PDA

View Full Version : Contest August 3, 2015 to August 9, 2015 - Storm Sky Rocket

BowlingBoards.com
08-03-2015, 03:31 PM
We are giving away a Storm Sky Rocket for a random poster from August 3, 2015 through August 9, 2015.

== General Giveaway Rules

Every post made on BowlingBoards during the dates listed above will be considered an entry. Drawing will be done the first business day following the contest period. Winner will be contacted via email and through BowlingBoards.com.

BowlingBoards is a moderated site and reserves the right to delete any post deemed illegitimate, automatic, or just plain off topic.

The goal of BowlingBoards is to bring more people into our community. Participate in the conversations happening here. And while you are at it, you will be earning entries into our drawing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE! -- We reserve the right to redraw a winner if the winning post is not of quality content. Quality content is at the sole discretion of the BowlingBoards.com administrators. This means that one word posts will not qualify. Repeating what someone else has said does not qualify.

Just participate in the conversation instead of "trying to win" a drawing. The more you participate, the better your chances.

Amyers
08-03-2015, 03:54 PM
This is one I actually want for myself. Their is one in the pro-shop that I keep talking myself out of. If I win it here it would save me.

foreverincamo
08-03-2015, 05:59 PM
I would give this one to my daughter. She wants a new ball. Hope this one smells like dirty socks or something funny.

tmark6788
08-03-2015, 07:04 PM
I would love to win this ball!! Haven't won anything yet from either bowling ball give aways!!! Here's hoping for some good luck on a week filled with bad luck so far!!!

Tony
08-03-2015, 07:28 PM
The ball taste like Sangria, I think there is a song about it .....

John Anderson
08-03-2015, 08:14 PM
I didn't get the first one, but I still have a chance at this one. It's an awesome looking ball.

rperez
08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Looks like a green missle going down the lane

John Anderson
08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Looks like a green missle going down the lane

What pictures are you looking at? It's sky blue and charcoal. There is no green on the ball.

Tony
08-03-2015, 11:49 PM
What pictures are you looking at? It's sky blue and charcoal. There is no green on the ball.

I know it says sky blue but on my screen it looks a little more teal so I can see how it might also appear green in some pics or on some screens.

fortheloveofbowling
08-03-2015, 11:55 PM
I think it is time for me to win again. I will take a 16lb with a 3-4 inch pin please.

Jessiewoodard57
08-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I would give it to my son . Promised him one when he hit his first 300. 275 is the closest he has come but he'll get there.

frenzel2k
08-04-2015, 05:47 PM
I am looking into getting this ball for the upcoming season. I hear its supposed to be a good ball to have. Cant wait to try this ball

atravis149
08-04-2015, 10:07 PM
This is an awesome looking ball! It will look gorgeous going down the lane.

Blacksox1
08-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Storm Sky Rocket.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTM9jARC4XE)

I am in for the pearl cover, symmetric core and the layout will be rico. I believe this ball could surpass the old Marvel Pearl.
Following link provided to show how this ball would react with a rico layout.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTM9jARC4XE)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTM9jARC4XE

foreverincamo
08-05-2015, 10:35 PM
My one daughter wants a new ball now to the point she doesn't want to use the old one. I'll buy her one if I can't win one. I don't want her to lose interest. She's a natural athlete and could easily do well at this sport if she sticks with it. It's hard to compete with video games and the Internet

Amyers
08-06-2015, 09:34 AM
My one daughter wants a new ball now to the point she doesn't want to use the old one. I'll buy her one if I can't win one. I don't want her to lose interest. She's a natural athlete and could easily do well at this sport if she sticks with it. It's hard to compete with video games and the Internet

I just wish I could get my daughters to pick balls out for what they do instead of what they think is pretty :rolleyes:

John Anderson
08-06-2015, 11:34 AM
I just wish I could get my daughters to pick balls out for what they do instead of what they think is pretty :rolleyes:

I go for a combination of the two. There are so many choices available that can do what you want them to depending on how they are drilled and what the specs are before drilling. Then just pick the one with a not completely ugly color scheme.

I suppose though I'm not very picky about it. Pretty much any colors other than pink and neon colors are okay with me.

Amyers
08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
I go for a combination of the two. There are so many choices available that can do what you want them to depending on how they are drilled and what the specs are before drilling. Then just pick the one with a not completely ugly color scheme.

I suppose though I'm not very picky about it. Pretty much any colors other than pink and neon colors are okay with me.

The biggest problem I have with my eldest daughter. She has a high ball speed and doesn't generate a lot of revs. She only wants to purchase pearl equipment which is not the best mix for her but if it's not shiny she's not interested. I've even tried to get her interested in some of the more matte finishes and just doesn't do it for her.

John Anderson
08-06-2015, 02:52 PM
The biggest problem I have with my eldest daughter. She has a high ball speed and doesn't generate a lot of revs. She only wants to purchase pearl equipment which is not the best mix for her but if it's not shiny she's not interested. I've even tried to get her interested in some of the more matte finishes and just doesn't do it for her.

What about a polished solid then? Or are most of those too ugly for her as well since most are single colors?

rv driver
08-06-2015, 04:59 PM
If I don't win the Rocket, I will have to radio in: "Houston, we have a problem!"

rv driver
08-06-2015, 05:03 PM

This raises an interesting point:

We can create bowling balls that will practically signal before making a hard left turn. We can create bowling balls that smell like root beer, bubble gum and cherries. We can create bowling balls with pictures and logos inside them. Why can't ball companies hire design people who can design a decent color pattern 100% of the time?? It's not like they're putting people on the moon (which has already been done, BTW).

