PDA

View Full Version : Slumping

Cdolcejr
07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Well I was bowling great from December to Mid-May to the tune of 220-225 over the span of approximately 300 league games. Then my problem came. I bowled so much that my middle fingernail cracked to the nailbed and hurt tremendously every time I would release the ball. I believe the issue arose because my insert was a tad bit too small for my finger. I didn't want to take the summer off, so I got a little creative. I eventually tried cutting one of my finger inserts in half to allow me to release the ball without aggravating my fingernail further. It has worked. I now tape up the finger to avoid having the nail get hung up on the insert. I'm able to release the ball like I normally would. Surprising, my strike-ability has not suffered. I plan on going back to a normal insert once my fingernail is fully healed. I have however, began to struggle in my summer league. Instead of shooting the 660-700 series, I've been shooting 610's and 620's. What it comes down to is my spare game. Missing a few 10 pins here and there add up. I've chopped spares. It just seems that I miss at least one make-able spare every game. It's gotten to the point that its mental and its easy to become frustrated and dig the hold deeper instead of looking at the big picture.

I'm interested in your thoughts on how you overcome a mental slump. Also, have any of you ever dealt with a cracked fingernail?

vdubtx
07-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Have had some pretty good slumps in past couple years, and going through one right now. This summer has just had too much going on to put time into practice and thinking about bowling so much. Add to that taking up golf in the last couple months and I only bowl 3 games per week.

I have found that when you are slumping, to get some practice in and get things worked out. IN your case with your issue with a nail, I would actually take some time off and let it heal. Summer leagues are short, but Fall will be starting up soon enough. Do you want to deal with the nail the next fall season or get it worked out before it starts? That is up to you.

I know that shooting 610-620 or heck even 570-580 can be frustrating. That is where I am at right now the last 6 weeks or so since Nationals in El Paso.

J Anderson
07-23-2015, 12:17 PM
I haven't had to deal with a cracked nail. I have had to deal with slumps.

Most of the older bowlers that I've known say that in their prime the thought that they could miss a single pin spare never entered their minds. The main cause of many spare shooting slumps: lack of confidence. Tends to become a downward spiral, miss a few easy spares, you start to doubt whether you're lined up right, whether you can execute the shot correctly, etc., you miss more spares. I suggest that while waiting to shoot the spare you think only about how you plan to convert it. After picking up your ball take the minimum amount of time necessary to get lined up in your stance and focus on your target. Every extra second is a chance for doubts to creep in.

For some bowlers, missing corner pins becomes an emotional problem. Leave one 10 pin - okay, leave another one - gee, that should have been a strike, leave a third one and gosh darn it I'm getting robbed and then all the spare attempts start missing left and right. Whether you agree with Rob M that everything that's not a strike in the modern game is the bowler's fault or you believe that you're a victim of bad luck, an attitude check is required. You've left a 10 pin (or a 7). It is slightly more difficult to make than the 5 pin, it's not an impossible shot. Calm yourself down and deal with it. Then figure out why you keep leaving it and figure out how to change it.

The third thing I can think of is that the closer your spare delivery is to your strike one, the more accurate you should be.

Cdolcejr
07-24-2015, 10:30 AM
I haven't had to deal with a cracked nail. I have had to deal with slumps.

Most of the older bowlers that I've known say that in their prime the thought that they could miss a single pin spare never entered their minds. The main cause of many spare shooting slumps: lack of confidence. Tends to become a downward spiral, miss a few easy spares, you start to doubt whether you're lined up right, whether you can execute the shot correctly, etc., you miss more spares. I suggest that while waiting to shoot the spare you think only about how you plan to convert it. After picking up your ball take the minimum amount of time necessary to get lined up in your stance and focus on your target. Every extra second is a chance for doubts to creep in.

For some bowlers, missing corner pins becomes an emotional problem. Leave one 10 pin - okay, leave another one - gee, that should have been a strike, leave a third one and gosh darn it I'm getting robbed and then all the spare attempts start missing left and right. Whether you agree with Rob M that everything that's not a strike in the modern game is the bowler's fault or you believe that you're a victim of bad luck, an attitude check is required. You've left a 10 pin (or a 7). It is slightly more difficult to make than the 5 pin, it's not an impossible shot. Calm yourself down and deal with it. Then figure out why you keep leaving it and figure out how to change it.

The third thing I can think of is that the closer your spare delivery is to your strike one, the more accurate you should be.

Everything you wrote here I took to the lanes with me last night- ended up shooting 721 for the night...it really is just a matter of simplifying things and not thinking too much.

J Anderson
07-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Everything you wrote here I took to the lanes with me last night- ended up shooting 721 for the night...it really is just a matter of simplifying things and not thinking too much.

Thanks, positive feedback is good for us coaches as well as our students, even though my hat may not fit when I go back outside;)