PDA

View Full Version : High Scores - Who to Blame....

Iceman
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I pondered on this at one time, and today did some research on it. There are so many opinions of it, that my head is spinning.

Question is - thoughts on reasons for the higher scoring today then early years.

I've got 2 theorys on it:
High Performance Balls - better weight blocks, better CG's, coverstock differences.

Wall shot. (typical house shots that are setup to get to the pocket more often) The USBC knows this and let it happen - they even put these shots out at City tournaments to attract more bowlers.

Now before everyone jumps the gun here, I totally agree with oil patterns were like this in the old days too, but you do have to admit, the oil patterns of today has softened up a lot on 90% of the houses. Why do think they are trying to bring sports leagues into play and only a few are shooting well?

I think the USBC or governing body is the main reason why scores have increased severely, they don't even check the lanes anymore because people that shot 300's in the early years, would fail inspection due to oil length, or pin weights, etc. They would then get mad at the house for putting an illegal shot down. So the houses softened the shot to keep the bowlers there, and the USBC allows the houses to call in the honor scores (up to 2 days out I know of).

I know that most houses have a oil ratio they use, maybe 60 units in middle and 3 units outside for the snap and hook backends. Why can't they make it 40 units inside and 10 outside, wouldn't that put a premium shot in the bowler to score high, it would still be playable, just not give you the room to miss as we do have today on most house shots.

If we took a house pattern and made it a flat shot - 10 to 10 with same oil units across, even the high performance balls would not track to the pocket as easily, it would be up to the bowler to execute with skill shot after shot. Maybe they would start putting scores in the newspapers again for 600's. I know over time, people that love to bowl would get better and be proud of it, but I also think from a business standpoint, the house would lose revenue due to people not bowling anymore cause they can't shoot 680 with a 279 game.

I do realize that there are 2 sides to every question, and I'm wondering reasonings behind both.

bowl1820
02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
High Performance Balls and easy conditions have greatly increased scoring and averages. The thing in regard to the improvement of equipment over the years that gets me. Is how much the sport of bowling is vilified because of it.

Virtually all other sport's have had almost quantum leaps in equipment design that have improved scoring, speeds, times etc. yet the viewers and participants don't constantly complain or quit because of it.

I picked up a golf magazine and on one page they must of had 40 different balls that did different things. I didn't see anything about how they should go back to bals without dimples on them so they didn't fly as far.

How about NASCAR you don't see long discussions about how they should do away with the ground effects kits, that suck the car down to ground for more traction like a magnet. Or how drivers should not be able switch to different tire types because the track conditions changed.

They say everyone is quitting because the shots are too easy, but if they make them harder they say everyone will quit!

Instead of calling "Catch 22" lets call it "Bowler 22" .

Yes I think back in the day bowler's were better bowler's more accurate and such.

But a lot of today's problems are not solely the fault of THS or HP balls. a lot is the mentality of the bowler's.

onefrombills
02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
WOW what a question here ....I believe that we hit the nail on the stronger ball (cg's, mass bais...etc etc) but it also comes down to the local Assoc when they run a tourny they need to talk to the center(s) to but out more than their "house shot"

bowl1820
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I think that we should forget about balls for now, I kind of think the technology has been put in check by the market.

Balls kept getting more powerful till they hit particle balls, when the market said enough "too powerful".
Bowler's found that the particle balls were so limited in use. the Mfg. listened and have either stopped or slowed releasing new ones.

The standard reactive & reactive pearls have shown to be more versatile and able to stay in play longer than particles.

The focus should be on lane conditions and setting a standard that had to be followed on the league level.

Something like.

For open bowling or any unsanctioned event a house could put out whatever they wanted.

But for USBC sanctioned events like league or tournaments they should have a stricter requirement. It doesn't have to be some god awful hard pattern, there are challenging patterns that are fair to everyone.

What I'd like to see for league is something like a rotating or escalating shot. Say three patterns use a different one each third of the season with a increasing difficulty. Maybe a special pattern for position night or roll off. or rotate two patterns every few weeks.City and state and national tournament's should have more challenging shots than found on the league.

