think" that could be a very useful ball for me. I don't have NEAR Parker Bohn level skills...no doubt...but seeing him throw it outside, with speed, and not a ton of revs...I thought that made it an intriguing piece for me.

Do what you want. I'm not saying take my advice without reservation. All I'm advising is get some more advice from someone you trust if you don't want to listen to what I'm telling you but what I'm telling you is reasonable.
It's all good. We're just talking. I enjoy your insight. And I'm sure...well, I never should say 'sure' regarding this topic...but I'm 'fairly' sure that both Rob and MikeW would agree that I play devil's advocate with them just like I do with you...and they know a ton of bowling stuff...way more than I do. This site would be WAY boring if all we did was congratulate each other and agree on everything. This aint 2013....we got no Iceman to have imaginary conversations with himself...we gots to do what we can to keep things fresh.

Pancake and dougnuts are not similar
That's it. I'm starting a poll.

Amyers
07-08-2015, 12:24 AM
I agree with you to some extent on the age thing a great ball is still a great ball 2 or 3 years later. The only problem is a ball that sucked 2 years ago still sucks today. Heck look at the hyroad still a great ball. My personal belief truly great balls come along every 3-5 years, good balls there is usually a really good ball in most manufactures line up every year, most balls are average, and everybody produces a stinker now and then.

I like the vintage rhino i've just seen mixed results with it. You'll like the asylum it's versatile you can leave it OOB and it's great as a starting ball up to medium heavy it's not a hyper cell but it's a nice step down from it. I haven't really ever understood the need for that heavy of oil ball. I've thrown the asylum at 2k on 47ft heavy patterns and I don't think I would want much stronger. I've never tried polish on it so can't tell you about that. We had five guys who used it on my Friday league. The only real nock on it was it tends to be strong off the spot but doesn't like to be thrown right to left. It's best if you can play it in some oil but not bellie it out a lot.

Good luck with the new arsenal be interesting to see how it works out for you

Tony
07-10-2015, 01:31 AM
The Gold Rhino Pro is a ball rated to handle medium to medium/light oil. (not really a fan of sanding pearls so major surface change is out for me). This ball is designed to clear the fronts and most of the mids and make a flip to the pocket. This ball is finished with a Ruff Buff so it will pickup a little sooner than the Fortera also a little lower rg. I looked at this ball heavily because I considered buying I really liked the look and the idea of the Fortera cover without the asymmetric core intrigued me but from what I found the ball is extremely condition specific (requires a dry area to work but to much dry and it's uncontrollable) and I decided I liked the performance of the Hysteria better. I've seen this ball rolled by at least five different bowlers in two different houses got a pretty good read on it.

I have to say that having a Gold Rhino Pro Vintage for the last several months that your assessment is very close to my experience with the ball. I had some fantastic nights but also had times where the wheels fell off and I absolutely lost the handle and could not find a way to hit the pocket with power. After using this and the Hyper Cell Skid I have discovered that I am not a fan of the skid/flip type of ball.

Amyers
07-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I have to say that having a Gold Rhino Pro Vintage for the last several months that your assessment is very close to my experience with the ball. I had some fantastic nights but also had times where the wheels fell off and I absolutely lost the handle and could not find a way to hit the pocket with power. After using this and the Hyper Cell Skid I have discovered that I am not a fan of the skid/flip type of ball.

Skid/Flip has it's place when the lanes set up correctly it can lead to you having the night of your life, when they don't it can leave you like a puddle of warm Jello on the floor. The trick to it is having both in your arsenal and know which night it is quickly. Easier said then done obviously.

Tony
07-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Skid/Flip has it's place when the lanes set up correctly it can lead to you having the night of your life, when they don't it can leave you like a puddle of warm Jello on the floor. The trick to it is having both in your arsenal and know which night it is quickly. Easier said then done obviously.

I was able to see some great games thrown with the hyper cell skid, several high average bowlers in my league have them and one night 2 guys on the same team both using H C Skids threw 300 games on the next pair of lanes, both of the guys have a lot of speed and rotation and used the skid / flip perfectly.