PDA

View Full Version : Added benefit of bowling as a hobby/sport...

NewToBowling
07-20-2015, 03:26 PM
The bowling balls aren't a big theft item. I can leave my bowling balls in my car in plain sight and they probably won't get stolen.

It just isn't a sought after item. Heck, for anyone to use it correctly they would have to spend $50-70 to plug and redrill anyways. I am also a hobbyist photographer and my camera gear is the exact opposite. Goes with me everywhere if not at home. I never leave it in the car.

John Anderson
07-20-2015, 03:48 PM
You have it exactly right. Nobody thinks of them as that valuable, well, because they aren't that valuable. They are relatively cheap to get a hold of and nobody really wants to buy used bowling balls. Pawn shops wouldn't buy them most likely. Pro shops definitely don't want to give you any money for them.

Amyers
07-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Yet you would be surprised how often they go missing from alleys

NewToBowling
07-20-2015, 04:34 PM
I asked one of the pro shops and he outright said we don't take in used balls. Not a big market for them. Plus it would undercut their new ball sales.

John Anderson
07-20-2015, 05:24 PM
I asked one of the pro shops and he outright said we don't take in used balls. Not a big market for them. Plus it would undercut their new ball sales.

Exactly. It's not to anybody's benefit really except those who have rather shallow wallets. I wouldn't personally buy used bowling balls.

NewToBowling
07-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Except shops make money on the drilling and not the ball. Many probably break even on ball

John Anderson
07-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Except shops make money on the drilling and not the ball. Many probably break even on ball

I'd be interested to know the actual markups as well. Now to hunt down some owner who is willing to provide some honest answers. Brunswick offers 10% rebates on sales greater than $1,000 per year, which is basically every pro shop that sells Brunswick/DV8 gear.

Tony
07-20-2015, 11:03 PM
It seems like used bowling balls are not very highly valued and with good reason, I only have purchased a used ball one time, I had shoulder surgery and wanted a ball to drill lefty to bowl league as a southpaw for a season. Turned out I ended up buying a new ball because a few months later when the used ball cracked between the finger holes and was unusable....doubt I will ever buy a used one again.
I have a couple of used 15lb balls used less than a season on them ( since I've went to 14 )and will probably give them to a teammate and the other to a buddy who needs a new ball but doesn't have the spare cash to get one right now.

J Anderson
07-21-2015, 04:31 PM
It seems like used bowling balls are not very highly valued and with good reason, I only have purchased a used ball one time, I had shoulder surgery and wanted a ball to drill lefty to bowl league as a southpaw for a season. Turned out I ended up buying a new ball because a few months later when the used ball cracked between the finger holes and was unusable....doubt I will ever buy a used one again.
I have a couple of used 15lb balls used less than a season on them ( since I've went to 14 )and will probably give them to a teammate and the other to a buddy who needs a new ball but doesn't have the spare cash to get one right now.

I've had good luck with the four of the five used balls that I've bought. The first two gave me a couple of seasons of good service before being retired to the closet. The HyRoad that I bought used is still the first ball out of the bag when bowling lefty. Only one of the balls has cracked. On the other hand, my White Dot started chipping around the finger holes after little more than a year.