Iceman
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Virtually all other sport's have had almost quantum leaps in equipment design that have improved scoring, speeds, times etc. yet the viewers and participants don't constantly complain or quit because of it.

I picked up a golf magazine and on one page they must of had 40 different balls that did different things. I didn't see anything about how they should go back to bals without dimples on them so they didn't fly as far.

How about NASCAR you don't see long discussions about how they should do away with the ground effects kits, that suck the car down to ground for more traction like a magnet. Or how drivers should not be able switch to different tire types because the track conditions changed.

But a lot of today's problems are not solely the fault of THS or HP balls. a lot is the mentality of the bowler's.

Now this is a different angle and I respect it - and I can think about it more, because it makes all the sense in the world. All other sports have more technology, but the mentality of the players are much different, maybe due to the fact that it's more of the image of the PBA versus everyone else. Pro sports (Other than bowling) is a very marketable sport, it tends to increase the awareness for people to sit back and enjoy the game.

I rarely watch the PBA, I would rather do it myself :p, I know how good these guys and gals are, and I want to be just as good. I am no where near their skill level. I may never get there, but I will always try -

I like the ideal of the mentality change, is this media coverage or lack of causing this? Or is the governing body the root of the evil. I don't mean to pass the puck on the USBC, but when problems arise in a sport, everyone turns to the governing body for answers or solutions. I know it's a money thing with everything, but there has to be a line to be made in sanctions. Why do we try for the 300 and 800 as the USBC has made them lifetime awards. Why don't everyone pay $50 to the USBC, give everyone a 300 ring, and let's bowl on tougher/playable shots and raise the difficulty level throughout the year. (Love that ideal). This will show everyone how much better they are getting or not.

I heard so much complaining tonight that the crankers couldn't move left and carry, they were light hitting all night. I just moved to 15 right with feet and played up 3-5 - shot the 660 I aim for and didn't miss any spares. Did have 2 (8 - 10) splits, but bad shots happen. I couldn't believe the complaining I heard tonight.....Funny

Iceman
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM

Now this is a different angle and I respect it - and I can think about it more, because it makes all the sense in the world. All other sports have more technology, but the mentality of the players are much different, maybe due to the fact that it's more of the image of the PBA versus everyone else. Pro sports (Other than bowling) is a very marketable sport, it tends to increase the awareness for people to sit back and enjoy the game.

I rarely watch the PBA, I would rather do it myself :p, I know how good these guys and gals are, and I want to be just as good. I am no where near their skill level. I may never get there, but I will always try -

I like the ideal of the mentality change, is this media coverage or lack of causing this? Or is the governing body the root of the evil. I don't mean to pass the puck on the USBC, but when problems arise in a sport, everyone turns to the governing body for answers or solutions. I know it's a money thing with everything, but there has to be a line to be made in sanctions. Why do we try for the 300 and 800 as the USBC has made them lifetime awards. Why don't everyone pay $50 to the USBC, give everyone a 300 ring, and let's bowl on tougher/playable shots and raise the difficulty level throughout the year. (Love that ideal). This will show everyone how much better they are getting or not.

I heard so much complaining tonight that the crankers couldn't move left and carry, they were light hitting all night. I just moved to 15 right with feet and played up 3-5 - shot the 660 I aim for and didn't miss any spares. Did have 2 (8 - 10) splits, but bad shots happen. I couldn't believe the complaining I heard tonight.....Funny thing, High games for game 1 and 2 were 235 and 228, which I had first game, and last game went to 259. So it was the same across the house, why complain about that.

jaws1945
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
The sad thing is that the horse has left the barn and you can't go back. I respect the people that maintained a 200 average thirty years ago. The fundamentals of the game do not always apply anymore and it has evolved into a power game. I also think the advent of synthetic surfaces has made it difficult to maintain an honest condition. Unfortunately for me my game has actually gone backward. I just don't have the ball speed necessary to maintain consistency.