PDA

View Full Version : Full roller?

rhaith85
07-21-2015, 10:25 AM
So the other day, a fellow bowler in the same league, recommends me to get a full roller layout.
I've been reading a few articles about it but I'm not sure exactly what it'll do. Can anyone tell me what would be the pros/cons of it?
I'll see if I could upload a video.

bowl1820
07-21-2015, 11:11 AM
So the other day, a fellow bowler in the same league, recommends me to get a full roller layout.
I've been reading a few articles about it but I'm not sure exactly what it'll do. Can anyone tell me what would be the pros/cons of it?

Are you a full roller? (A full roller has their track between the thumb and finger holes)

If not why did they suggest you try a full roller layout, what was the reasoning behind it?

rv driver
07-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Yeah, unless you're a full roller, this doesn't make sense to me.

Mike White
07-21-2015, 01:58 PM

Since a normal full roller will track between the fingers and thumb,, a normal flare pattern will make the ball roll over the thumb hole at some point down the lane.

A full roller layout moves the bow-tie into the middle of the grip, so as the ball flares (it flares less), it's much less likely to roll over the thumb hole.

rhaith85
07-21-2015, 03:03 PM
my friend might be a full roller. but i'll post a pic of my bowling balls of how they are now. also, i am working to get a video for it.

John Anderson
07-21-2015, 05:18 PM
As Mike pretty much already explained, the point of a full roller layout is to avoid the ball flaring over your thumb hole which causes a less predictable hooking motion.

There is no benefit if you aren't a full roller.

rhaith85
07-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you for your responses. I'm working to get a video uploaded to youtube and then I'll link it here... Just trying to see what videos to put up... So if I get what you all are saying, that means if I were to get the ball with a full roller layout, the ball would hook less? Right now, I'm using a Thug Unruly, Hypercell Skid, and a Wrecker... I'm used to seeing my ball go down the lane, and then taking a left turn into the pocket.

foreverincamo
07-25-2015, 11:59 AM
You should be able to see if you're flaring over your thumbhole easily. This would tell you to change your layout

RobLV1
07-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Thank you for your responses. I'm working to get a video uploaded to youtube and then I'll link it here... Just trying to see what videos to put up... So if I get what you all are saying, that means if I were to get the ball with a full roller layout, the ball would hook less? Right now, I'm using a Thug Unruly, Hypercell Skid, and a Wrecker... I'm used to seeing my ball go down the lane, and then taking a left turn into the pocket.

I think that you are missing the point. A full roller layout will not make the ball hook less, or more, for that matter. The reason for a full roller layout is to get the ball to provide maximum efficiency for a bowler who throws a full roller. I know fuller rollers who cover the lane from gutter to gutter. The key is to get the ball to track in a way that it doesn't thump over the thumb hole if possible.

mrbowling300
07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
One of the best bowlers in the Detroit area is a full roller. Threw a 879 series a few years ago.

rhaith85
07-27-2015, 03:10 PM
well, i don't have a thumb hole. I bowl with no thumb.

RobLV1
07-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Regardless if you have a thumb hole or not, the track in relation to your finger holes has apparently led this other bowler to believe that using a full roller layout may give you a better ball reaction. It's not a matter of making the ball hook more or less, but creating a reaction that works for you. Talk to your PSO and see what he/she thinks.