PDA

View Full Version : What questions do you need to ask at a pro shop?

John Anderson
07-28-2015, 07:58 AM
When you walk into a brand new pro shop that you have never been to before, what questions should you ask the staff/owner?

RobLV1
07-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Ask what kind of ball you should buy. If he responds with anything other than, "I really need to see you bowl before I can recommend a ball for you," turn around and walk away... fast!

DukeDi
07-28-2015, 08:48 AM
To piggy back off of RobVL1's point. They should also spend some extra time with you asking what you are looking for a ball/equipment to do for your game. What kind of conditions/houses you are looking use it? Also find out what they charge for drilling then compare the over all price they will charge you for the ball vs the retail price of the ball online. That will tell you how much they mark up the ball. A fellow bowler paid 260$ plus for a DV8 Thug Unruly which retailed online at the time for 140. That's a 120$ mark up! Needless to say I will be steering everyone away from that pro-shop.

I've also been a victim of cronyism at pro-shops to where they only cater to regular customers and fail to connect to slightly more casual bowler. You will be able to sniff those guys pretty quickly.

Bottom line it is relationship that you need to trust and feel comfortable and becomes more critical when you bowl more often or are ready to step up your game to the next level.

My Pro-Shop Operator is 83. Up on on all the new balls and techniques. With out him I wouldn't have gotten my first 300 at age 39. He keeps threatening to retire. I only hope I find one just as good.

Good Luck!.

John Anderson
07-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Thank you to both of you. I'm headed to a shop this afternoon and will report back with the experience. Hopefully going to be measured and fit for a new ball, but I'm not sure I'm buying today. I'm a guy who does research before buying and I don't buy things impulsively, so I'll see how it goes. If prices are too high, I suppose I'll be supporting bowlingball.com and just getting it drilled in a shop.

NewToBowling
07-28-2015, 10:01 AM
I have found that "most" pro shops price their balls competitively with online retailers. They have to to survive. They make their money off drilling anyways.

Although not a deal breaker one shop I went to only offered finger tip inserts in black or yellow and slugs only in black. I like variety. I like having option of choosing from a variety of colors for my slugs/inserts (although yellow is preferred).

ChuckR
07-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Pro shops can be like any sales operation. Watch out for the "well it looks like you also need this and this, etc."

dougb
07-28-2015, 01:20 PM
The first thing to do is to see if they are IBSPIA certified. Then you know they at least have some credentials as a driller. They should also watch you bowl and take your measurements (PAP and grip) before they recommend anything. Even if you have a ball that feels comfortable, they should measure your grip as if you are a new customer that just walked in.

I usually ask what sort of fitting technique they use. I am partial to the Tri Grip method, and not all shops offer that. I also look to see what ball companies they are carrying. I like diversity. And I usually ask them what balls they are liking and selling a lot of.

Looking forward to your report back!

ChuckR
07-28-2015, 05:12 PM
I will add a comment I made in another post. When you are measured, be sure you have your support on. This assumes you use one. With the support set to your most usual setting can change the layout up to a 1/4" in my case.

John Anderson
07-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, here is the report for today. They don't have their own website for the pro shop. The bowling center's website lists the pro shop hours, which are indeed correct for September through May. June to August has different hours (even more limited) which I learned by showing up and looking at the door. Only 9 hours a week at the moment. I shall be going back tomorrow evening when they are actually open. Oh well. I should have called ahead first.

It wasn't a total loss though. I stopped at an advanced auto parts store nearby and got three microfiber towels for $6.

NewToBowling
07-28-2015, 05:32 PM
3 microfibers for $6 is expensive if it's your basic version. Costco/Sams/Walmart have them for around $0.30/each.

But if you want better ones order from theragcompany.com

http://theragcompany.com/16-x16-Eagle-Edgeless-Blue-Microfiber-Towel-41012-1616-B-EL.htm?categoryId=-1

These are designed for auto detailing so they are extremely soft. Fibers are cut so there are no loops

The big difference between these and cheap basic ones is they don't "catch" or "grab". When I wipe my ball I can easily just spin it with the microfiber towel in my hand where as the cheap ones tend to grab the ball.

