PDA

View Full Version : League vs open play

NewToBowling
07-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Not sure what is going on. For the last week on open play on pair of lanes I have been easily getting over 200. And more impressive are the non strikes the ball is in the pocket and no cheap brooklyn strikes. Ball is hitting the pocket majority of the time with good speed and angle of entry. Some 240-250 games.

Come league night and I seriously averaged 130 for the night. And this was after a 217 in practice just a few minutes before.

I think it's mental. I tighten up (even though it's a "fun" league). I over rotate my hand instead of letting it go naturally and let the ball do most of the work. I don't keep my wrist firm. Targeting is off, etc...

Even after a terrible league night Monday last night I went and played 9 games and it seemed to come back to me. Hitting the pocket consistently and half of those games were over 200. One at 246 ending with 6 bagger.

We'll see come next week.

John Anderson
07-22-2015, 09:58 AM
I'd definitely attribute this to your mentality. If you are bowling in the mid 200s casually, you should still be able to break 200 in league. I know there is no easy way to do this, but you need to a find a way to relax during league.

NewToBowling
07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
I'd definitely attribute this to your mentality. If you are bowling in the mid 200s casually, you should still be able to break 200 in league. I know there is no easy way to do this, but you need to a find a way to relax during league.

Agreed. I am getting consistent during open play. I'm happy with my approach and release most of the time now. I'll have to work on mental game and learn to relax

Amyers
07-22-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree with the others if your bowling well right before league play and after league play then it's got to be in your head. I tended to have this issue early on too. I would get tight during league play which reduced my ball speed and then I would try to overthrow it to compensate. Easier said then done but try to relax. Some of it will come with time as you get more experienced with league play.

bobforsaken
07-22-2015, 11:07 AM
I had similar experiences the last month (Although not to the same extreme) of an adult youth league I just did. I was breaking 200 easily most games in practice and many were 215 or better. Come league time I kept averaging in the 190's. Turns out when I was practicing I had the normal house shot (somewhat fresh)... when I was doing the league they were only refreshing the heads... add to it I played the last 4 weeks on a pair that are notorious for sharp back ends anyway. I had more 4's, 9's and greek churches then I'd care to remember. I just couldn't keep a good look for long.

RobLV1
07-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Another factor that may be coming into play is practicing alone does not break the lanes down in the same way as bowling with from six to ten players on the same pair of lanes. On freshly oiled lanes, I know many top bowlers who will find a strike line at the beginning of practice and not use it again until the lights go on, just to keep it working for the first three or four frames. When you are bowling with a group, you need to think of it as the Magical Mystery Tour, trying to keep up with the changes in the oil. When bowling on a head run, it goes even faster.

HowDoIHookAgain
07-22-2015, 12:54 PM
I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with the ball, or the lanes, or the pins, or anything of the sort. In bowling, 90% of things can be traced back to your mechanics and mentality. The other 10% is lane conditions, pins falling/not falling, and sheer luck.

I may get some criticism for this, but I am most relaxed when I am either:
1. On my phone playing something
2. Eating something (what can I say, I love to eat. Especially the cheese fries I get at one center :D)
3. Joking around and laughing with friends

I find that I am my best when I am loose and relaxed, and having a good time. When I do this, everything seems to fall my way. But when I get tense, I do not perform well, and that is when I start to fail. As said above, easier said than done to relax, but it really does work.

When I first started competitive bowling, something that I found always helped was taking a deep breath before I began my approach. This really does work (that's why its been told for so long), and I think it will help anyone struggling to remain relaxed during competitive bowling.

Jessiewoodard57
07-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Not sure what is going on. For the last week on open play on pair of lanes I have been easily getting over 200. And more impressive are the non strikes the ball is in the pocket and no cheap brooklyn strikes. Ball is hitting the pocket majority of the time with good speed and angle of entry. Some 240-250 games.

Come league night and I seriously averaged 130 for the night. And this was after a 217 in practice just a few minutes before.

I think it's mental. I tighten up (even though it's a "fun" league). I over rotate my hand instead of letting it go naturally and let the ball do most of the work. I don't keep my wrist firm. Targeting is off, etc...

Even after a terrible league night Monday last night I went and played 9 games and it seemed to come back to me. Hitting the pocket consistently and half of those games were over 200. One at 246 ending with 6 bagger.

We'll see come next week.

Last week my son did the same thing averaged a 160 then the 1st game following league on the same pair rolled a person high game of 267 . I asked him why couldn't you do that last game. His first 6 frames where strikes then a 9 spare adding a few more strikes to top out at 267. He really wants to hit a 300 game I promised I would buy him a Storm Sky Rocket when he does

NewToBowling
07-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I need to relax more. Just joke around and take some tension off.

rv driver
07-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I need to relax more. Just joke around and take some tension off.
Don't we all?...

Tony
07-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Taking a deep breath or a shot and a beer might allow you to relax and not overthink everything, let the mechanics you've drilled again and again take over.

NewToBowling
07-28-2015, 12:11 AM
Played better tonight

169, 192, 222

Last game, started with turkey, gutter ball and 9 count in 4th frame. 5 bagger, 7-10 split in 10th.

I kind of figured it out. I was turning my hand too early and not waiting for the thumb to release before rotating. I would say I hit the pocket most of the time even when I left a few 10 pins (which I converted using straight ball aiming with index finger)

Hopefully I maintain course. I'm getting more and more comfortable with my release. I only used the Unhinged tonight

Amyers
07-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Nice set NTB looks like you are really making progress.

NewToBowling
07-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Yeah, just very inconsistent. In practice or league in 3 game sets I'll have 140 games next to 210 games.