PDA

View Full Version : Balls On Planes

onefrombills
08-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I was wondering is or has anyone checked in there bowling equipment on with them when flying and was there an extra charge due to the weight, or are you using the Bowling Ball Express, I am debating on flying or driving, i was just wondering if it was a hassle both verbally and financially checking in the equipment with you on the plane, i heard it can be done but that it would be rather expensive, can any one comment on there experience.

Thanks
BH~

bowlr721
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
when i went to nationals this year we flew to new mexico and i didnt have any problems as long as the bag isnt over 50 lbs your fine

onefrombills
08-18-2008, 03:37 PM
thx a bunch !!!!

PSBA10
08-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Several years ago when Nationals were in Corpus Christie my doubles partner decided to carry his balls on the plane instead of checking them. We got to the airport the prescribed 2 hours in advance and proceeded through the inspection area. My partners balls were x-rayed at least 6 times. The TSA officer running the x-ray machine could not figure out just what he was seeing. In the x-ray he could see the core material, but when he looked in the bag that is not what he saw. It took almost 2 hours, 3 TSA Supervisors, and finally a TSA Manager, fortunately a bowler, for his bowling equipment to finally be cleared to go on the plane. Needless to say that on the way back, he checked his bowling bag. Ever since we have used the Bowling Ball EXpress. That is definitely the way to go. Ship your balls and fill your bowling bag with clothing as a piece of luggage.

Duke Harding
09-12-2008, 07:43 AM
The last few USBC/ABC tourneys I used Bowling Ball Express.
My first ABC was in 1967. Through the years, I've had 1 roller totally demolished.
Luckily it was on the flkight home.
I was reimbursed for it, it was a PIA.
BBE is the way to go...if you bring 4 or more balls with you.
I hate lugging equipment through the airport, especially now, with the tight security.

onefrombills
09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys I travel with 6-8 balls