That's all :)

Aslan
07-28-2015, 05:48 PM
When you walk into a brand new pro shop that you have never been to before, what questions should you ask the staff/owner?

It depends. If it's MikeW's pro shop I ask him if he's ever going to clean up the place. Other than that...I might ask something like, "Excuse me, where's the restroom?"

epiepenburg
07-28-2015, 06:41 PM
A fellow bowler paid 260$ plus for a DV8 Thug Unruly which retailed online at the time for 140. That's a 120$ mark up! Needless to say I will be steering everyone away from that pro-shop.

Thats a little pricey. I'm picking up a new Thug Corrupt tomorrow for $220 out the door. Yes I know I can get it for cheaper online, however then I have to take it to my pro shop where I will then be charged to drill and slug the ball. His price includes all that.

You can't expect a pro shop to sell for what they go for online. Pro shops will go out of business otherwise. I had a good conversation with my PSO about this very topic. He said he just can't afford to match their prices. I never have asked him to match online prices. He can get the equipment faster than I can, so there's perks to going through him. My PSO provides awesome customer service, and therefore I'm more than willing to spend the money with him and support a local business before I will buy online.

Mike White
07-28-2015, 07:24 PM
It depends. If it's MikeW's pro shop I ask him if he's ever going to clean up the place. Other than that...I might ask something like, "Excuse me, where's the restroom?"

The place is perfectly clean....

The trick to get it that way, was to sell it, so the new guy cleaned it.

John Anderson
07-28-2015, 07:43 PM
3 microfibers for $6 is expensive if it's your basic version. Costco/Sams/Walmart have them for around $0.30/each.

But if you want better ones order from theragcompany.com

http://theragcompany.com/16-x16-Eagle-Edgeless-Blue-Microfiber-Towel-41012-1616-B-EL.htm?categoryId=-1

These are designed for auto detailing so they are extremely soft. Fibers are cut so there are no loops

The big difference between these and cheap basic ones is they don't "catch" or "grab". When I wipe my ball I can easily just spin it with the microfiber towel in my hand where as the cheap ones tend to grab the ball.

That's all :)

Thanks for the advice. I know the price goes down to about a dollar a towel if you buy 50 of them, but I have no need for 50. Just to clarify, the towels were $5.99 for a 3-pack. They are really soft and grab my fingertips pretty well when I pick them up, so I can't complain what so ever. The nearest walmart to me is 20 miles or so, which means the gas would cost almost as much as the towels. I sincerely do appreciate the advice.

Well, I know the answer to that question. It's that empty bottle in your bag. Man up and hold it.

If it were Mike's shop, I'd bring in a car full of people who want to know why the Storm Crux's don't come in a 6lb version just for entertainment purposes.

Tony
07-29-2015, 05:56 AM
For me it comes down to customer service, I was bowling in one center and asked the PSO if he had any DV8 spare balls in black / 14lb, he looked and said no but I should be getting a shipment next week check back then..... Later that week I was driving past another PS and stopped in and asked about the same ball, he said he didn't have one but he immediately picked up the phone and called one of his other shops and found one, then said if you would like it I can have it here tomorrow. Guess who got the sale? The ball sells on-line for 49.00 and he sells it for 84 inc drilling (not inc slug and grips 21.00). If I bring a ball in he charges 45 for basic drilling, so I actually pay a little less overall to buy the ball from him, depending on the ball of course. The high end balls that sell for a larger discount online might be cheaper to purchase on-line.

Amyers
07-29-2015, 09:39 AM
As far as pricing goes I don't quibble over a few dollars. If I'm buying something currently in production I usually don't bother asking the price I know he'll take care of me on it. He has never charged me more than $60 over the online price including grips and slugs. If I'm buying a closeout I'll talk to him about price first If he can match it including $50-$60 for drilling I'll buy it from him if not I'll buy it and have him drill it. On one of my balls I bought for my daughter he was able to beat the closeout price on a bag I wanted for the other daughter they were selling it for less than half of his cost. I try to take care of him and trust him to take care of me to a point but I make it a point to know what stuff is selling for to make sure I'm not one of those guys who pays full price for a closeout ball.