Amyers
08-06-2015, 08:46 PM
What about a polished solid then? Or are most of those too ugly for her as well since most are single colors?

I'm not a real believer that there is much difference between a polished solid and a pearl

rv driver
08-06-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm not a real believer that there is much difference between a polished solid and a pearl
SHHHHH!!! You're going to let the secret out!!

John Anderson
08-07-2015, 04:54 PM

The solid will probably still absorb more oil unless the pearl is dull.

frenzel2k
08-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Have not tried a pearl ball yet but would like to give one a go. Love bowling and cannot wait for the upcoming season. Been practicing here and there hoping to increase the average next season

rperez
08-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Green pearl! .. I'm going to love it

Mike White
08-09-2015, 08:23 AM
The solid will probably still absorb more oil unless the pearl is dull.

Why do you think this is the case?

John Anderson
08-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Why do you think this is the case?

Solids have more porous coverstocks. There is physically more surface area available for oil to be absorbed into.

Mike White
08-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Solids have more porous coverstocks. There is physically more surface area available for oil to be absorbed into.

Ok, but they can only absorb oil, if it gets on the surface of the ball.

Since both types of balls will absorb all of the oil on the surface, the only way a solid would absorb more is if more oil becomes attached to the surface than a pearl.

Is there any reason to believe the solid ball attracts more oil off of the lane than a pearl?

NewToBowling
08-09-2015, 05:17 PM
I guess John is intimating that solids absorb oil quicker. So if you let the oil linger and don't wipe it doesn't matter. But if you wipe the ball before every shot the pearl over the long run will absorb less oil

John Anderson
08-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Ok, but they can only absorb oil, if it gets on the surface of the ball.

Since both types of balls will absorb all of the oil on the surface, the only way a solid would absorb more is if more oil becomes attached to the surface than a pearl.

Is there any reason to believe the solid ball attracts more oil off of the lane than a pearl?

Even though the ball looks round just like a pearl, the surface is anything but round at a microscopic level. It would appear rather mountainous with pits in between all the mountains. Think of it as having retention basins in the coverstock. All reactive balls have these, but they happen to be the largest on solids and smallest on pearls, with hybrids falling somewhere in between.

John Anderson
08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
I guess John is intimating that solids absorb oil quicker. So if you let the oil linger and don't wipe it doesn't matter. But if you wipe the ball before every shot the pearl over the long run will absorb less oil

This is exactly what I am saying but you just said that a lot better.

Amyers
08-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Even though the ball looks round just like a pearl, the surface is anything but round at a microscopic level. It would appear rather mountainous with pits in between all the mountains. Think of it as having retention basins in the coverstock. All reactive balls have these, but they happen to be the largest on solids and smallest on pearls, with hybrids falling somewhere in between.

John,

I hate to disagree but your confusing surface with cover stock composition. You could have a pearl with deep grooves just as easily as you could a solid or hybrid. You will more normally see solid balls finished with lower surface grits and pearls polished or with higher surface grits but there are exceptions to this rule. The Rotogrip Hysteria and Hammer Viral are both polished solids the closest I can't think of a pearl with a real low surface grit off the top of my head The Hammer Arson Low Flare Pearl comes at 3K or 4K. Basically the mountains and pits you are referring to is the surface of the ball and any ball can have any surface put on it be it pearl, hybrid, or solid. The difference between pearl, hybrid and solid has to do with the additives in the actual makeup of the cover stock pearls having additional mica (from what I've heard) added to cause the ball to slide farther. Hybrids are a mix of solid and pearl cover stocks mixed together.

Now solids may have larger pores which is different and takes place at an even smaller level than surface but I'm not entirely sure that even that is correct. Actually porosity of different cover stocks is something I've never seen discussed with real numbers so anything said that way is simply supposition. Many of us suspect that solid lower grit surfaced heavy oil balls probably do absorb more oil than a comparable polished surface ball but I would guess there is a lot of variation even between those. It's always important to remember the difference in what we know, what we suspect, and what's just rumor.

Kells
08-10-2015, 03:38 PM
This is the new Storm ball that I am most excited about. I really hope I am able to get it!

John Anderson
08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
John,

I hate to disagree but your confusing surface with cover stock composition. You could have a pearl with deep grooves just as easily as you could a solid or hybrid. You will more normally see solid balls finished with lower surface grits and pearls polished or with higher surface grits but there are exceptions to this rule. The Rotogrip Hysteria and Hammer Viral are both polished solids the closest I can't think of a pearl with a real low surface grit off the top of my head The Hammer Arson Low Flare Pearl comes at 3K or 4K. Basically the mountains and pits you are referring to is the surface of the ball and any ball can have any surface put on it be it pearl, hybrid, or solid. The difference between pearl, hybrid and solid has to do with the additives in the actual makeup of the cover stock pearls having additional mica (from what I've heard) added to cause the ball to slide farther. Hybrids are a mix of solid and pearl cover stocks mixed together.

Now solids may have larger pores which is different and takes place at an even smaller level than surface but I'm not entirely sure that even that is correct. Actually porosity of different cover stocks is something I've never seen discussed with real numbers so anything said that way is simply supposition. Many of us suspect that solid lower grit surfaced heavy oil balls probably do absorb more oil than a comparable polished surface ball but I would guess there is a lot of variation even between those. It's always important to remember the difference in what we know, what we suspect, and what's just rumor.

Please do disagree with me and continue to do so. I learn nothing if everybody just agrees.

Amyers
08-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Please do disagree with me and continue to do so. I learn nothing if everybody just agrees.

Always something new to learn