PDA

View Full Version : Ball cleaner

John Anderson
07-31-2015, 05:04 PM
What's the best value cleaner available and where do you buy yours? Conventional products or home brew secrets welcomed.

This is for a pearl ball by the way, not that that should make a huge difference.

RobLV1
07-31-2015, 06:20 PM
Personally, I use Isopropyl Alcohol most of the time.

bowl1820
07-31-2015, 06:55 PM
What's the best value cleaner available and where do you buy yours? Conventional products or home brew secrets welcomed.

This is for a pearl ball by the way, not that that should make a huge difference.

There's pretty much no one answer, everyone has their favorite.

Neo-Tac Hook-it is one of the most powerful spray cleaners.

Powerhouse Clean'N Dull is about the best penetrating cleaner.

Alcohol has been used for years and will clean the surface off okay.

The Simple Green/Alcohol mix (a 50/50 mix) is a very popular home brew mix and has been used for years also.
(Some use a equal mix of SG&Alco&/water)

John Anderson
07-31-2015, 07:50 PM
Personally, I use Isopropyl Alcohol most of the time.

What concentration? I know I've got a bottle around already so I'd definitely try it.

Do any cleaners get some oil out of the coverstock? I know no surface cleaner will remove all oil, but some is better than none.

bowl1820
07-31-2015, 08:56 PM
What concentration? I know I've got a bottle around already so I'd definitely try it.

Do any cleaners get some oil out of the coverstock? I know no surface cleaner will remove all oil, but some is better than none.

Clean'N Dull and Hook-it both will remove some of the oil from the pores.

Here's a comparison of a ball with half cleaned with Clean'N Dull and the other half with Energizer Cleaner.
http://s5.postimg.org/6vmg412br/fetch_id_11014.jpg

Here's a comparison of a ball with half cleaned with Hook-it and the other half with Kegel Revive
http://s5.postimg.org/a5064xfbb/bbkrvshkit.jpg

John Anderson
07-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the awesome comparison. Where would you get either of those from? Pro shop? Online somewhere?

Tony
07-31-2015, 09:31 PM
I used to use straight simple green and lately have been using monster tac. It came free with a ball purchase, I think. I swear it smells and looks like windex but does seem to clean up surface oil and wheel marks from the ball returns.

Tony
07-31-2015, 09:36 PM
Thank you for the awesome comparison. Where would you get either of those from? Pro shop? Online somewhere?

Thanks for posting the reviews, I think both are available at Bowlingball.com.

bowl1820
07-31-2015, 11:19 PM

Your Pro-shop or you can get online (Bowlingball.com, Buddies etc.)

RobLV1
08-01-2015, 07:23 AM

100%. Just put some on a towel and wipe off your ball: easy and inexpensive.

dougb
08-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I've always been a fan of the the 50/50 simple green and isopropyl alcohol mix. Although be aware that while each are USBC certified for use individually, the mix is not.

I then hit really stubborn belt marks and refresh the ball every few games on my spinner with Neo Tac Renew It. Love that stuff!

ALazySavage
08-03-2015, 02:13 PM
100%. Just put some on a towel and wipe off your ball: easy and inexpensive.

RobLV1, I think the question was more on the type of Isopropyl alcohol (Such as 70%, 91%, 99%).

As for the question I either use straight 91%, the 50/50 blend with Green Clean, or after a long block I may use Clean 'n Dull.

vdubtx
08-04-2015, 11:45 AM
50/50 blend of Simple Green and Iso Alcohol here. Works great for me. So much cheaper than pro shop cleaners. Can get a gallon of Simple Green for less than $10. Mix a 32 oz spray bottle with simple green and alcohol and that will last you quite awhile. Rinse and repeat. :cool:

Stormed1
08-08-2015, 12:55 AM
I use Tac-Up cleaner and am trying some Vise ball cleaner wipes I purchased at a trade show a couple weeks ago

billf
08-15-2015, 11:21 PM
I've been using the Simple Green and Alcohol mixture for a couple of years now after reading vdubtx recommending it. Works as well as the more expensive cleaners, in my opinion and at a far cheaper cost.

MICHAEL
08-16-2015, 10:03 AM
The Simple Green/Alcohol mix (a 50/50 mix), I apply is with a sponge, then use a clean dry cotton half towel to remove the oil and rubber marks. Very soft sponge. I have my own ball spinner and it works great getting the oil/marks out. Good discount getting it from Sam's/Costco on both items!