PDA

View Full Version : highly upset last Tuesday!

Jessiewoodard57
07-21-2015, 02:59 PM
I normally show up an hour before my Tuesday night summer league to watch them oil the lanes. Last week I find that I was on lanes 7 and 8 and what do I find there??? A bowler from the money league practicing on our freshly oiled lane 8. Ends up he had been there for 4 games! I asked the manager why they would use a league lane? Her reply oh that won't hurt the lane. I beg to differ lane 8 sucked. now I understand that ours is not a "money" league but fair is fair if he is going to come in and practice I say let him bowl on his own pair that his team will be using. I joined a league to get to bowl on fresh oil!! I understand that as bowler we need to learn to read the lanes and move when the conditions warrant it but fair is fair. Bet if I was practicing on their lanes there would be hell to pay.

J Anderson
07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
I normally show up an hour before my Tuesday night summer league to watch them oil the lanes. Last week I find that I was on lanes 7 and 8 and what do I find there??? A bowler from the money league practicing on our freshly oiled lane 8. Ends up he had been there for 4 games! I asked the manager why they would use a league lane? Her reply oh that won't hurt the lane. I beg to differ lane 8 sucked. now I understand that ours is not a "money" league but fair is fair if he is going to come in and practice I say let him bowl on his own pair that his team will be using. I joined a league to get to bowl on fresh oil!! I understand that as bowler we need to learn to read the lanes and move when the conditions warrant it but fair is fair. Bet if I was practicing on their lanes there would be hell to pay.

I agree that the center wouldn't dare think about letting someone from another league practice on the money leagues lanes. However, it is highly frowned upon to let a bowler practice for a game or two on the same lanes he or she will be bowling on. It definitely gives that player an unfair advantage.

At the very least, if there weren't non league lanes to practice on, they should have given him the pair to practice on, rather than just one lane.

John Anderson
07-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Probably should have had the lane re-oiled or have the guy put somewhere else, but there isn't anything you can do about it if management refuses to fix the issue. All you can do is take your business somewhere else.

Tony
07-21-2015, 11:44 PM
I am wondering is the "manager" you spoke to even a bowler ? All but the most casual bowlers know that bowling on fresh oil and bowling on played on lanes is a whole different story. The people that run the lanes around my area are all protective of freshly oiled lanes for leagues and would never put bowlers on those lanes for practice. Maybe that person should be managing a McDonald's instead of a bowling center. I would complain to the owners if possible.

bobforsaken
07-22-2015, 12:24 PM

Looking at the bright side... if you knew lane 8 was going to be different because of prior use, that actually could be an advantage for you. Still, pretty idiotic for the manager to say the lane wouldn't be effected.

Jessiewoodard57
07-22-2015, 02:01 PM
On the bright side bodforsaken is correct knowing 8 was an issue we played a little to the left on it and did win our 3 games. I still felt the oh it won't matter was a bit much. this is a corporate owned AMF. This week the same lane was used again and guess what it was re-oiled before league play. so I guess my speaking up helped.

John Anderson
07-22-2015, 02:57 PM
On the bright side bodforsaken is correct knowing 8 was an issue we played a little to the left on it and did win our 3 games. I still felt the oh it won't matter was a bit much. this is a corporate owned AMF. This week the same lane was used again and guess what it was re-oiled before league play. so I guess my speaking up helped.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I only bowl at single operator houses. None of them are chains. There are three alleys I bowl at. One has 8 lanes, another has 12 lanes, and the last has 40 lanes. I like the 12 lane alley best because it has the newest scoring system. If I ever come across an extra $500k, I'm getting a house with two lanes put in my man cave basement.