PDA

View Full Version : Is an adult allowed to use a 6 lb ball on league?

morgothaod
08-05-2015, 01:02 AM
I tried to Google the answer and I read that an adult bowling with a 6 lb ball can damage the pins. Is that true? Also, would I have to worry about the bowling ball possibly splitting in half? I want to use a 6 lb ball because I have bad wrist pain when I bowl (I use a wrist guard and fingertip inserts). My plan was to have a 6 lb ball drilled conventionally, so I can hopefully be pain free. However, I don't want to do it if it would be an issue on league or outside of league.

Tony
08-05-2015, 03:18 AM
I would not worry about using a 6lb ball it will not cause a problem.

bubba809
08-05-2015, 06:41 AM
If 6 Lb balls are available on the rack then you can use a 6 Lb ball.

J Anderson
08-05-2015, 08:14 AM
I tried to Google the answer and I read that an adult bowling with a 6 lb ball can damage the pins. Is that true? Also, would I have to worry about the bowling ball possibly splitting in half? I want to use a 6 lb ball because I have bad wrist pain when I bowl (I use a wrist guard and fingertip inserts). My plan was to have a 6 lb ball drilled conventionally, so I can hopefully be pain free. However, I don't want to do it if it would be an issue on league or outside of league.

I doubt that a 6 pound ball is going to break an almost 4lb pin. I think the main concern is having someone throw one into the ceiling or bounce onto another lane.

John Anderson
08-05-2015, 09:10 AM
I think you should be talking to a doctor about this pain you are having if you have to drop all the way down to a 6lb ball. I'm not a big guy and even 8lb feels extremely light to me.

There is no rule against using a 6lb ball unless the bowling alley staff walk up to you and tell you to stop using it. Any league should allow it as it really is a disadvantage to use such a light ball.

Amyers
08-05-2015, 09:33 AM
I know a lot of the houses here probably wouldn't like it much as most of the 6lbs. equipment is kept behind the desks at my local houses to keep adults from using them. The reasons I have been told is that the ball returns have a hard time picking the 6 lbs. balls up and they are afraid one of local college kids will hurt someone pitching the balls at 30 mph. I would talk to the owner where you bowl and see if they have an issue with it. My guess if it's because of an injury they would be ok with it but I agree with John if it's so serious you need to drop all the way to 6lbs. you need to see a doctor asap.

morgothaod
08-05-2015, 09:47 AM
The pain isn't bad enough where I can't bowl with a heavier ball. I use a 13 lb now and can bowl pretty much pain free after practice (The first 5 shots always hurt me). However after I'm done bowling, my wrist is a bit sore/hurts and the top of my hand experiences discomfort as well. The going down to 6 lb is more of a preventative measure. The goal would be just to bowl to socialize and establish a new average. I hope too that it would eventually allow my wrist and hand to heal. I tried taking 2-3 months off of bowling but it never improved. I'm thinking that if I switch from fingertip to conventional grip, that would lessen or eliminate any pain in my hand since I have a better grip on the ball. Also not cupping my wrist to hook the ball, would make it feel better along with a much lighter weight. Not sure what to do... wish doctors weren't so expensive heh.

jab5325
08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
If you have to go all the way down to 6lbs, it's time to give up the game for a bit and go see a doctor.

If the doctor clears you, invest in lessons to get your release (i.e. wrist) in the right position to put less stress on your body. At that point, go to a reputable proshop and get a ball drilled to better specs.

At 6lbs, you won't be establishing much of an average.

J Anderson
08-05-2015, 10:32 AM
The pain isn't bad enough where I can't bowl with a heavier ball. I use a 13 lb now and can bowl pretty much pain free after practice (The first 5 shots always hurt me). However after I'm done bowling, my wrist is a bit sore/hurts and the top of my hand experiences discomfort as well. The going down to 6 lb is more of a preventative measure. The goal would be just to bowl to socialize and establish a new average. I hope too that it would eventually allow my wrist and hand to heal. I tried taking 2-3 months off of bowling but it never improved. I'm thinking that if I switch from fingertip to conventional grip, that would lessen or eliminate any pain in my hand since I have a better grip on the ball. Also not cupping my wrist to hook the ball, would make it feel better along with a much lighter weight. Not sure what to do... wish doctors weren't so expensive heh.

Pain is your body's subtle way of letting your brain know that something's wrong.

If 2-3 months of not bowling did not cause the wrist to improve, I doubt that dropping the weight by half is going to fix it. You really do need to have a professional look at your hand and wrist.

A ball that is properly fitted with a fingertip grip is not harder to hold onto than a conventional grip ball.

Aslan
08-05-2015, 03:48 PM
if you have to go all the way down to 6lbs, it's time to give up the game for a bit and go see a doctor.

If the doctor clears you, invest in lessons to get your release (i.e. Wrist) in the right position to put less stress on your body. At that point, go to a reputable proshop and get a ball drilled to better specs.

At 6lbs, you won't be establishing much of an average.

this

Mike White
08-05-2015, 04:19 PM

From: http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/equipandspecs/pdfs/ESManual.pdf

Weight
The weight of the ball shall not exceed 16.00 pounds. There is no minimum weight.

3) For a ball weighing less than 8.00 pounds
a) Not more than 3/4 ounce difference between the top half of the ball (gripping holes
side) and the bottom half of the ball (side opposite the gripping holes).
b) Not more than 3/4 ounce difference between the half of the ball to the left and the half
of the ball to the right of the center of grip (side weight)
c) Not more than 3/4 ounce difference between the half of the ball toward the thumb
hole side of the center of grip and toward the finger holes side of the center of grip
(thumb/finger weight).
d) A ball used without any gripping holes or indentations may not have more than 3/4
ounce of difference between any two halves of the ball.

As for the ball breaking. A couple of Ebonite's "Angry Bird" 6lb balls had the surface material crack due to impact, mainly because the inner portion of the ball is made of lightweight material.

I would go with an inexpensive urethane ball to get more reliability.

HowDoIHookAgain
08-05-2015, 06:56 PM
As with everyone above, I completely agree with stopping bowling. I play baseball too, and I'm a pitcher, so my pitching arm is my #1 asset. If I'm pitching one day and my arm feels sore, I normally know that it's too much on my arm. No big deal, I just ice it up and I'm normally good a day or two later. But if something hurts, then I know something is wrong. I actually had to stop throwing for a few months because of my shoulder (wasn't grown in all the way, and it was popping and clicking. Still does, but nowhere near it was when it started). And even though I hated it, I'm glad I did it now because if anything, the at-home exercises, physical therapy, and probably well-needed break from baseball more than likely made my arm stronger.

If I was in your shoes, I would immediately stop bowling and go see a doctor right away. You don't want this bit of pain turning into a lot of pain. You say the first 5 shots always hurts. That's a big red flag for me, because it means you shouldn't even be doing it. At any age, pushing through the pain is the last thing you want to do. Doctors may be expensive, but there's a reason why they get paid so much money. They're the best at what they do (normally), and I would not hesitate to spend some cash to see a doctor about something like this.

In the end, what's more worth it; changing your ball, grip, bowling style, and just about everything (as well as dumping money into a new ball you may not even need), or spending a bit of cash to fix something that may spell certain doom to your bowling career?

Jessiewoodard57
08-05-2015, 07:24 PM
re read question my answer made no sense to me

rv driver
08-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Doctors may be expensive, but there's a reason why they get paid so much money. They're the best at what they do (normally), and I would not hesitate to spend some cash to see a doctor about something like this.

But think about this: Somewhere is the world's worst doctor. And somebody's got an appointment with him tomorrow. Just food for thought...