John Anderson
07-29-2015, 04:39 PM
I will add a comment I made in another post. When you are measured, be sure you have your support on. This assumes you use one. With the support set to your most usual setting can change the layout up to a 1/4" in my case.

I completely missed your post before somehow. Thanks for the advice. I don't use a support/brace, but it's good to know that it makes a difference.

Aslan
07-29-2015, 04:54 PM
The place is perfectly clean....

The trick to get it that way, was to sell it, so the new guy cleaned it.

WHAT!!??

I never got the memo.

John Anderson
07-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Okay, what trade show is today guys? Owner left a note saying shop closed due to trade show. Kind of mad I drove to the shop two days in a row and it's not open either day. Oh well. I shall try again tomorrow.

Amyers
07-29-2015, 06:50 PM
Okay, what trade show is today guys? Owner left a note saying shop closed due to trade show. Kind of mad I drove to the shop two days in a row and it's not open either day. Oh well. I shall try again tomorrow.

How many times does john go before actually getting a ball?

Amyers
07-29-2015, 07:08 PM

Ace Mitchell big east coast distributor. It's in you neck of the woods. Cincinnati or Columbus.

John Anderson
07-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks Amyers. The answer is going to be three. I'm not going back if it's closed tomorrow too.

Amyers
07-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks Amyers. The answer is going to be three. I'm not going back if it's closed tomorrow too.

Good luck

Stormed1
07-30-2015, 09:56 AM
I know when I go to the Gran Prix show I'm closed for 5 days. Wednesday I take my bits in to be sharpened. I drive to St. Louis Wednesday, attend the show Thursday and Friday. drive home Friday afternoon/evening. I pick up the bits when the machine shop Monday morning and reopen that night

Amyers
07-30-2015, 11:24 AM
I know the Ace Mitchell show was two days but which two days this week I'm not sure.

John Anderson
07-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I know the Ace Mitchell show was two days but which two days this week I'm not sure.

Well, knowing my luck, it's probably yesterday and today and I'm about to see a dark shop with nobody there again. Hopefully it was Tuesday and Wednesday though.

John Anderson
07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Update: I was actually able to walk in the door to the shop and I have good news to report. Indeed the owner was at the Ace Mitchell show. Second, I was only in the shop for about 10 minutes. He asked what I was looking for, and I told him I was thinking about the Mastermind Scholar. He said okay great, I've got one here that a staff member used. Leave your other ball here, and I will have the scholar ready with a new thumb slug on Monday so I can watch you throw it. If it's too much ball for you, I've got plenty of other options available.

So, I am very pleased with the results thus far. There was zero attempt to sell me on anything today. Going bowling Monday night now. :D

Amyers
07-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Update: I was actually able to walk in the door to the shop and I have good news to report. Indeed the owner was at the Ace Mitchell show. Second, I was only in the shop for about 10 minutes. He asked what I was looking for, and I told him I was thinking about the Mastermind Scholar. He said okay great, I've got one here that a staff member used. Leave your other ball here, and I will have the scholar ready with a new thumb slug on Monday so I can watch you throw it. If it's too much ball for you, I've got plenty of other options available.

So, I am very pleased with the results thus far. There was zero attempt to sell me on anything today. Going bowling Monday night now. :D

Now that sounds awesome. One of my pro shops would do something like that the other wouldn't even think about it.

John Anderson
08-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Update: Shop was closed today due to family emergency. I didn't quite get the whole story, but it was either the owner or his wife who had to have surgery today. I'll have to call back Wednesday and see what's going on. Hopefully everybody is okay and it isn't anything too major. I'm just glad I started shopping early since I need to have a ball within three weeks so I can start practicing again.